BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jailed over Twitter?

• Backroom

I just don't understand what could possess somebody to write the things he did on a public forum like twitter with an account that not only tells people exactly who he is, but even the university he goes to!

He has to at least have a small degree of intelligence to be (or have been at) a university. I just can't fathom the thought process behind his actions. Being drunk (not that I believe he was) isn't an excuse.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.... and that freedom of speech as a right doesn't exist in the uk, this highlights it

I believe it does in principle (so we can pretend to be a proper democracy) but in reallity we have added lots of riders and exceptions with that daft Human rights act.

Its a sad day in the history of our country if you can be jailed for having a view. I don't agree with what he said but I sure would defend his right to say it.

Just out of interest, have you seen the tweets, and more pertinently what he said in reply to those who took him to task?

Doesn't matter mate...this is a free country, or it was. You should be able to express your view regardless. Dont remember them jailing the muslims who were demonstrating at wooton bassett calling for all non muslims to be beheaded etc.....

This country is going down the pan....

I would suggest that you do read what he's posted. You wouldn't be able to use the language or sentiment in any country in public and not expect to face some retribution.

I watched it unfold that night, Collymore et al retweeting etc.

I thought that if he was coming out with it in a pub or on a street, he'd be lucky to avoid getting a good hiding.

Did I think 'he should get 60 days in prison and be thrown out of his 3rd year Uni course?' Of course not. Unbeleivable overreaction and a worrying trend.

• Backroom

Sticks n stones I was taught .

If you believe that then you would have to think it across the board though, fact is some things go beyond that for example the poppy burning incident, they should have been punished but technically it was all just sticks and stones stuff so should we just have ignored it? Incidentally was anyone punished for that? I recall a lot of people calling for it but don't remember the fallout

We're in an age were you can be punished for offending folk and I tend to think its a good thing in part.

• Backroom

I think it's crazy Tom ... You can bottle someone and get a bit of park cleaning but you can do bird for writing something.

To be honest there's so many holes in the legal system its crazy, problem is judges aren't robots and if one has a good day then can be lenient and vice versa if they have a bad day. It's clear this case has been treat harshly due to the public nature of it.

I do think he needed punishing for it but it doesn't stack up when he gets 56 days and this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8939276/Mercy-for-the-drunk-Muslim-girl-gang-who-attacked-woman.html

Warrants a community order, the excuse there is laughable as well

Nothing to do with judges having "an off day". This was a high-profile case with racial implications, therefore this clown was made an example of, pure and simple.

'Making an example' doesn't stack up in law as far as I am aware Topman.

Archived