BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Against League 3 & B Teams

As well all know in modern society the cream of money always gets snatched at the top, weather it be how the Tory's treat the working class or even the F.A. It seems... Rovers fans know better than most that the F.A. are a useless, spineless, money driven set of cretins and I think that is putting it mildly.

Whilst doing the #venkysout campaign on twitter I came across the "Against league 3" organisation. The purpose of this orgisation is to stop the planned allowance of premier league B teams competing in the football league. I'm sure I dont have to sell or explain the importance of why that would be harmful to English league football. The organisation are doing a "boycott the EFL trophy" campaign at the moment, seems the F.A. may be trying to use this as a platform to introduce Premier League B teams. In typical F.A. Style they will be trying ways to dress this up as to make lower league football seem more glamorous when in reality they will be exploiting lower league clubs/communities to help put a greater devide between the elite and league football clubs.

The purpose of this topic was just to generate awareness and a discussion amongst our fan base.

http://www.againstleague3.co.uk/bteamboycott-signup/

I personally think the idea of league 3 is a good one, 20 team leagues would be much better in my opinion.

The thought of B teams joining is ridiculous though, there are easily 8 teams in the conference who could join the football league and not look out of place.

Yes for league 3, a huge No for premier league B teams.

• 2 weeks later...

As if its not already bad enough with a dingle in charge and being owned by Venkys... Now Coyle is supporting academy B teams in the EFL trophy. Sorry but i'm firmly against that.

From a selfish point of view this could benefit our youngsters. Depending on how far they progress that is .... I beleive our own under 21s would be tested by the league teams but also we be an unfair challenge for our oposition. I can't really see the benefit for the lower league team but I don't know how seriously some of these teams take it any way.

Could the EFL insist on a couple of over age players to feature to increase interest and gates.(this clearly works better with Utd city etc)

Like I say, this could benefit us massively suppose our under 21s win the trophy ?

I don't think the plan was for championship cat 1 teams to enter, but with the big boys opting out they may have to invite us!

All depends on if we are still a Cat 1 Academy or not.

I'm totally against it as it devalues the competition and who wants to see 2 reserve teams getting a day out at wembley. At the very least they should be forced to play their games at their home stadiums and share recpeipts.

I would reject any invitation on principle. If the 'EFL' were being fair and rewarding U21 teams on last seasons performances with their invitations then Rovers would be team number 17. So as soon as Man City turned down their invitation then Rovers should have been approached and offered a place, which as yet we haven't.

Instead Category 1 Clubs such as Stoke, WBA and West Ham have all been invited despite performing worse than Rovers last season, presumably just because their senior teams are in the Premier League, whilst Newcastle, who have one of the weakest U21 teams of them all, have been invited as one of the initial 16, despite finishing well behind Rovers last season in 22nd place out of 24 clubs.

Why should Newcastle's U21's be given this opportunity ahead of Rovers U21s? They performed significantly worse last season, finished 16 points behind Rovers. Should the young talent at Rovers not be rewarded ahead of Newcastle? They can't even use the excuse that Newcastle are part of the Premier League club. The reason they are invited is because they think the name Newcastle will be an attraction for fans of League Two clubs more than the likes of Rovers, and will therefore lead to bigger gates and more tv interest. Its a money making scheme. Nothing more.

The 'EFL' and Premier League claim the aim of this project is to help develop more home grown young talent and give them an opportunity to compete in a competition, yet a group of honest decent lads at clubs like Rovers and Reading are being denied a chance offered to players at the same standard category 1 academies elsewhere purely because of the name and fortunes of the first team.

The whole point in having Category 1 status is that all the teams with it meet the same strict standards. Just because West Brom's first team are in the Premier League doesn't make their academy better or more worthy of competing in this competition.

I suspect attendances are low in the competition and so our u21 prem matches. So I can't see it being about revenue in any way. Unless teams had to play a couple of senior players.

Not sure how successful the kids will be against long term pros

But home games have to be played at the club's main ground, so they will be looking at it and thinking they can probably get 10,000+ on at St James's Park on a Wednesday night even for their Under 21s. Rovers would probably get a couple of thousand at best. Then there's their friends at Sky Sports, who have the rights to the 'EFL Trophy' so will probably have applied pressure as their audiences will certainly be bigger if a club like Newcastle is in the competition rather than Blackburn or Reading.

If Newcastle drew Doncaster in a game Newcastle would take a few thousand down the A1 and Doncaster could cash in on that, probably selling some more home tickets. There would be more allure to their fans of playing Newcastle than Blackburn.

Its all financially motivated, as presumably offering some money to League Two clubs who face an endless battle to survive on their own revenues will be an attraction and force them into accepting Premier League U21s in.

I currently do not fully understand the new format however I do recall Manchester City playing games in this competition and it was their lowest every attendance , if I remember correctly less than 3000 this was their 1st team. We won't see any large attendences unless it's free entry.

It's the first step to B teams being introduced and for me... I'm totally against the idea. I think the smaller clubs are being duped and being sold something that looks good in the short term but could be awful for them long term... How long before they try to introduce them into league football? Which will undoubtedly hinder smaller clubs progress.

Archived