BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player Professionalism

Neal

Over the past few years i've found the professionalism in general at Rovers pretty questionable. I go on Instagram to see a post from Chris Taylor boasting about going out getting drunk. Playing or not, have some respect and some professionalism surely?

Anyone else thinking behaviour like this isn't acceptable?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the past few years i've found the professionalism in general at Rovers pretty questionable. I go on Instagram to see a post from Chris Taylor boasting about going out getting drunk whilst we're near the bottom 3. Playing or not, have some respect for the shirt and have some professionalism surely? Of course, I left a comment making my feelings clear.

Anyone else thinking behaviour like this is out of order?

Not really sure why getting drunk would be something to boast about. Hopefully the club monitor player twitter/Instagram accounts and issue appropriate sanctions when warranted.

Then again I don't exactly want players to be total "corporate puppets" either.

Not really sure why getting drunk would be something to boast about. Hopefully the club monitor player twitter/Instagram accounts and issue appropriate sanctions when warranted.

Then again I don't exactly want players to be total "corporate puppets" either.

You want them to show their personality of course but should always have professionalism... This is just a joke. Perhaps he's been told he's not getting another contract? I hope thats the case anyway, league 1 player at best.

Over the past few years i've found the professionalism in general at Rovers pretty questionable. I go on Instagram to see a post from Chris Taylor boasting about going out getting drunk whilst we're near the bottom 3. Playing or not, have some respect for the shirt and have some professionalism surely? Of course, I left a comment making my feelings clear.

Anyone else thinking behaviour like this is out of order?

What did he actually put?

I used to bump in to Sutton, Kenna and others in the 'VIP' lounge up the cav in the 90's.

Kevin Davies infamously was seen in Tokyo Joes before we got relegated in 99.

It's nothing new. Again, social media didn't exist in previous eras so although we knew about it, it wasn't as clearly publicised.

• Moderation Lead

True, but he's uploaded that photo himself. Not like he's been papped or anything. It comes down to results with what the players do. Not bothered about what they do off the pitch as long as it doesn't affect what's happening off it, they're only human. It would leave a sour taste in the mouth if they were out on the sauce after a heavy defeat, but by and large I'm not too concerned.

Its certainly a concern if Lambert has forbidden it. Even more of a concern if he hasn't. Think Lambert is certainly more a case of the former even though he's from Glasgow LOL. Drinking culture in English football was changed largely by Arsene Wenger almost 20 years ago. Wenger banned alcohol (certainly during the season) and he's a guy who grew up in a public house. Other clubs saw the benefits and followed in Arsenal's footsteps and really in 2016 that should be the case across the whole Premier/Football League.

True, but he's uploaded that photo himself. Not like he's been papped or anything. It comes down to results with what the players do. Not bothered about what they do off the pitch as long as it doesn't affect what's happening off it, they're only human. It would leave a sour taste in the mouth if they were out on the sauce after a heavy defeat, but by and large I'm not too concerned.

I think its poor form.

I've just seen the picture. WTF are you on about Neal?

He doesn't look drunk. He's smartly dressed and his out with his mates. So what if he says is head is paying for it today.

I was expecting to see him falling over with his arse out or something.

Nothing to report here. I just think you don't like him in general.

I've just seen the picture. WTF are you on about Neal?

He doesn't look drunk. He's smartly dressed and his out with his mates. So what if he says is head is paying for it today.

I was expecting to see him falling over with his arse out or something.

Nothing to report here. I just think you don't like him in general.

@#/? has dress sense got to do with amything? Going on about being drunk is poor, dont want stick for it then dont post it.

@#/? has dress sense got to do with amything? Going on about being drunk is poor, dont want stick for it then dont post it.

Same applies here. If you don't want stick for making a mountain out of a molehill then don't start @#\? topics.

Same applies here. If you don't want stick for making a mountain out of a molehill then don't start @#\? topics.

Just shows the standard and expectations among some Rovers fans have fallen in my opinion. Each to their own.

I mean I don't want to just dig out Taylor here but his post just raised the question. Berhino at West Brom does himself no favours with the stuff he posts. Someone else was discussing on here about managers having twitter accounts etc... Personally I think footballers and managers should steer clear of social media all together. Course I'm not saying they shouldn't live normal lives but when you're in the public eye you need to be careful, I'm not saying I don't think our players should never have a drink but posting about being drunk I think isn't acceptable in my view.

