BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Observations on how the place has changed

I left the area in 1979 and since then have only been back for weekends and not got out much until the last 9 days, which I have spent helping my parents prepare to move house for the first time in 35 years.

It has been very interesting to see just how much has changed over that time. I should say that this is purely subjective and not very representative - for example I have not got nearer the town centre than Staples at Darwen St Bridge.

The biggest thing to strike me is that most places I remember that made things are now gone and in the main replaced by places that sell things, which makes little sense really but seems to be the way of things all over the country.

I would have expected this massive change to have killed off the local shopping areas, so I have been pleasantly surprised by how much more vibrant Mill Hill is compared to what I remember and what I expected. More shops on the roads off the main drag, not a "To Let" sign to be seen, and the locals as warm and welcoming as I remember when I used to get my supper at Standen's Chippy, with a particular call-out to the wonderful ladies and customers in the Hospice Charity Shop. I was a bit surprised to see an Indian takeaway though as I'd been led to believe this was an impossibility.

I was also very impressed by the tip / recycling centre near Montague St - far better organised and user-friendly than any I have encountered in Birmingham and Canada. It's the people that make the difference.

The decline of the pub trade is very noticeable with many places I remember now gone or selling second-hand carpets or whatnot. I was delighted though to discover for myself that the 4 pubs in Tockholes are still going. The Black Bull, heaving last night, is testament to the truism that you have to offer something unique these days, and, at 2.50 a pint, it was excellent value. The Rock also is trying hard with a good pub food menu - 2 for the price of one midweek - and a roaring real fire which warmed my toes yesterday after my farewell walk around the village I have always called home. I was somewhat surprised that they were ALL closed on monday and we had to go as far as the Belmont Bull for a drink. Surely they could liaise and stagger their closings for the benefit of all?

The M65, which is barely 100 yards away from me at this moment, has opened up the area in a way unimaginable before. Last Sunday I took my parents to a Titanic Memorial concert at Colne Muni, and what an excellent evening it was. I had never even been to Colne in my life as it was such a pain to drive through everywhere to get there.

Darwen is close to my heart, being a St. Edwards primary school lad, and it seems to have changed far less than Blackburn. Darwen Library, paid for and opened by Andrew Carnegie himself, was where I discovered a love of reading and subsequently writing, and is still a joy. Pity the station is now unmanned and the overcrowding on the rush hour train from Manchester was of Calcutta standards. There will soon be job openings for Japanese-style pusher-oners.

Overall it has been a very enjoyable stay and leaves room for optimism that decline is not inevitable.

Crikey!...... An ex Darrener eh? Are you related to Ewood Spark by any chance? Thats a very positive and generous overview on Blackburn 2012 EiT. Well done. :tu:

...........Remind me to strike Toronto off my 'places to visit before I die' list. It must be absolutely bloody awful. ^_^

Crikey!...... An ex Darrener eh? Are you related to Ewood Spark by any chance? Thats a very positive and generous overview on Blackburn 2012 EiT. Well done. :tu:

...........Remind me to strike Toronto off my 'places to visit before I die' list. It must be absolutely bloody awful. ^_^

I somehow suspected you might be first to reply! I consider myself a Darrener as do most from Tockholes I reckon. I was very glad to see they had preserved the old frontage to the baths there where I learned to swim under the fearsome Mrs Scholes.

I thought it might be interesting to those who live here who perhaps take for granted the good bits to see a long-term perspective. Overall, I found the reports of the death of Blackburn to be premature, the south side of the town anyways

Toronto is a terrific city, although I live in a town about the size of Blackburn 30 miles outside, but very different to life here.

I was very glad to see they had preserved the old frontage to the baths there where I learned to swim under the fearsome Mrs Scholes.

Darwen is doing better than Blackburn imo. You are right Mrs Scholes was not a woman to be trifled with. 'Fearsome' is an understatement.

Diid you gander round the ranges?

Audley Range? Haven't been up there since I used to go to my Grandad's shop on Chester Street. Obviously I'd have a different impression of the town if I'd ventured into Audleystan.

We're you walking DOWN Heyes Lane after the match? By the time I clocked I had seen your pic on twitter we were heading in diff directions

Always good to hear an ex pats view.

