BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] bit of rail-related nostalgia (cannot find the old thread)

I`ve tried finding an old thread about a possible Ewood Park train station, but degenerated into a general 'trains' thread......Sadly i`ve not found the thread (if any mods can, please ad this to it) ;)

For the more 'mature' Rovers fan amongst us, i`ve found this little gem of a film on youtube......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewYp4uPY_nQ

...where a few 'football special' steam trains are mentioned about 5minutes into the film. A Carlisle to Blackburn FA cup 'special' is mentioned in the film. I`ve looked it up & reckon it must`ve been the 3rd Round clash at Ewood on Jan28th 1967.

Both Rovers & Carlisle were in the old 2nd division. Carlisle won the tie 1-2 in front of 23,312.

I hope it interests somebody out there in tinterweb land ;)

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed that! The last "steam special" I remember travelling on was to Stoke for a 3rd round FA Cup Tie in the early 60's. We won 1-0 via a Duggie pen. I also remember there were no seats left so we spent the whole journey back in the guards van.

Just noticed this thread. Fantastic footage and wonderful nostalgia of the sheer volume and variety of traffic carried on the railways at that time - thank you for finding it. Wish I had had a cine camera back then. Loved see all those footy specials carrying Liverpool fans going through Hoghton. Liverpool to Burnley is about 60 miles at most yet very few supporters went by road and the natural way to make the journey was by steam train. Great days.

I really enjoyed that! The last "steam special" I remember travelling on was to Stoke for a 3rd round FA Cup Tie in the early 60's. We won 1-0 via a Duggie pen. I also remember there were no seats left so we spent the whole journey back in the guards van.
I remember that Stoke game, as you say we won with a penalty when a Stoke player tripped Barrie Ratcliffe. It was quite a controversial one ( nowadays it would be a nailed on plus sending off decision ) and I remember seeing an article on BBC T V on the Monday afterwards concerning a Stoke fan who was planning to sue the referee for spoiling his day ! I don't think he got too far with that one.

Re trains, I've been an engineer all my life but I've never " got " trains. What's all the fuss about steam ? I just don't get it.

• 7 months later...

Great stuff. TS, I guess you never indulged in the time-honoured passion of train-spotting. I remember it all fondly. I was at that Carlisle FA cup game too - the diminutive Willie Carlin scored with a header from .....what seemed like 30 yards at the time!

I remember that game. I'd have gone on the same train I reckon.

I'd "borrowed" the school bell for the game, annoyed the daylights out of a lady standing nearby.

Archived