BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] European Union

I love the European Union, if only because it causes so much anguish to the right wing. The Conservative party has had its collective knickers in a twist over Europe for more than 30 years (ironic since Heath took us into the EEC in the 1970s) and the failure of Cameron to satisfy the anti-EU demands of his most rabid backbenchers has led to the rise of Nigel Farage and Ukip. Polls this week show http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30bc428e-80f0-11e3-95aa-00144feab7de.html that Ukip is now more popular than the Conservatives and effectively mean the right wing vote will be split in the 2015 general election. I love the EU.

The EU is completely over managed, multiple layers of un-necessary bureaucracy costing a fortune and slowing down the decision process to a snails pace.

I love the European Union, if only because it causes so much anguish to the right wing. The Conservative party has had its collective knickers in a twist over Europe for more than 30 years (ironic since Heath took us into the EEC in the 1970s) and the failure of Cameron to satisfy the anti-EU demands of his most rabid backbenchers has led to the rise of Nigel Farage and Ukip. Polls this week show http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/30bc428e-80f0-11e3-95aa-00144feab7de.html that Ukip is now more popular than the Conservatives and effectively mean the right wing vote will be split in the 2015 general election. I love the EU.

I thought you loved England, read the piece above and knock it if you can

May I quote you earlier on the ashes thread ....

Would agree with that. Would also explain their chip on the shoulder. This is a wonderful country and if you open your eyes and look at the opportunities on offer.

and

You're English. Loyalty and you are distant cousins. There's nothing worse in my book. Support Australia Europe at anything you want but never against England. As I say, contemptible.

Funny you dont sound quite so patriotic now in your contempt for the British voting public and your support of foreign nations over them. I must say also that I don't know many 'patriots' who are so critical and disrespectful of Winston Churchills contribution to the safety of the nation and our national identity which you appear to value greatly ..... but only when it suits.e]

• Backroom

You feeling alright Mike ?

Just a slight on the idea that the EU is now another German Empire. I find it an amusing idea but you'd be surprised how many people believe it is absolutely the case.

Guest Norbert

It should be either a United States of Europe, like the USA, or simply an economic bloc of sovereign countries that freely trade amongst each other. The current set up is a massive bureaucratic mess that serves no-one but clapped out politicians who want one last ride on a gravy train.

• Backroom

It should be either a United States of Europe, like the USA, or simply an economic bloc of sovereign countries that freely trade amongst each other. The current set up is a massive bureaucratic mess that serves no-one but clapped out politicians who want one last ride on a gravy train.

In other words, it should be what we originally signed up for.

Dear oh dear. I don't suppose it has occured to you that it is possible to be patriotic and embrace Europe and see that its in our best interests to be an active and full member of the bloc ?

Yet you appear to have a profound dislike bordering on hatred and contempt for the Commonwealth!

...... Is it cos they is black?

Just a slight on the idea that the EU is now another German Empire. I find it an amusing idea but you'd be surprised how many people believe it is absolutely the case.

Cream rises to the top I guess. Personally I'd much rather the boxheads ran Europe than any country with a coastline on the Mediterranean sea.

In other words, it should be what we originally signed up for.

We should have signed up for a common market and union with all countries north of France and west of Poland imo. tbh I rem thinking that way back when we went in and wondering what all the 'Med' countries actually had to bring to the party. After 40 years I believe the answer is wine, cheese and salami.

We originally signed up for a common market and not this controlling mess that it has become. I want it to return to being what we voted for or alternatively out altogether.

Guest Norbert

BUNGA BUNGA BABEH! Eeesa good, no?

At least the Euro Commissioners will be a bit more attractive than Angela Merkel. The Benny Hill theme tune should be the EU anthem in this parallel universe.

We should have signed up for a common market and union with all countries north of France and west of Poland imo. tbh I rem thinking that way back when we went in and wondering what all the 'Med' countries actually had to bring to the party. After 40 years I believe the answer is wine, cheese and salami.

Well give Spain some credit, they brought the party.

Some good points raised about what we originally signed up for and how it has been changed by successive governments, without electoral approval.

A referendum would be very interesting now that Brussels has its finger in everything we do.

• 2 years later...

The polls this week also show if the referendum was held again it would be 62% for leave

Archived