BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Serie A Bosman Defenders

he6rt6gr6m

There's quite a few of them flying around at the moment, and our current crisis at the back could do with some quick-fixing. As of writing, I'm confident these are all currently Bosman, however that could change quickly.

• Gabriel Heinze. 34. His contract is actually up with Roma, but he is still with the club at their training camp. Roma seem to be waiting until the last minute to do something. Bologna are said to be interested in him, along with...

• Marco Cassetti. 35. Once again, on a free, and Roma don't seem interested in renewing. Plays right wing-back, and occasionally deployed as a centre back. Was injured most of last season.

• Fabio Grosso. 34. Left wing-back. World Cup winner. Considered by many Juventus fans as rubbish. Received a Scudetto medal for playing two games last season, due to Paolo De Ceglie's drop in form. Did well in both, but has been out of favour for a while.

• Gianluca Zambrotta. 35. Full back on either side willing to bolt forward and put crosses in. Former Juventus, Barcelona and Milan player. Turned out for Milan 16 times last season. World Cup winner.

• Damiano Ferronetti. 28. Purely here because I buy him on Football Manager. Plays as a left-back, but never really had a chance at Udinese. Looks like he is negotiating with Catania, Atalanta and Pescara. Only played 68 games in 8 years though.

• Worth a mention for other positions: Giampiero Pinzi. 31. Played as an attacking midfielder last season with Di Natale up front. With Asamoah now at Juventus, Udinese may want to keep hold.

• Worth a mention (NOT BOSMAN): Simon Kjær. 33. At Roma last season, but had a very average one. Had an excellent Euro 2012. On loan from Wolfsburg, and Roma are said to be asking for another 12 month loan.

Simon Kjaer has been highly regarded for a while, we would have very little chance if we were still in the Prem......don't know about a few of the others but have obviously heard of Heinze, Zambrotta and Grosso......I can't really see us signing them but Edgar Davids went to Crystal Palace, Vicente went to Brighton and we might sign Nuno Gomes so you never know.

I wanted us to sign Arne Friedrich, the former German international defender but I think he has now gone to America. I will have a look later for any other aging, experienced defenders of which we are of desperate need.......preferably not injury prone either.

Other defenders whose contracts are running out from the Italian league are Cristian Chivu, Ivan Cordoba, Per Kroldup and Walter Samuel.....all centre backs and all too good for us but they are getting on a bit now and hopefully they always wanted play in England and wouldn't mind playing in the C'Ship.....really can't see it though.

vs. Holland, Goal.com wrote:

The Roma centre-back looked shaky earlier on but grew in authority, providing a firm base for an excellent defensive display, particularly in the second-half. Constantly made good decisions and was often a step ahead of the Dutch forwards.

http://www.goal.com/en/match/71168/netherlands-vs-denmark/player-ratings

vs. Portugal:

A display that was marked with good, bad, and ugly. When things were organised at the back, he had no trouble. But when he was forced to defend alone, he struggled.
(What, exactly, were they expecting if the defender is alone?)

http://www.goal.com/en/match/71170/denmark-vs-portugal/player-ratings

vs. Germany:

Played second fiddle to Agger, but had an excellent game as he won almost every challenge he was forced to make and kept space tight for the Germans as they moved inward.

http://www.goal.com/en/match/71173/denmark-vs-germany/player-ratings

So yes, you MUST have been watching some other games.

Yea I think you must have been watching other games. Against Holland, Krohn-Dehli got the plaudits but him and Agger were the main reasons why they won that game.

I also seem to remember him having a good game against Germany. As for the Portugal game I can't remember but I think I would have if he was a "disgrace". And even if he did play badly in those games (which he didn't), the likes of Van Persie, Gomez and Cristiano Ronaldo are fairly good players.

