BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] We're Back

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

everybodies gonna seem like newbies with best part of 12 months posts gone...

but cheers admins for getting up and going again...

i have missed you all

:tu:

(alhough i have lost my world cup winner badge :( )

You think that's bad, I think I've lost about a thousand posts... comparable to the burning of an ancient library :( devastated.

• Backroom

Where's Abbey?

I'm not sure if he has to 'acknowledge' his last ban, it's just due to a glitch I presume so no big issue if so, I'm guessing he was banned when the backup was taken possibly?

I don't know what the problem is but everytime I visit the forum, I have to sign back in again, on all devices

Me too

Where's Abbey?

ABBEY says he is banned !

I'm not sure if he has to 'acknowledge' his last ban, it's just due to a glitch I presume so no big issue if so, I'm guessing he was banned when the backup was taken possibly?

So "We're back" means everybody except ABBEY !

Given what Ste, myself and Ian all do for a living, it was all rather embarrassing, but as we all have day jobs, BRFCS doesn't always get the attention it should and we cut corners.

We made a mistake the any rookie sysadmin knows is unforgivable, we had a nice automated off site backups and an audit they were happening. But we'd never tested them. Only when we came to restore them did we find an essential database hadn't been included in the backup. An utter rookie mistake on our part.

So, this time, we've actually spent some money and implemented some ideas Ian made a few months ago, which include a second server,

Would you like my nephews telephone number ?

^_^

Odd, he doesn't appear as banned at all in the admin panel.

Will he/they run the site for free? :tu:

He might do, he has his own servers, shall I ask him ?

He is a Rover to boot

Sorted ..I think. I was banned at the time but the warning button wouldnt click,however using an Algerian proxy it worked.No idea ha.

VENKYS OUT EVEN IF WE WIN THE CUP IT CHANGES NOWT

He was at Anfield today. Been on the vodka I believe.

was you with waz & snap?

it was a messy one ha...and no hangover which is a bonus

Software bug, I'd guess. The forum software will have been reverted back to where it was in May '14, so any updates/fixes done after that date will now be gone (hence the return of the 'like' button).

It's a little more complicated than that. We actually have the file system from a few weeks ago, but one of the databases (which amongst other things holds the posts, users and forum config) is from March last years. So some stuff is older than other bits. Hence why it's still split BRFCS/BRFCC but the posts are from long before the split.

everybodies gonna seem like newbies with best part of 12 months posts gone...

but cheers admins for getting up and going again...

i have missed you all

:tu:

(alhough i have lost my world cup winner badge :( )

11 months is but is mere blink of an eye in the lifetime of BRFCS ;)

He might do, he has his own servers, shall I ask him ?

He is a Rover to boot

Experience tells me, if he is has the skills and the desire, he won't have the time. If somebody has all three, they'd be insane to get involved, rather than doing something more productive with their time (and yes, I do consider all the backroom staff as being insane for being involved).

It's a little more complicated than that. We actually have the file system from a few weeks ago, but one of the databases (which amongst other things holds the posts, users and forum config) is from March last years. So some stuff is older than other bits. Hence why it's still split BRFCS/BRFCC but the posts are from long before the split.

11 months is but is mere blink of an eye in the lifetime of BRFCS ;)

Experience tells me, if he is has the skills and the desire, he won't have the time. If somebody has all three, they'd be insane to get involved, rather than doing something more productive with their time (and yes, I do consider all the backroom staff as being insane for being involved).

You could have just said no,

carry on regardless then

You could have just said no,

carry on regardless then

It certainly wasn't a no, we're always glad to consider help from wherever we can take it. It was more a "I bet he won't thank you for that". As a techie (and I'm told the same is true of mechanics) there is nothing worse than somebody volunteering your time/skills for less than the going rate, because "hey, you enjoy that kind of thing" (every £2k a day IT consultant is often still expected to clear half their families of crapware and viruses for free, simply because "you know computers don't you").

If he, or anyone, wants to get involved, feel free to let me know. But quite why anyone would waste their time (and normally get untold agro) for a community they're not part of, if beyond me. But hey, there may be dafter people than me out there :)

It certainly wasn't a no, we're always glad to consider help from wherever we can take it. It was more a "I bet he won't thank you for that". As a techie (and I'm told the same is true of mechanics) there is nothing worse than somebody volunteering your time/skills for less than the going rate, because "hey, you enjoy that kind of thing" (every £2k a day IT consultant is often still expected to clear half their families of crapware and viruses for free, simply because "you know computers don't you").

If he, or anyone, wants to get involved, feel free to let me know. But quite why anyone would waste their time (and normally get untold agro) for a community they're not part of, if beyond me. But hey, there may be dafter people than me out there :)

No wonder you can't get help with that condescending attitude

No wonder you can't get help with that condescending attitude

Not my intention at all, just explaining why I wasn't getting my hopes up. Especially as a short sharp burst of technical ability isn't what we need, we have that in spades (well, at least 4 of us), what we need is people with the skills AND the enthusiasm not to vanish after they realize being involved with the site isn't much fun (we have that happen a lot) AND most importantly the time to dedicate to keep on top of it (which is where we really lack these days). I'm not saying your nephew doesn't fit the bill, only that I'd much rather hear it from him (based on my own experience of people volunteering my time for their causes, not mine)

.... and this is rapidly turning into one of those threads that puts people off BRFCC (and yes, I acknowledge that's my fault) so we're probably better taking this to emails or PMs.

He would probably fix the faults though if I am not mistaken.

How much time would that save ?

Ah! See, that's the problem. To use a car analogy (everything in IT has a car analogy), we don't need to go drop it off at the garage and fix that annoying rattle, it needs somebody to work in the pits, keep an eye on the telemetry and constantly both tune it and perform preventative maintenance. The problem recently is it's had too much of the first and not enough of the second.

Not my intention at all, just explaining why I wasn't getting my hopes up. Especially as a short sharp burst of technical ability isn't what we need, we have that in spades (well, at least 4 of us), what we need is people with the skills AND the enthusiasm not to vanish after they realize being involved with the site isn't much fun (we have that happen a lot) AND most importantly the time to dedicate to keep on top of it (which is where we really lack these days). I'm not saying your nephew doesn't fit the bill, only that I'd much rather hear it from him (based on my own experience of people volunteering my time for their causes, not mine)

.... and this is rapidly turning into one of those threads that puts people off BRFCC (and yes, I acknowledge that's my fault) so we're probably better taking this to emails or PMs.

Ah! See, that's the problem. To use a car analogy (everything in IT has a car analogy), we don't need to go drop it off at the garage and fix that annoying rattle, it needs somebody to work in the pits, keep an eye on the telemetry and constantly both tune it and perform preventative maintenance. The problem recently is it's had too much of the first and not enough of the second.

Car analogy's lol, you mean like using a start button to stop some thing !

Keeping on the subject of cars, sort of, you tech guys remind me of the people who 1st built the M1, then spend the rest of their lives trying to maintain it

;)

Archived