BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Individual performances

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Batman. said:

Well, it doesn't take a genius to decipher that he's talking out of his arse, does it?

In fairness, Robertson was regarded as the best winger in Europe for around 5 years. This in an era where pints, chips, and light jogging was a European Cup winning regime. Twice.

I suspect he means that Robertson being placed in Giggs' situation at Utd in the 90's would've been a better player.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

Strange one, not wanting to move to a club that had just finished second in the league, second only to Arsenal's invincibles, with a huge cash injection that aspired to be (and eventually became) one of the top clubs in the world. I don't buy it personally.

You don't have to. He was a home bird, and had been at Rovers since he was about 12. He was still paying his wages into his mum's account until he left Rovers.

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

He won 2. I believe Giggs won 13, and was an integral part of all of them. Duff was deemed surplus to requirements in a team trying to step up to that of one capable of winning Europe's top prize.

Giggs won that twice, by the way, and was still performing incredibly well at that level whilst a younger Damien Duff was clogging around at Fulham.

Woah Mr Wayne, we get it, you looove giggs. I was replying to JayPeeBee40s post saying that we wouldn't know how duff would have gotten on playing  with players as good as giggs. I said we did get to see it, at Chelsea. No need for the sermon on your favourite player :)

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Woah Mr Wayne, we get it, you looove giggs. I was replying to JayPeeBee40s post saying that we wouldn't know how duff would have gotten on playing  with players as good as giggs. I said we did get to see it, at Chelsea. No need for the sermon on your favourite player :)

My favourite player is Tore Pedersen mate.

7 minutes ago, Mike E said:

In fairness, Robertson was regarded as the best winger in Europe for around 5 years. This in an era where pints, chips, and light jogging was a European Cup winning regime. Twice.

I suspect he means that Robertson being placed in Giggs' situation at Utd in the 90's would've been a better player.

I stand by my original comment.

3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

You don't have to. He was a home bird, and had been at Rovers since he was about 12. He was still paying his wages into his mum's account until he left Rovers.

He got his wages paid into his mothers account his entire career, she then gave him money out of that. He just wanted to play football. 

What do you mean by home bird? You do realise he is from Dublin, not Blackburn? 

• Backroom
Just now, Batman. said:

I stand by my original comment.

Tbf, I'm more likely to believe a man who saw them both in their primes than pixels on a screen :P

I would say on their best days the two players were both top notch and hard to separate. Although Duffs performances for Ireland, with average players were a lot better then giggs ever pulled off with Wales and similar players. 

Giggs did have an amazing club career though. Duffs biggest mistake in his own words was picking Newcastle instead of Liverpool after Chelsea 

He got his wages paid into his mothers account his entire career, she then gave him money out of that. He just wanted to play football. 

What do you mean by home bird? You do realise he is from Dublin, not Blackburn? 

Yes.

Hence me saying "he had been at Rovers since he was 12." 

Blackburn, and the north west, was "home."

• Backroom

I would say on their best days the two players were both top notch and hard to separate. Although Duffs performances for Ireland, with average players were a lot better then giggs ever pulled off with Wales and similar players. 

Giggs did have an amazing club career though. 

I know you're making 'the Friedel argument', re: quality of teammate, but Giggs was definitely WAY above Duff.

Just now, Mike E said:

I know you're making 'the Friedel argument', re: quality of teammate, but Giggs was definitely WAY above Duff.

I'm stating a fact. Duff had a better international career,Giggs an amazing club career. 

On their day one could be better than the other, but consistency wise you would have to say Giggs. He was very lucky with injuries, but he apprently did look after himself very well. As I mentioned above Duff made a mistake going to Newcastle instead of inter Milan or Liverpool. It did not work out for him there at an important time in his career. Although even though na na na batman said he was "clogging around Fulham" he had some solid seasons and got to a uefa Cup final playing a different style of football 

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Clough not good enough?

When did Clough say Robertson was beter than Giggs?

Also, let's imagine he did (which he didn't), who was the better judge of player/ better manager?

Also, frankly, if your father's judgement is anything like that of which you've inherited, I'm not particularly interested regardless.

The Robertson/ Giggs argument is just as ridiculous as the Duff/ Giggs one.

Just now, Mike E said:

Christ, who whizzed on your chips this morning? No need to get personal.

Personal?

Everybody who has an opinion in here stands to have it praised/ critisised, myself included. If you don't want your father's opinion criticised, don't mention it.

• Backroom
Just now, Batman. said:

Personal?

Everybody who has an opinion in here stands to have it praised/ critisised, myself included. If you don't want your father's opinion criticised, don't mention it.

'If his judgement is anything like that you've inherited' is the bit that stuck in the craw a bit. I don't mind criticism of either of our opinions, but it could've been said in a way that doesn't appear to criticise our relationship at the same time.

Anyway, it's early morning, I've probably just climbed out the wrong side of bed.

29 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Happy to agree to disagree. 

• Moderation Lead
18 minutes ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

Ah, now I understand many on here. Your sky TV brainwashed closeted man u fans. Behave pal? You behave..

Closeted Man U fan from the Sky TV generation because I disagree with your opinion? Sounds about right. The best thing about your comment though is Giggs broke into the first team there BEFORE Sky TV, whereas Duff was after. Delicious.

If only I was a lifelong Rovers fan with a season ticket for years who's spent ££££s on tickets and merchandise over the years and only been to Old Trafford as an away fan a couple of times......

People have different opinions to you, it's called life. Though, it's an interesting point to make and I'm always keen for people to express opposing opinions. Look at the amount of medals and trophies Giggs has won and it's always going to be a minority opinion that you hold.

Duff is one of the best players I've seen in my lifetime (33 years so far) of watching Rovers, but Giggs is probably one of the best players I've seen (when in his pomp). He carried on until he was in his early 40s. He's the most decorated player in his club's history. I'm sure it's all a co-incidence though.....

On his day a better winger? When both were at their best, I'd still say Giggs was better.

6 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Closeted Man U fan because I disagree with your opinion? Sounds about right. If only I was a lifelong Rovers fan with a season ticket for years who's spent ££££s on tickets and merchandise and only been to Old Trafford as an away fan.......

People have different opinions to you, it's called life. Though, it's an interesting point to make and I'm always keen for people to express opposing opinions. Look at the amount of medals and trophies Giggs has won and it's always going to be a minority opinion that you hold.

Duff is one of the best players I've seen in my lifetime (33 years so far) of watching Rovers, but Giggs is probably one of the best players I've seen (when in his pomp). He carried on until he was in his early 40s. He's the most decorated player in his club's history. I'm sure it's all a co-incidence though.....

And if both players were on their game on any one particular day, IMO duff(at his best when at rovers), was the better left winger. The fact that duff made crap career choices/suffered injuries later on that wrecked his game is neither here nor there.

• Moderation Lead

Still Giggs for me. Not a closeted fan of anyone, I can just see beyond club bias to see that Ryan Giggs had more talent than Damien Duff. (Though Duff was a super player while with us and one of my favourites as a fellow left-footer), I can't agree that he was better than Giggs at his best.

• K-Hod locked this topic

Archived