Habib Beye - 34 - Was good at Newcastle...left when they were relegated and hasn't done much since - RB who can also play CB

Nicky Shorey - 31 - Good player in the C'ship.....LB

Danny Colllins - 31 - Stoke player and Welsh international who has spent the last couple of seasons on loan in the C'ship - CB

Fitz Hall - 31 - QPR and I think he was one of their centre backs in their promotion season...I could be wrong - CB

Danny Shittu - 31 - QPR, used to play for Bolton - CB

Danny Gabbidon - 32 - QPR, used to play for West Ham...also a Welsh international - CB (these 3 players played under Warnock but not Hughes)

Germany -

Oliver Barth - 32 - Freiburg - CB

Andreas Hinkel - 30 - Freiburg, used to play for Celtic...was pretty good but then lost his place to a new signing and then got a serious injury...for Celtic that is...21 caps for Germany - RB

Hans Serpei - 35 - Schalke, 36 caps for Ghana - Full back....don't know which side.....Shirt Number 2 so I presume RB

Andreas Ibertsberger - 29 - Hoffenheim, 14 caps for Austria....missed last season with a chronic back problem - don't know where he plays in defence

Christian Rahn - 32 - SpVgg Greuther Furth player...5 caps for Germany - full back

Mikael Silvester - 34 - Werder Bremen, ex United and Arsenal....40 caps for France - CB who can play LB

WIll look at other leagues later.....in the meantime, get on it Blackburn officials/scouts

Habib Beye - 34 - Was good at Newcastle...left when they were relegated and hasn't done much since - RB who can also play CB

Nicky Shorey - 31 - Good player in the C'ship.....LB

Danny Colllins - 31 - Stoke player and Welsh international who has spent the last couple of seasons on loan in the C'ship - CB

Fitz Hall - 31 - QPR and I think he was one of their centre backs in their promotion season...I could be wrong - CB

Danny Shittu - 31 - QPR, used to play for Bolton - CB

Danny Gabbidon - 32 - QPR, used to play for West Ham...also a Welsh international - CB (these 3 players played under Warnock but not Hughes)

Germany -

Oliver Barth - 32 - Freiburg - CB

Andreas Hinkel - 30 - Freiburg, used to play for Celtic...was pretty good but then lost his place to a new signing and then got a serious injury...for Celtic that is...21 caps for Germany - RB

Hans Serpei - 35 - Schalke, 36 caps for Ghana - Full back....don't know which side.....Shirt Number 2 so I presume RB

Andreas Ibertsberger - 29 - Hoffenheim, 14 caps for Austria....missed last season with a chronic back problem - don't know where he plays in defence

Christian Rahn - 32 - SpVgg Greuther Furth player...5 caps for Germany - full back

Mikael Silvester - 34 - Werder Bremen, ex United and Arsenal....40 caps for France - CB who can play LB

WIll look at other leagues later.....in the meantime, get on it Blackburn officials/scouts

Fitz Hall, Shittu and Gabbidon, are you serious?

Fitz Hall, Shittu and Gabbidon, are you serious?

Basically what happened was we were relegated from the Premier League and now we have to play in this division called the Championship that has a lesser standard of player.

Examples of players who have shone in the Championship in recent seasons are Jason Roberts and Keith Andrews.

Basically what happened was we were relegated from the Premier League and now we have to play in this division called the Championship that have a lesser standard of player.

Examples of players who have shone in the Championship in recent seasons are Jason Roberts and Keith Andrews.

wish I could +1 this for the sassy reply

Basically what happened was we were relegated from the Premier League and now we have to play in this division called the Championship that have a lesser standard of player.

So Hall, Gabbidon and Shittu would all shine in the championship?

So Hall, Gabbidon and Shittu would all shine in the championship?

Fitz Hall -

"Under Neil Warnocks management of QPR, Hall was an everpresent member of the promotion winning squad of the 2010-11 season which saw QPR win the title. Hall's excellent defensive parnership with Kaspers Gorkks was influential in Rangers keeping a record number of clean sheets on the way to the Championship title."

"

The centre-half made 19 league appearances for Rangers last term and, although - at times -his season was hit by injury, Hall's contribution to the cause certainly didn't go unnoticed."

Danny Gabbidon -

"

Named in the 2003/04 PFA Division One Team of the Season,"

"Cardiff were prepared to offer him "...the most lucrative contract ever offered to a Cardiff player", with club owner, Sam Hammam, saying, "I want to make Danny Gabbidon a cornerstone of Cardiff City FC, I see him as the absolute future of this football club personified."

"His performances for his country during the year won him the Welsh Footballer of the Year award in October 2005. He established himself in central defence alongside Anton Ferdinand and helped West Ham to a mid-table position in the Premier League in the 2005–06 season and to the FA Cup final in May 2006, receiving a runners-up medal. After his performances in the 2005–06 season, he was voted 'Hammer of the Year' with Marlon Harewood named as runner-up."

