BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Why no Watford thread? Watford v Rovers, 25th March, KO: 7.45

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not hiding Tom Cairney on the wing for one. I agree though, Dunn makes things happen as he's the best at driving forwards with the ball. His injury record throughout his career is a shame, he could have become a real player if not.

In terms of talent I would say he is probably one of the top 25 players or so produced by England in the last ten years. Similar sort of quality to Joe Cole.

If his attitude in his early career and injuries had been better he could have had a similar sort of career to Joe Cole I think, with a fair few England caps and playing for one of the big teams as a fringe player.

I'm pleased we still have him though. Easily the most technically gifted player we have. Good as Tom Cairney is I doubt he will get anywhere near Dunn.

In terms of talent I would say he is probably one of the top 25 players or so produced by England in the last ten years. Similar sort of quality to Joe Cole.

If his attitude in his early career and injuries had been better he could have had a similar sort of career to Joe Cole I think, with a fair few England caps and playing for one of the big teams as a fringe player.

Definitely so.... but like the likes of Gazza, Bestie, Bowles, Collymore etc it's a shame to see what should have been a glorious career ruined by stupid attitude issues. Too late to bother now eh?

Not hiding Tom Cairney on the wing for one. I agree though, Dunn makes things happen as he's the best at driving forwards with the ball. His injury record throughout his career is a shame, he could have become a real player if not.

Understand your point but Cairney has contributed from that position - not sure if he would be as effective in the middle as he doens't have the strength and ultimate skill as Dunn. (just my opinion of course) Then again a young Dunn in todays market would probably be worth 10 - 15 million while Cairney cost us a few hundred thousand...

I'm pleased we still have him though. Easily the most technically gifted player we have. Good as Tom Cairney is I doubt he will get anywhere near Dunn.

This is the reason why Souness lost patience with him all those years ago. If he'd applied himself better when younger I think he could have been better than Cole and possibly Lampard. Shame his talent has been relatively wasted and his lasting contribution to football, other than East Lancashire, will be that step over at Brum where he tripped himself up.

This is the reason why Souness lost patience with him all those years ago. If he'd applied himself better when younger I think he could have been better than Cole and possibly Lampard. Shame his talent has been relatively wasted and his lasting contribution to football, other than East Lancashire, will be that step over at Brum where he tripped himself up.

'You can't put an old head on young shoulders'. It's the age old problem with so many English players. Might be a generalisation but for some reason other Northern European countries appear to be able to instill more self discipline and maturity in their kids than we do.

Odd because the majority of them give them much more leeway earlier on. Perhaps it's to do with their allowing kids to be kids for longer, not starting formal schooling till they are well past 6, negotiating behaviour with them rather than simply imposing rules, but making sure the consequences stick if they break what's been negotiated? I don't know - just throwing ideas out there to do with differences I know about.

'You can't put an old head on young shoulders'. It's the age old problem with so many English players. Might be a generalisation but for some reason other Northern European countries appear to be able to instill more self discipline and maturity in their kids than we do.

It was a shame because out of the three shining young lights out of that team, Jensen [thanks to an ill fated moped ride] and Dunn destroyed their careers. It really was a crying shame not just for them or Rovers but for England as well.

There stories should be told to all young aspiring footballers as a warning.

Odd because the majority of them give them much more leeway earlier on. Perhaps it's to do with their allowing kids to be kids for longer, not starting formal schooling till they are well past 6, negotiating behaviour with them rather than simply imposing rules, but making sure the consequences stick if they break what's been negotiated? I don't know - just throwing ideas out there to do with differences I know about.

Too deep gumboots. It's to do with parenting and teaching within society. We forgive / gloss over too many wrongs.

Archived