BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Owners Statement

I expect this season will be the exception rather than the norm, and for our sakes we need to get up this season. If we don't go up this season I expect we'll be playing in League Two in the very near future.

The reason I say that is because I look at what they did after we dropped from the Premier League. That first summer they used our 'advantage' of pulling power and parachute money to spend big with a view to going straight back up. We spent a relative fortune and were among the favourites to go up. However they placed their faith in the wrong people (as usual) and between them Shebby and Kean wasted our best/only chance of a return to the Premier League and set the club in a spiral of debt and further decline.

I believe they are probably trying something similar this summer. The benefit is that it will take a lot less finance to get out of League One and we also have a real manager calling the shots who appears to know what he is doing. However if we don't go up then expect a similar pattern to years past. Best players will be sold, the downgrade will continue. There is likely no plan beyond this season, if we go up we won't have a plan for the Championship, and we won't have a plan for what we do if we stay in League One.

I expect Mowbray has told them that if they try to keep their best players and spend a million this summer that we have a very strong chance of promotion and Venkys see an opportunity to recoup some credibility and claim some glory if we win League One or go up. All for postponing the sales for a year and absorbing some more losses. But if we don't go up I doubt very much they'll have any appetite to resist bids for players or carry on pouring millions in and a further downgrade will ensue.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I expect this season will be the exception rather than the norm, and for our sakes we need to get up this season. If we don't go up this season I expect we'll be playing in League Two in the very near future.

The reason I say that is because I look at what they did after we dropped from the Premier League. That first summer they used our 'advantage' of pulling power and parachute money to spend big with a view to going straight back up. We spent a relative fortune and were among the favourites to go up. However they placed their faith in the wrong people (as usual) and between them Shebby and Kean wasted our best/only chance of a return to the Premier League and set the club in a spiral of debt and further decline.

I believe they are probably trying something similar this summer. The benefit is that it will take a lot less finance to get out of League One and we also have a real manager calling the shots who appears to know what he is doing. However if we don't go up then expect a similar pattern to years past. Best players will be sold, the downgrade will continue. There is likely no plan beyond this season, if we go up we won't have a plan for the Championship, and we won't have a plan for what we do if we stay in League One.

I expect Mowbray has told them that if they try to keep their best players and spend a million this summer that we have a very strong chance of promotion and Venkys see an opportunity to recoup some credibility and claim some glory if we win League One or go up. All for postponing the sales for a year and absorbing some more losses. But if we don't go up I doubt very much they'll have any appetite to resist bids for players or carry on pouring millions in and a further downgrade will ensue.

If we win the league I can just imagine the rush to produce an "owners statement". Makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it. On top of that, do you think they'd make an appearance should we lift a trophy? It will be interesting to see if Jack's Box has a light on that game.

We have to get up first time this season otherwise you are quite right in saying we can expect huge cuts. A return to 0 spending, more 'cost-cutting', more 'living within our means' and eventual relegation.

On 01/08/2017 at 19:43, Athlete said:

Not concocted anything.. It grates me when people lose their jobs having been in a similar situation myself especially when it was avoidable and the 800k auditing costs makes it more frustrating 

Also the wording Voluntary doesn't actually mean it is voluntary more likely a best case scenario or they'll make it compulsory 

It's ironic that £800k wasn't spent 7 years ago on KPMG. Surely they would have advised  on taking a different course than the one we have ultimately gone down? 

For whatever reason, the club has been (and is being) systematically dismantled from the legacy left by Jack. It's a disgrace.

I'd like to be optimistic about this season but Dack aside at this level, I don't consider we've signed anyone to be excited about. I think Lenihan, Mulgrew and Graham will be on their bikes at some point and then we will be in the proverbial.

I like Mowbray, he talks well and seems a nice guy but I can't find success anywhere on his managerial cv. The recently signed goalkeeper frightens me to death.

I hope I'm wrong but even at this level, I'm not full of confidence like some.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

If we win the league I can just imagine the rush to produce an "owners statement". Makes me feel nauseous just thinking about it. On top of that, do you think they'd make an appearance should we lift a trophy? It will be interesting to see if Jack's Box has a light on that game.

We have to get up first time this season otherwise you are quite right in saying we can expect huge cuts. A return to 0 spending, more 'cost-cutting', more 'living within our means' and eventual relegation.

We would do well to look at Coventry City's fall into the 4th tier and try to learn lessons from it. Having a proud history, big stadium and being a 'big' club for this level gets you nowhere when owned by people who are only interested in cutting costs and have no footballing ambition. I think they are the most similar to us in terms of what they were and what they have ended up as - detached owners with no interest in football, inadequate boardroom, cost cutting, disgruntled and disillusioned fans. Things can and probably will get worse if we don't learn lessons.

8 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

It's ironic that £800k wasn't spent 7 years ago on KPMG. Surely they would have advised  on taking a different course than the one we have ultimately gone down? 

For whatever reason, the club has been (and is being) systematically dismantled from the legacy left by Jack. It's a disgrace.

I'd like to be optimistic about this season but Dack aside at this level, I don't consider we've signed anyone to be excited about. I think Lenihan, Mulgrew and Graham will be on their bikes at some point and then we will be in the proverbial.

I like Mowbray, he talks well and seems a nice guy but I can't find success anywhere on his managerial cv. The recently signed goalkeeper frightens me to death.

Mowbray won the league with WBA and gained promotion to the Premiership, albeit getting relegated after. At every club the fans have taken to him - I'd consider that a success in itself. However, other than WBA, he's done little since. Poor runs at Celtic, Boro & Coventry have shown that.
It seems to me like TM has the ability to inspire fantastic runs but when the chips are down he struggles to revitalise. Most of his sackings come after a string of losses.

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We would do well to look at Coventry City's fall into the 4th tier and try to learn lessons from it. Having a proud history, big stadium and being a 'big' club for this level gets you nowhere when owned by people who are only interested in cutting costs and have no footballing ambition. I think they are the most similar to us in terms of what they were and what they have ended up as - detached owners with no interest in football, inadequate boardroom, cost cutting, disgruntled and disillusioned fans. Things can and probably will get worse if we don't learn lessons.

Of course. The only difference between us & Coventry is the assets we own - if the Venkys ever manage to sell them off then we are no different to them. It will take Coventry generations to recover from SISU ownership and we are on the cusp of joining them.

49 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Miss out this season and we are in for a long stretch in this div.

• Moderation Lead

Just removed a few posts that had descended into bickering. Let's leave it out eh, lads/lasses?

Please don't reply to/quote this post, that's the end of the matter.

• K-Hod locked this topic

Archived