BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player Professionalism

Neal

I know I'm an old guy but I don't get this social media thing. People don't seem to realise you're telling the whole World and it's there permanently.

Getting @#/? as a player isn't good but publicising it is really stupid.

Having said that I remember as a young guy having a couple of pints before a game I wasn't expecting to play in. When I got to the ground I had to play ! I had a blinder believe or not. Next time I was due to play I had two pints as before. I played like a donkey so I never repeated the trick. Strictly a tomato juice before the game after that.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm an old guy but I don't get this social media thing. People don't seem to realise you're telling the whole World and it's there permanently.

Getting @#/? as a player isn't good but publicising it is really stupid.

Having said that I remember as a young guy having a couple of pints before a game I wasn't expecting to play in. When I got to the ground I had to play ! I had a blinder believe or not. Next time I was due to play I had two pints as before. I played like a donkey so I never repeated the trick. Strictly a tomato juice before the game after that.

It never ceased to amaze me how many blokes had a drink before playing a game in my day (including semi professionals). As for social media - it can be a fantastic tool for certain things but as you say, you have to be brain dead to post some of the idiotic things you see on there at times (not confined to footballers either!).

Anyone who lectures or delivers training on social media will tell you that potential employers often check candidates' Facebook and Twitter profiles , which makes the advertising of indiscretions even more bonkers!

It never ceased to amaze me how many blokes had a drink before playing a game in my day (including semi professionals). As for social media - it can be a fantastic tool for certain things but as you say, you have to be brain dead to post some of the idiotic things you see on there at times (not confined to footballers either!).

Anyone who lectures or delivers training on social media will tell you that potential employers often check candidates' Facebook and Twitter profiles , which makes the advertising of indiscretions even more bonkers!

My son found out about that the hard way.

Archived