BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jack Straw held secret crisis talks with Blackburn officials

I have to wholeheartedly echo Gumboots' recognition of the good work that BRFC's Education dept. are doing, not just in terms of race relations but in terms of the work they do for all kids who for whatever reason have found themselves disillusioned with their school/education system. This is another reason why it's so important for people like Jack Straw to stop Venkys taking our club into oblivion. If I remember rightly BRFC's Ed. dept. have won a few national awards for their efforts. Who/what would continue their work if the Rao family withdrew their funding?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Schools still have a very strong link with Rovers through the education programme. Our school has had various subject visits (leisure and tourism and business studies groups I think to name but 2) this year already. Kids are beginning to get more interested in rovers but when you have no history of supporting the club you have to be encouraged, not derided and made to feel uncomfortable.

Yes, although my kids are now well beyond school age I am aware of this, in fact it received excellent coverage on MOTD recently - better than our game!!

What I had in mind with my original post was the Soccer Schools which used to be held all round the local area on Saturdays and during school holidays / half term.

This is 15 or more years ago so excuse my poor memory. The school holiday events used to last several days and depending on the time of year were in or outdoor, the kids only had to turn up with a packed lunch and footy kit.

On Saturdays my lot used to be dropped at Witton Park Or BRIC around 10.00am and we collected them at Ewood in time for the match. I forget the cost but a match ticket was included.

Much of the training seemed to be run by or with apprentices / trainees who generally worked very hard.

The whole thing was extremely good and guess what - every kid who turned up was in a Rovers shirt

Yes, although my kids are now well beyond school age I am aware of this, in fact it received excellent coverage on MOTD recently - better than our game!!

What I had in mind with my original post was the Soccer Schools which used to be held all round the local area on Saturdays and during school holidays / half term.

This is 15 or more years ago so excuse my poor memory. The school holiday events used to last several days and depending on the time of year were in or outdoor, the kids only had to turn up with a packed lunch and footy kit.

On Saturdays my lot used to be dropped at Witton Park Or BRIC around 10.00am and we collected them at Ewood in time for the match. I forget the cost but a match ticket was included.

Much of the training seemed to be run by or with apprentices / trainees who generally worked very hard.

The whole thing was extremely good and guess what - every kid who turned up was in a Rovers shirt

So your on about Rovers football in the community department?

I thought most clubs ran this sort of thing anyway, why would Rovers have stopped?

So your on about Rovers football in the community department?

I thought most clubs ran this sort of thing anyway, why would Rovers have stopped?

I don't know. Am I?

Shame people don't read before remarking on a conversation

I don't know if, why or when it stopped but have the feeling it has.

Anyway Merry Christmas to you all .............. Enjoy yourselves.

Actually when many public sector workers were on strike in November there was a circular went out from rovers about socccer schools that day for kids who weren't in school but whose parents had to work so it would appear they still do these things; they run them in holidays too.

I was listening to Radio 5 yesterday. There were three politicians from the three main parties on being interviewed. They were asked if they had friends in opposite parties. One of the guys said that he had quite a good personal relationship with Jack Straw (I imagine that this guy was a conservative) and that they had been been dealing with the Venky's crisis at Rovers together. Any idea who this could be?

I was listening to Radio 5 yesterday. There were three politicians from the three main parties on being interviewed. They were asked if they had friends in opposite parties. One of the guys said that he had quite a good personal relationship with Jack Straw (I imagine that this guy was a conservative) and that they had been been dealing with the Venky's crisis at Rovers together. Any idea who this could be?

Didn't hear it Roy, but in the lead up to the General Election, Radio 5 got the 'three wise men' together, and I think one of the presenters mentioned they were getting their collective thoughts on European happenings lately. Somebody representing each major party. As far as I can remember, they were David Davies from the Tories, David Blunkett from Labour, and Menzies Campbell from the Libs. So maybe it was Davies? Not in this format, but Jack Straw is quite often interviewed.

• 4 years later...

Archived