BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jailed over Twitter?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The lad (Liam Stacey) who made those comments on Twitter about Muamba has been jailed for 56 days.

And yet we have people getting suspended sentences (if even that) for kicking someone half to death.

This country.

Indeed Toppers.

Some of the crimes suspended sentences, 'community orders' and curfews are handed out for is unreal- robbery, drug offences, drink driving etc

Yet some oik comes out with some filth on the internet and gets two months in jail?

'Made an example of', simple as that.

• Backroom

I do think people need to face up to the consequences of making horrific remarks on twitter etc. But jail? In a time where prisons are horrendously overcrowded I just don't see the sense in sending him to prison. He isn't a physical threat to anybody and IMO community service and a fine would have sufficed. It would have still given him a criminal record and limited his employment and insurance prospects significantly.

I take it Ken Livingstone is now going to be arrested for his remarks on 'rich Jews'?

It's pathetic. Little girls are getting shot and paralysed in corner shops by out of control scum, no bloody law and order any more, yet we're cheering as one of the great unwashed gets sent down for tasteless comments he posted in the ether.

:glare:

I have not read or do i care to read the comments, but does this mean DEAD people jokes on text or sikkipedia can result in jail?

will all the muslim clerics that preach death to infedels all be banged up now?

Not pouring water over the seriusnous of the stricken player but its been OTT .It was like Princess di but he hadnt died.

not only was he mocking somebody who was basically dead on the football pitch, he was also giving it the "big I am" with people who pulled him up on his comments - lets see if he plays the big man while residing in the big house...

He broke down in tears. no longer the big man! he'll meet a few bigger boys in prision (of all skin colours).

Instant karma.

There was a show on BBC1 a few weeks ago, about cyber bullying and racism. They tracked a guy down in wales and he was such a scumbag. When asked why he did it, his response was ;"I did it cos i can etc.. etc..."

Its endemic of our society. People behaving appallingly with little or no morals.

Maybe this case will make idiots, racists, bullies and scum think twice; before looking for aggro or a cyber erection!

I have not read or do i care to read the comments, but does this mean DEAD people jokes on text or sikkipedia can result in jail?

will all the muslim clerics that preach death to infedels all be banged up now?

Not pouring water over the seriusnous of the stricken player but its been OTT .It was like Princess di but he hadnt died.

OTT ? there's more things that should upset/ annoy you, abbey. :rolleyes:

what the tragedy showed was there were a lot of people out there showing sympathy, empathy and human decency!

what the tragedy showed was there were a lot of people out there showing sympathy, empathy and human decency!

I didn't see much of that coming from you zac when it came to that poor mush trying to raise funds for his primary school...

Having read what he posted, the stuff on Mumaba is distasteful, but the rest of the stuff is way beyond what any sane person would think was remotely acceptable. If he'd have said it to people in the flesh, he would have been likely have been arrested. However, there's not a chance he would have said it to a person in the flesh, as he would have known getting arrested would have been the least of his worries.

He broke down in tears. no longer the big man! he'll meet a few bigger boys in prision (of all skin colours).

Instant karma.

There was a show on BBC1 a few weeks ago, about cyber bullying and racism. They tracked a guy down in wales and he was such a scumbag. When asked why he did it, his response was ;"I did it cos i can etc.. etc..."

Its endemic of our society. People behaving appallingly with little or no morals.

Maybe this case will make idiots, racists, bullies and scum think twice; before looking for aggro or a cyber erection!

I have no problem with people being upset but when he was sat up chatting in bed ,people still carried on like he died.I posted on my bronco site about him and glad hes on the mend but after the initial shock it got out of hand. Theres NO mention of the players dad who dad at the scottish cup final or the girl who died after being hit with a rugby ball.

What I hate most about our justice system is its double-standards for the rich and famous.

If that bloke had been joking about Joe Bloggs having a heart attack, you'd be lucky to see a police caution.

It's pathetic. Little girls are getting shot and paralysed in corner shops by out of control scum, no bloody law and order any more, yet we're cheering as one of the great unwashed gets sent down for tasteless comments he posted in the ether.

:glare:

Correct. God only knows what fate would have befallen him if Muamba had actually died. The entire incident from start to finish has been massively overblown.

End of the day he only has himself to blame regardless of whatever else

Maybe Tom but the punishment should always fit the crime. This lad has just been made an example of.

to all those saying he deserves jail,I put this to you.

You smash a bottle on someones head and you get 100 HOURS CS

you write something on twitter and you get jailed....

WOULD YOU RATHER BE CALLED NAMES OR HIT OVER THE HEAD WITH A BOTTLE?

For once, I completly agree with you Abbey.

Hang on, Abbey needs to answer that first! :glare:

He's a very silly guy but jail is too harsh on him. He can't blame anyone else though. They have made an example of him, I can only hope it actually stands as an example to others who would consider posting the garbage he did.

what about all these supporters in spain and russia who make monkey noises at black players, do they get jail sentences? no, their clubs, fa's get fines which are so small that it wont even put a dent in the pockets!!!

• Backroom

While it may be harsh I stand by that he only has himself to blame. Of course far greater crimes are met with far lesser punishments but if someone does something as stupid as that in public then don't whinge when it comes back and bites you.

Yes he's been made an example of but if he hadnt made racist comments on a public forum about a young dad who led fighting for his life then he wouldn't be in this mess.

While it may be harsh I stand by that he only has himself to blame. Of course far greater crimes are met with far lesser punishments but if someone does something as stupid as that in public then don't whinge when it comes back and bites you.

Yes he's been made an example of but if he hadnt made racist comments on a public forum about a young dad who led fighting for his life then he wouldn't be in this mess.

Have you decided that verbal racism is worse than GBH Tom.

As for this case the lad is obviously a young @#/? cos the issue here imo was not black and white it was life or death! Unfortunately if we imprisoned all like that we'd need to turn the Isle of Man into a penal colony! The fact that sticks in my craw is that Stan Collymore waster / woman beater / serial dogger / all round nutcase (whose biographer unsuprisingly is none other than our arch enemy Oliver Holt) reported him to the police. What a paragon of virtue he has become all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

Did Collymore ever do time for slapping Ulrika?

It's disproportionate sentence, and that should be of concern.

Taking it to extremes, if someone got caught for shoplifting and got sentenced to twenty years, would we all be saying: "Shouldn't have done it then, should he?"

The fact that sticks in my craw is that Stan Collymore waster / woman beater / serial dogger / all round nutcase (whose biographer unsuprisingly is none other than our arch enemy Oliver Holt) reported him to the police. What a paragon of virtue he has become all of a sudden.

+10 Gordon

• Backroom

But would you rather be hit with a bottle Tom or have someone call you words on twitter ..

It's not a choice I have to make, I agree with the sentiment entirely though and of course GBH is far worse but he still only has himself to blame in a way, unless of course we think he looked up appropriate punishments for GBH before he did this and presumed he would get less for his crime. I think we can all agree a community order or fine or whatever would have been punishment enough especially after being outed, the lads safety may be in danger though in a prison.

Lads ruined his life because he acted like a tit online, harsh and he's made a lesson of but lets hope it stops others doing the same.

Glenn has said many times on here about people not being as safe behind a keyboard as they may think and that freedom of speech as a right doesn't exist in the uk, this highlights it

Archived