BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player Professionalism

Neal

Fair point. The effects of drunkenness on top level athletes is important. I'm a level 3 qualified personal fitness consultant and I know precisely how drunkenness will effect his performance. Perhaps it annoys me more because of my knowledge. Professional players like Taylor get paid ridiculous amounts of money and to see them take it for granted really rubs me the wrong way.

I agree mate but sadly it's ingrained into them, probably more so outside Prem level. That's why I said it should be drilled into them from being young. Think it was Ian Wright who was on about Wenger who told him don't drink at all and your niggles will go away because any alcohol aggravates the nerve endings or something. Wright said he never drank more than two pints a time several times per week but he said it made a big difference when he cut it out altogether.

You'll know better than me but after I had knee injuries sorted by a few ops every Monday after a Saturday session I could barely walk but when I didn't drink it was fine. Everyone's different I suppose but yeah no sportsmen should touch it really, even a lot of bloody dart players don't these days in an effort to get the best out of themselves and prolong their careers. :huh:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Banning players from using social media would be a draconian measure. They have every right to use it.

Why should those who use it responsibly be punished for the immature minority that abuse it?

I agree somewhat. I suppose the manager has to make a judgement call on stuff like this, comes down to man management i suppose. I think proffesionals can use it for good and for setting examples to influence younger fans. Irritates that some use it for boasting drunkenness, which is obviously going to make kids think... "ah its ok, i can become a proffesional footballer and get @#/?". Fair enough, lower standard players like Taylor might not have loads of influence but it still doesnt make it right amd its still unproffesional in my view.

I think they should lock their twitter accs if they have them and only let on teammates, other players and friends etc if they want to bo on social media. If they want the fans following them and they post stuff they're up to and engage in rows then they should expect to cop the flak. Brains should tell them that their bosses or someone on their behalf will almost certainly be watching them.

The drinking culture will never be stamped out of the English game, in one way it's good for the spirit and the lads need an outlet but like everything else it gets abused. Ok on a Sat night after a game and maybe the night before their midweek day off but any other time it should be a complete no. It should be drilled into them it's a no and they should be hammered with fines for ignoring it.

It probably won't be stamped out amongst the UK nationals (and Ireland) but its culture ingrained unfortunately.

Obviously being on social media raises profile but when stuff like this happens is it really worth it? This was in response to a tweet earlier this evening in which some clown wished death on a players kids.

https://twitter.com/Leighgriff09/status/696456401841999873

I agree mate but sadly it's ingrained into them, probably more so outside Prem level. That's why I said it should be drilled into them from being young. Think it was Ian Wright who was on about Wenger who told him don't drink at all and your niggles will go away because any alcohol aggravates the nerve endings or something. Wright said he never drank more than two pints a time several times per week but he said it made a big difference when he cut it out altogether.

You'll know better than me but after I had knee injuries sorted by a few ops every Monday after a Saturday session I could barely walk but when I didn't drink it was fine. Everyone's different I suppose but yeah no sportsmen should touch it really, even a lot of bloody dart players don't these days in an effort to get the best out of themselves and prolong their careers. :huh:

Your first sentence really brings this debate into the spotlight... 'Outside of prem level'. Well, thats exactly where we're trying get back to and obviously some players outside of this standard just don't fully appreciate what it takes and if you employ people with this mind set and attitude then you wont progress beyond their standards.

I mean really, does this sound like a sentence that makes sense?... "it's ok to be drunk as a profesional whilst It's mid season, i can still perform to my full potential"... Doesn't to me.

Its certainly a concern if Lambert has forbidden it. Even more of a concern if he hasn't. Think Lambert is certainly more a case of the former even though he's from Glasgow LOL. Drinking culture in English football was changed largely by Arsene Wenger almost 20 years ago. Wenger banned alcohol (certainly during the season) and he's a guy who grew up in a public house. Other clubs saw the benefits and followed in Arsenal's footsteps and really in 2016 that should be the case across the whole Premier/Football League.

I'm surprised at you making comments that racially stereotype people Vinjay! Glasgow is no different to any other City in respect of drinking culture.

Anyway PL may have been born in Glasgow but he was brought up in Paisley, so perhaps you have a point......

I'm surprised at you making comments that racially stereotype people Vinjay! Glasgow is no different to any other City in respect of drinking culture.

Anyway PL may have been born in Glasgow but he was brought up in Paisley, so perhaps you have a point......

I've seen Celtic fans at Ewood and I know one local Celtic fan very well.

With those experiences its hard not to subscribe to stereotypes!

Your first sentence really brings this debate into the spotlight... 'Outside of prem level'. Well, thats exactly where we're trying get back to and obviously some players outside of this standard just don't fully appreciate what it takes and if you employ people with this mind set and attitude then you wont progress beyond their standards.

I mean really, does this sound like a sentence that makes sense?... "it's ok to be drunk as a profesional whilst It's mid season, i can still perform to my full potential"... Doesn't to me.

Trouble is at this level lots of the core of teams are made up of average players in their late 20's who'll go no further. Just a job to them and they've no real belief or desire to go anywhere else so they just plod along, train, go out, play, go out and so on.

These guys are the heartbeat of clubs locker rooms so others get swept along with it although you'd think things are more professional now than 20 years ago. That's why it should be against the rules too touch a drop in season apart from a Sat night when there is no midweek game. Sadly a lot of coaches and managers lives revolve around the social side of it as well so they don't set much example. Everything in this country revolves around drink :o

I've seen Celtic fans at Ewood and I know one local Celtic fan very well.

With those experiences its hard not to subscribe to stereotypes!

