BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Squad for the Euros

England's 23-man squad for Euro 2012

Goalkeepers Joe Hart (Manchester City), Rob Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

On standby Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

There's a few players I wouldn't of taken... Green, Johnson, Barry, Downing and Defoe, all average players who don't improve a team, the rest you can't fault (apart from the racist)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeepers Joe Hart (Manchester City), Rob Green (West Ham United), John Ruddy (Norwich City)

Defenders Leighton Baines (Everton), Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Ashley Cole (Chelsea), Glen Johnson (Liverpool), Phil Jones (Manchester United), Joleon Lescott (Manchester City), John Terry (Chelsea)

Midfielders Gareth Barry (Manchester City), Stewart Downing (Liverpool), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Frank Lampard (Chelsea), James Milner (Manchester City), Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Arsenal), Scott Parker (Tottenham Hotspur), Theo Walcott (Arsenal), Ashley Young (Manchester United)

Forwards Andy Carroll (Liverpool), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham Hotspur), Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Daniel Welbeck (Manchester United)

On standby Jack Butland (Birmingham City), Phil Jagielka (Everton), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Johnson (Manchester City), Daniel Sturridge (Chelsea).

There's a few players I wouldn't of taken... Green, Johnson, Barry, Downing and Defoe, all average players who don't improve a team, the rest you can't fault (apart from the racist)

Phil Jones?? Did Steve Kean not find him :)

• Backroom

I'd have looked to take a far younger squad, personally. Just a shame that Kyle Walker and Jack Wilshere aren't fit. For me A.Johnson, J.Henderson, D.Sturridge and J.Butland (the stand-bys) would be there in place of G.Barry, F.Lampard, J.Defoe and R.Green respectively.

Crouch would've been in ahead of Carroll.

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, Ben Foster, Jack Butland

Defenders: D.Rose, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, M.Richards.

Midfielders: Stewart Downing, Steven Gerrard (captain), A.Johnson, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Scott Parker, Theo Walcott, Ashley Young, J.Henderson, J.Rodwell.

Forwards: P.Crouch, D.Sturridge, Wayne Rooney, Danny Welbeck.

Though I do wonder if Walcott should be played up front. Played there once for England and bagged a hat-trick vs Croatia!

Wouldn't take Henderson. Seen a lot of Liverpool games this season and he is frequently the worst player on the pitch. Downing doesn't deserve a place IMO although Adam j hasn't really played very much for city. Would have taken Richards instead of Johnson.

• Backroom

#hodgsonout trending on Twitter.

England fans have EVERY RIGHT to protest.

While I (as stated) would've done something VERY different with that squad, this is a man who took Switzerland to 3rd in the world. I'll do my best to reserve judgement til after the Euro's.

johnson? really? i think hes one of the best attacking right backs in the world, ok he cant defend but neither can dani alves and noone slates him. Oh yes i forgot hes brazilian so that makes it all right

I'd definitely have Richards over Johnson, Lennon over Downing, Carrick over one of the midfield duds (not Barry), anyone over Green.

I'm Scottish but defo would of picked a different squad - Carson over Greem, Richards over Glen Johnson, Jagielka over Lescott (who needs the right partner), Adam Johnson over Downing, Grant Holt and then Crouch over Carroll, and Sturridge over Welbeck.

Altho its not often u just pick the 23 best players for the right positions and was expecting even more Man Utd players, Smalling and Cleverly etc

Wouldn't even bother having Henderson in the standby list.

I feel England's strongest 11 is -

Hart

Richards Ferdinand Jones A Cole

Oxlade-Chamberlain Lampard Parker A Johnson

Rooney Strurridge

johnson? really? i think hes one of the best attacking right backs in the world, ok he cant defend but neither can dani alves and noone slates him. Oh yes i forgot hes brazilian so that makes it all right

Glen Johnson doesnt even deserve to be in the same sentence as Dani Alves!!

Also you say he doesnt get slated for not being able to defend because hes Brazilian, but the Brazilians play a complete different style of play to the English which involves near enough everyone attacking, the English dont play like that... Dont get me wrong, id love them too, but nobody has the balls to play that type of football!

Yep, Johnson.

Richards is the better player, can actually defend and is arguably just as good going forward, plus Jones can cover right back if needed. Johnson = poor squad decision.

Whoever goes it's pointless, they'll win FA. Only one way for success; Steve Kean in. Think about it, he saw the the potential in Jones when everyone else though he was a chump, I even have it on good authority that the only offer Jones had at the time was from Flitty at Chorley. Just imagine what he would do with some of the world's Europe's Britain's England's best talent at his disposal?

Glen Johnson doesnt even deserve to be in the same sentence as Dani Alves!!

Also you say he doesnt get slated for not being able to defend because hes Brazilian, but the Brazilians play a complete different style of play to the English which involves near enough everyone attacking, the English dont play like that... Dont get me wrong, id love them too, but nobody has the balls to play that type of football!

Agree in the most part.

Ball retention, (Barca and Swansea like) and relentless attacking, is the best form of defence for Brazil, Spain and Germany.

All discovered by Steve Kean.

Whoever goes it's pointless, they'll win FA. Only one way for success; Steve Kean in. Think about it, he saw the the potential in Jones when everyone else though he was a chump, I even have it on good authority that the only offer Jones had at the time was from Flitty at Chorley. Just imagine what he would do with some of the world's Europe's Britain's England's best talent at his disposal?

I have it on good authority Kean advised Alf Ramsey back in good ol' 66 on his squad selection.

This guy has real pedigree, no doubt about it.

Agree in the most part.

Ball retention, (Barca and Swansea like) and relentless attacking, is the best form of defence for Brazil, Spain and Germany.

Exacty, i agree some teams do it in england (swansea), but unfortunatly the National team for some reason will never do it! Especially Hodgson! that makes johnsons selection even more pointless!

I have it on good authority Kean advised Alf Ramsey back in good ol' 66 on his squad selection.

This guy has real pedigree, no doubt about it.

Did Kean not instruct Alf through his FA & UEFA badges? I'm sure I heard something along those lines.

Archived