All we get off the residents is pure depression and defeatism about the place. I dont know if anyone ever ventures onto the LT site. aLL the comments are negative even about the new shopping centre and Market ...

All we get off the residents is pure depression and defeatism about the place. I dont know if anyone ever ventures onto the LT site. aLL the comments are negative even about the new shopping centre and Market ...

Shopping centre fine, new market ok, but I prefered the old one. Public transport fine.

I did walk in and straight out of the worse pub I have seen for awhile - adelphe if I have the name right at the bus station.

Fenhurst / hungry horse not bad. Golden cup ok pub, friendly folk in there. Postal order also ok.

Very curious to know what they are going to do with the old market area.

I get the impression Darwen is fairing better.

Always good to see the old place. But always good to come home again. I love living on the south coast.

I read these everyday. It really is the closest picture of life at home. Some of the comments are corking; either miserable or brilliantly sarcastic.

I get back less and less now. It used to be twice a year but now it's every other year. I have really noticed changes with Blackburn, not so much Accy. People though seem more aggressive towards everything; each other, driving, walking down the street. Maybe it's me, but I don't remember it being like that.

I read these everyday. It really is the closest picture of life at home. Some of the comments are corking; either miserable or brilliantly sarcastic.

A few miserablists do not represent the majority who enjoy living in east Lancashire. The town has changed over the years and in many cases for the better; those harking back to the "good old days" are pining for a rose-tinted past that never existed. I have lived and worked all over England but home is where the heart is. I feel sorry for those who have moved away.

The decline of manufacturing has been sad and was politically motivated but is not irreversible and as wages and others costs rise in emerging economies there are increasing number of reports of production being brought back to this country. With reference to the Blackburn - Manchester railway there are plans redouble the line scandalously reduced to single track 30 years ago and allow provision for a half-hourly service and more modern trains. Darwen station has also been allocated funds for significant investment.

A few miserablists do not represent the majority who enjoy living in east Lancashire. The town has changed over the years and in many cases for the better; those harking back to the "good old days" are pining for a rose-tinted past that never existed.

There was much more wealth around in the past. Things change of course but without wealth generation we have fallen back to a depressed northern town. If you need proof just look at the buildings that were built a century or so ago and compare them to the buildings of today.

There was much more wealth around in the past. Things change of course but without wealth generation we have fallen back to a depressed northern town. If you need proof just look at the buildings that were built a century or so ago and compare them to the buildings of today.

The Victorians built civic buildings in style but I doubt the folk who had to live in a terraced 2-up 2-down with outside loo would agree with your statement. I don't remember all this "wealth" you are talking about but I do remember extreme poverty and slums most of which have now happily been cleared. You might feel it is a "depressed northern town" but I think it is a pleasant place to live. We need more jobs but then so does most of the country except the expensive and overcrowded south east.

The Victorians built civic buildings in style but I doubt the folk who had to live in a terraced 2-up 2-down with outside loo would agree with your statement.

You remember them when they were 100 years old and times and building designs had changed but I'd wager when they were first built they'd be a major improvement on what the workers were used to in the 19th century. In fact my grandparents doctor advised them to move to a terrace from a damp farmhouse for the good of my Grandmothers health.

I rem a trip to Prague and passing those Commie utalitarian buildings. 'Panelaks' the Czechs called em but thay are all over the old Warsaw Pact countries. Shoe boxes they are, pigeon holes even, but I read the people loved them when they were first built cos they featured hot and cold running water on tap and inside lavis.

Some of the buildings that were knocked down and replaced by 60s concrete blocks was a travesty.

Indeed. In fact the magnificent old Tech building only escaped by the skin of it's teeth! Look at the colour pic lower down the page and wonder at the mentality of the people who wanted to flatten that in the mid 70's! Ironically one half of em will be dead, gone and forgotten by now whilst the building lives on.

http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?LANGUAGE=eng&pageID=1401

• 3 weeks later...

Good .. Is the Bman back or passing thru

We'll see Abbey. I kinda grew tired of this type of forum/messageboard.Needed to take a break. Anyways, good to see you are doing well..Talk to you later

Archived