So you label a whole city because you saw a few drunk football fans. Have you ever seen scousers or Geordies at Ewood as well?

Using your logic does that make it okay for me to use my experience in the Imperial Marhaba hotel in Tunisia last year to condemn all muslims as terrorists?

Thought not.

So you label a whole city because you saw a few drunk football fans. Have you ever seen scousers or Geordies at Ewood as well?

Using your logic does that make it okay for me to use my experience in the Imperial Marhaba hotel in Tunisia last year to condemn all muslims as terrorists?

Thought not.

Yeah I have and none of them brought full pints of beer on the bus! It wasn't just 1 or 2 either. I did make a joke about Liverpool on here recently but that was more crime related.

I personally don't see any issue with Taylor having a few pints on a Saturday night with the next game a week away. He is a 29 year old lad, what else is he going to do on a Saturday after playing footy? Simon Garner used to have a few pints with the rovers fans after games. I know times have changed but I just cannot see what harm he has done.

I bumped into Craig Conway whilst I was on a stag do in the Costa Del Sol last June. He was having a few jars with his mates. I could have said 'Craig that was a rubbish season how dare you have a drink on your hols.' Or I could have had a beer and a laugh with him. Needless to say I opted for the latter.

Trouble is at this level lots of the core of teams are made up of average players in their late 20's who'll go no further. Just a job to them and they've no real belief or desire to go anywhere else so they just plod along, train, go out, play, go out and so on.

These guys are the heartbeat of clubs locker rooms so others get swept along with it although you'd think things are more professional now than 20 years ago. That's why it should be against the rules too touch a drop in season apart from a Sat night when there is no midweek game. Sadly a lot of coaches and managers lives revolve around the social side of it as well so they don't set much example. Everything in this country revolves around drink :o

Think theres a lot to be said for the ambition of the manager. If you have someone who's ambitious and desperate to prove themselves at a higher level then that will filter down to the players to encourage them to be behave professionally and and perform to a certain standard.

I personally don't see any issue with Taylor having a few pints on a Saturday night with the next game a week away. He is a 29 year old lad, what else is he going to do on a Saturday after playing footy? Simon Garner used to have a few pints with the rovers fans after games. I know times have changed but I just cannot see what harm he has done.

I bumped into Craig Conway whilst I was on a stag do in the Costa Del Sol June. He was having a few jars with his mates. I could have said 'Craig that was a rubbish season how dare you have a drink on your hols.' Or I could have had a beer and a laugh with him. Needless to say I opted for the latter.

Anything for a free haircut eh Brentmiester!

I bumped into Craig Conway whilst I was on a stag do in the Costa Del Sol last June. He was having a few jars with his mates. I could have said 'Craig that was a rubbish season how dare you have a drink on your hols.' Or I could have had a beer and a laugh with him. Needless to say I opted for the latter.

Theres a big difference to having a few and being drunk. Craig was having a few whilst in off season... Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Anything for a free haircut eh Brentmiester!

Ha I mentioned that as it happens! It had just been advertised on the rovers website that he was doing it for charity a few weeks later.

He was a good normal down to earth lad. Initially a bit wary as he was drinking and he realised there was a stag do from blackburn. I guess this mirrors the aforementioned Chris Taylor debate and goes some way to show why they don't interact with fans like they used to. He quickly realised we were alright and 3 of us had a beer with him for 20-30 mins.

Theres a big difference to having a few and being drunk. Craig was having a few whilst in off season... Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I haven't seen the photo. Although a few pints and drunk can be the same thing. If he was on the floor jack grealish style then i would completely agree with you. If he is just sat down with his mates and looks rather merry then I wouldn't.

I haven't seen the photo. Although a few pints and drunk can be the same thing. If he was on the floor jack grealish style then i would completely agree with you. If he is just sat down with his mates and looks rather merry then I wouldn't.

Not so much the photo fella, its just a photo of him and his missus on a night out. The thing that annoyed was the text stating being drunk.

Yeah I have and none of them brought full pints of beer on the bus! It wasn't just 1 or 2 either. I did make a joke about Liverpool on here recently but that was more crime related.

You should probably think about sacking Bernard Manning as your joke writer. There is a strange irony in you using such lazy stereotypes in a thread about the professionalism of players, don't you think?

There's was an ex-rover striker playing on the south coast who was out with an injury he picked up in training. In the instance 'training' was his mates stag do in Prague. He fell off a glass table, smashing the table and his knee ligaments. Can't say who. Can't remember him beatting many players after that. Like I say, can't say who.

There's was an ex-rover striker playing on the south coast who was out with an injury he picked up in training. In the instance 'training' was his mates stag do in Prague. He fell off a glass table, smashing the table and his knee ligaments. Can't say who. Can't remember him beatting many players after that. Like I say, can't say who.

Saw what you did there lol. Jams Beattie it is.

Not so much the photo fella, its just a photo of him and his missus on a night out. The thing that annoyed was the text stating being drunk.

Being pedantic he wasn't even bragging about being drunk. He said his head paid for it in the morning and his missus shouldnt go drink for drink with him. It's not like he was saying he can't remember anything, he spewed his guts up or ended up in a bar-room brawl.

And I don't believe having 6 or 7 pints on a Saturday night will affect his performance in a game 7 days later.

Being pedantic he wasn't even bragging about being drunk. He said his head paid for it in the morning and his missus shouldnt go drink for drink with him. It's not like he was saying he can't remember anything, he spewed his guts up or ended up in a bar-room brawl.

And I don't believe having 6 or 7 pints on a Saturday night will affect his performance in a game 7 days later.

It would if he did it on a regular basis but tbf we would only be speculating that this was what he did, so your first point is still valid.

Archived