"

Gabbidon made his West Ham debut in a 3-1 home win against Blackburn Rovers in August 2005 and, in just his first season with the Club, was voted Player of the Year following a series of outstanding displays in the Hammers rearguard.

Despite experiencing the odd blip with injuries, Gabbidon largely excelled during his time with the Irons."

Danny Shittu -

"After a successful

2007–08 season with Watford in which Shittu also scored 9 goals in all competitions, he was named in the PFA Championship team of the year."

"After impressive performances in the Championship winning season he was offered a new 12 month contract in June"

So in answer to your question, yes I think they would.

So in answer to your question, yes I think they would.

Despite your assurances about Gabbidon from 9 seasons ago, Shittu 5 years ago and Hall admittedly only 2 seasons ago, having seen them play football I'd assure you they aren't good enough.

Despite your assurances about Gabbidon from 9 seasons ago, Shittu 5 years ago and Hall admittedly only 2 seasons ago, having seen them play football I'd assure you they aren't good enough.

With Gabbidon, it said he had largely excelled during his time at West Ham which was 2005-2011. You just highlighted the fact that he got in the Championship Team of the Year at the age of 24 as a reason why he couldn't do it at 32 despite having more experience etc.

With Shittu, it said he was offered a contract after impressive performances in QPR's promotion season a couple of years ago.....I should have added the date on the second point. Although once again if he was good enough to get in the Team of the Year at about 27, I'm sure he could do the same at 31.

With Hall, it was 2 seasons ago yes, but like I had said in my original post Hughes didn't play any of them when he became manager so you can't really have expected them to do anything last season.....yes maybe there was a reason Hughes didn't play them but it is largely irrelevant as that was in the Prem and we are not.

How many times have you seen them? If it was consistently then fair enough but I doubt it would be and if the club that they played for rated them, then I would be more inclined to believe them.

I wouldn't want any of them in the Prem....but would gladly take all 3 in the C'ship......I don't think there is a massive, massive difference in quality but still a significant one and otherwise Andrews and Roberts would still be average at best (Yes Jonnolad, Keith Andrews was average at best, just accept it).

what about a cheeky loan bid for john terry or rio ferdinand?

What about you ever offering something significant to a discussion?

With Gabbidon, it said he had largely excelled during his time at West Ham which was 2005-2011. You just highlighted the fact that he got in the Championship Team of the Year at the age of 24 as a reason why he couldn't do it at 32 despite having more experience etc.

With Shittu, it said he was offered a contract after impressive performances in QPR's promotion season a couple of years ago.....I should have added the date on the second point. Although once again if he was good enough to get in the Team of the Year at about 27, I'm sure he could do the same at 31.

With Hall, it was 2 seasons ago yes, but like I had said in my original post Hughes didn't play any of them when he became manager so you can't really have expected them to do anything last season.....yes maybe there was a reason Hughes didn't play them but it is largely irrelevant as that was in the Prem and we are not.

How many times have you seen them? If it was consistently then fair enough but I doubt it would be and if the club that they played for rated them, then I would be more inclined to believe them.

I wouldn't want any of them in the Prem....but would gladly take all 3 in the C'ship......I don't think there is a massive, massive difference in quality but still a significant one and otherwise Andrews and Roberts would still be average at best (Yes Jonnolad, Keith Andrews was average at best, just accept it).

I've seen enough of them over a few seasons. Gabbidon is another sick note, Shittu ok, but too slow to the long ball over his head, and one size is good enough for league one.

To get promoted you have to have a team more or less good enough to play in the premier league. I don't see any of those 3 as being good enough to do that. If you do fair enough, I'll agree to disagree.

I've seen enough of them over a few seasons. Gabbidon is another sick note, Shittu ok, but too slow to the long ball over his head, and one size is good enough for league one.

To get promoted you have to have a team more or less good enough to play in the premier league. I don't see any of those 3 as being good enough to do that. If you do fair enough, I'll agree to disagree.

I have also seen them play and wouldn't mind any of them at CB next to Hanley. If Givet is staying they would be back up anyway. And this is a bosman thread so it's not like I'm recommending them as who we should be getting.

