BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mark Bunn

Kelbo

He's a pretty decent keeper, but you reach a point when you could only have one and it's only right to let him move on and try something new. You can't expect him to rot away and lose any chance he has of having a real career.

Would I rather have him in goal now instead of Kean? Possibly, but I don't think the difference is huge and I don't think anyone thought that Robinson would be persona non grata quite so soon.

I'd be surprised.

I've caught a few of Norwich's matches this season and he's been directly at fault for a number of goals.

He's a good shot-stopper, but his all-round game needs much improvement.

It may come with time and experience, but right now, he's still very much a number 2 for me.

And besides, Ruddy is head and shoulders above Bunn in every aspect of being a goalkeeper.

For Rovers, I'm much happier with Jake than I was/would have been with Bunn.

It certainly used to be.

Indeed. Certainly isn't anymore, though.

You've only got to imagine the following spectacle to reinforce that fact:

Up steps the slight, yet cosmically gifted Andrea Pirlo, taking the long walk from the halfway line, the wind in his hair (I know football stadiums don't generally have a great deal of wind, but I'm constructing a narrative here, stay with me), steely-eyed focus. This penalty kick will send them through to the promised land, the World Cup final. All the pressure's on him now, his country expects.

One man stands in his way. One man to psyche out one of the most talented football players of his generation and that man is... Mark Bunn.

In the words of the local yoots from my time in London; d'ya get me?

I'd be surprised.

I've caught a few of Norwich's matches this season and he's been directly at fault for a number of goals.

He's a good shot-stopper, but his all-round game needs much improvement.

It may come with time and experience, but right now, he's still very much a number 2 for me.

And besides, Ruddy is head and shoulders above Bunn in every aspect of being a goalkeeper.

For Rovers, I'm much happier with Jake than I was/would have been with Bunn.

And Ruddys been on the bench for the last few games!!

Bunn is a good #2 even at Premiership level, and would be very good as a starter at our level as well. At the start of this season I would've liked us to have kept Bunn over Robinson, in large part due to the finances, but now with Jake Kean playing as well as he has it's less of a concern for me. I think Bunn will have a decent career, might even get a starting gig at a PL club for a time, but I don't think letting him go is something we'll really regret. Hopefully we've got a sell on though.

Given is 6' 1" from what I can see.

Robinson 6'4" - Sandomierski 6'5" - Kean 6'4"

Given 6'1" (just) - Bunn 6' (slightly over)

However just to show height isn't everything - Iker Casillas is a little under 6' and Valdes is a little over 6'

In goalkeeping terms, 6'1" is short.

And Gordon Banks was ?

If keepers needed a large physical presence to command their box, catch crosses, dive at forward's feet I could understand size being an issue. Modern day goalkeepers don't do any of these, so why the big deal with size?

Confidence, fitness, reflexes, agility and positional sense are much more important IMO than an extra couple of inches.

And Gordon Banks was ?

If keepers needed a large physical presence to command their box, catch crosses, dive at forward's feet I could understand size being an issue. Modern day goalkeepers don't do any of these, so why the big deal with size?

Confidence, fitness, reflexes, agility and positional sense are much more important IMO than an extra couple of inches.

That's what I keep tellin the missus!

Archived