Let's be honest, if a player wants a drink or any other vice, he's gonna do it. Whether it's out in public or in the privacy of their own home. The Rooney documentary showed a few bars in his house. Don't imagine they're for show. Sterling got snapped on 'hippy crack' at home. I just watched a documentary about Matt Le Tissier and his questionable lifestyle. It's just one of those things. If the team is performing it's accepted. They're only human. In fact it's probably even more enticing for a footballer than your average Joe. While we were all out drinking and pulling whatever was drunk enough to oblige, most of these lads were having to keep their eye on the ball and dedicate those years to the sport.

I understand why it would irk some people. But I'm kind of indifferent to it. The night before a match and seeing our players taking a slash up against a phone box while shovelling down a kebab would annoy me. But otherwise I can't accept a player having a few the night before a day off. Christ, it's OK for the England rugby players.

The players are just in their own little bubble and most have very little in commen with the outside world.

I went to the disabled xmas do a year ago and the players were asked to go round the room and speak with fans. They all just stuck to the middle of the room in a huddle. They weren't being aloof I just think they are so far removed we are almost a different species, they seemed scared at mixing with everyone.

On Taylor, nothing wrong with going out but not sure why he needs to stick it on social media when it's only gonna invite questions.

I believe Taylor is out of contract in 4 months, and wont be getting much game time under PL, so it's pretty much his own career he is affecting at this point.

If he's having a couple of beers after a game day I personally have no problem, if he's getting plastered then it's going to affect him, so I do.

On Taylor, nothing wrong with going out but not sure why he needs to stick it on social media when it's only gonna invite questions.

Precisely, for the record Taylor seems like a decent lad and he's an honest player but just as we're starting to get some standards back under our new manager it just annoys that some still think its amateur hour. Just want our players to behave ambitious and proffesional, especially after the past 5 years and stuff like this just bugs me.

He's a working class lad, from humble beginnings, whos having a night out with friends.

I don't think he's being unprofessional, or disrepecting the shirt.

He's human and hasn't disgraced himself in any way.

Having briefly been in his, and his families company, after we played Everton the other pre season, he was a thoroughly down to earth bloke.

Not a great player, but honest and shows humility.

• Backroom

Marshall last summer was bad for it endless pictures in champagne lounges etc, it can rub the wrong way but it's just the social media age really.

I would ban social media accounts if I was the manager, seeing Petty squabbles play out on Twitter is shocking, remember Raheem Hanley (or was it zac aley) once saying women shouldn't comment on football after one criticised the team performance and recently Shane Duffy has had a couple of rows.

I can remember seeing Dunny come out of San Carlo in Manchester one Friday night... blitzkrieged... and we had a game the next day. Don't think he started though... think he was benched.

Rightly so. Believe he went on a bender with Beattie in Southampton after we played them. One of the reasons Souness flogged him. Dunny when he first came through was one of the most exciting players in the country, stuff like that just reminds you of how he didnt fulfill his full potential.

I think they should lock their twitter accs if they have them and only let on teammates, other players and friends etc if they want to bo on social media. If they want the fans following them and they post stuff they're up to and engage in rows then they should expect to cop the flak. Brains should tell them that their bosses or someone on their behalf will almost certainly be watching them.

The drinking culture will never be stamped out of the English game, in one way it's good for the spirit and the lads need an outlet but like everything else it gets abused. Ok on a Sat night after a game and maybe the night before their midweek day off but any other time it should be a complete no. It should be drilled into them it's a no and they should be hammered with fines for ignoring it.

Marshall last summer was bad for it endless pictures in champagne lounges etc, it can rub the wrong way but it's just the social media age really.

I would ban social media accounts if I was the manager, seeing Petty squabbles play out on Twitter is shocking, remember Raheem Hanley (or was it zac aley) once saying women shouldn't comment on football after one criticised the team performance and recently Shane Duffy has had a couple of rows.

Banning players from using social media would be a draconian measure. They have every right to use it.

Why should those who use it responsibly be punished for the immature minority that abuse it?

I think they should lock their twitter accs if they have them and only let on teammates, other players and friends etc if they want to bo on social media. If they want the fans following them and they post stuff they're up to and engage in rows then they should expect to cop the flak. Brains should tell them that their bosses or someone on their behalf will almost certainly be watching them.

The drinking culture will never be stamped out of the English game, in one way it's good for the spirit and the lads need an outlet but like everything else it gets abused. Ok on a Sat night after a game and maybe the night before their midweek day off but any other time it should be a complete no. It should be drilled into them it's a no and they should be hammered with fines for ignoring it.

Fair point. The effects of drunkenness on top level athletes is important. I'm a level 3 qualified personal fitness consultant and I know precisely how drunkenness will effect his performance. Perhaps it annoys me more because of my knowledge. Professional players like Taylor get paid ridiculous amounts of money and to see them take it for granted really rubs me the wrong way.

Archived