Gabbidon has had injury problems admittedly but not enough to not sign him imo. He was out for ages wasn't he but I think that is behind him now. Wales are hardly the greatest international side but 46 caps is impressive. Shittu and Hall might have faults but they are at least Championship standard and apparently over the course of a season they have been impressive.

By having a team more or less good enough to play in the Prem, surely you must accept then that not all of your players need to be of the highest standard. Particularly at CB as Hanley and Givet are definitely Prem standard.

We should agree to disagree anyway but we're not really going to attract that much of a higher standard of player.

I have also seen them play and wouldn't mind any of them at CB next to Hanley. If Givet is staying they would be back up anyway. And this is a bosman thread so it's not like I'm recommending them as who we should be getting.

Gabbidon has had injury problems admittedly but not enough to not sign him imo. He was out for ages wasn't he but I think that is behind him now. Wales are hardly the greatest international side but 46 caps is impressive. Shittu and Hall might have faults but they are at least Championship standard and apparently over the course of a season they have been impressive.

By having a team more or less good enough to play in the Prem, surely you must accept then that not all of your players need to be of the highest standard. Particularly at CB as Hanley and Givet are definitely Prem standard.

We should agree to disagree anyway but we're not really going to attract that much of a higher standard of player.

You have quite clearly made a statement and are sticking by it regardless of how foolish you sound. I won't argue with fitz hall and gabidon. I don't think they would be great signings but could maybe do a job to some extent. But Danny Shittu. Your saying you've seen this guy play lately? He is huge. In the Benni Mac sense. Qpr fans were baffled when he was given a one year contract in the prem and it was seen to be maybe down to sentimental reasons as he has a lot of history with the club. The mans career is over and your here arguing (which you seem to enjoy doing on every thread an awful lot) he would be able to do a decent job for us. You clearly haven't seen him play lately either unless you've been trotting of to see qpr reserves in your spare time and I'm not even sure he regularly turns out for them. I'm talking about their promotion season as well here. He was not a vital component in their push under warnock. He is now a very poor, overweight player whos time in the limelight is over and has been for some time and anyone who has seen him play would know as much.

Really, when?

I'm going by what my Ipswich supporting mate told me after he was on loan there last season.

You have quite clearly made a statement and are sticking by it regardless of how foolish you sound. I won't argue with fitz hall and gabidon. I don't think they would be great signings but could maybe do a job to some extent. But Danny Shittu. Your saying you've seen this guy play lately? He is huge. In the Benni Mac sense. Qpr fans were baffled when he was given a one year contract in the prem and it was seen to be maybe down to sentimental reasons as he has a lot of history with the club. The mans career is over and your here arguing (which you seem to enjoy doing on every thread an awful lot) he would be able to do a decent job for us. You clearly haven't seen him play lately either unless you've been trotting of to see qpr reserves in your spare time and I'm not even sure he regularly turns out for them. I'm talking about their promotion season as well here. He was not a vital component in their push under warnock. He is now a very poor, overweight player whos time in the limelight is over and has been for some time and anyone who has seen him play would know as much.

"arguing (which you seem to enjoy doing on every thread an awful lot)" haha I was waiting for a comment like that eventually.....actually I think that might be the second one.....I usually only get involved in forums when I disagree with something as otherwise it would already have been said. I usually go along with the general consensus on matters but chip in if I felt otherwise so I'm always waiting for comments about me being argumentative......and I have only really "argued" with about 2 posters on here and they are ones that constantly argue with everyone.....apart from Baz just then of course.....although what some see as an argument, others see as merely a discussion.

In regards to your comments....that's fair enough then I take back my recommendation of Shittu....Fitz Hall was the only one I have seen recently and was going on my perceptions of the other 2 as players a few years ago when I had last saw them, that was a mistake on my part....then when challenged on whether they would be good in the C'ship I did a bit of research and by all accounts they had done previously but I was not aware of the issues you just raised with Shittu so fair enough.....I agree that none of them would be great signings but it is a bosman thread so I had a look at players whose contracts were running out, rather than who I want as CB's.....in fact there would be a number of players ahead of all 3, except maybe Hall actually because a QPR fan I used to work with sometimes, really likes him.

Archived