BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Individual performances

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

After Matt Jansen's injury he played away at Aston Villa in the cup. He scored 2 and Dwight Yorke got 2. In that moment I had hope he'd come back as good as he was - sadly it never quite came to fruition for him.

Unplayable on his day. Sven should have took him to that tournament. 

He actually had a cracker in his first game back against Wolves, but that was the same day Bret Emerton looked like Luis Figo. Not sure what was on the menu that day, perhaps a hopeless opposition?

What about Mark Hughes in the League Cup final? One of the finest central midfield displays I've ever seen by a man two or three years older than my great grandad at the time.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom
1 minute ago, Batman. said:

He actually had a cracker in his first game back against Wolves, but that was the same day Bret Emerton looked like Luis Figo. Not sure what was on the menu that day, perhaps a hopeless opposition?

What about Mark Hughes in the League Cup final? One of the finest central midfield displays I've ever seen by a man two or three years older than my great grandad at the time.

Added to that, he wasn't even a midfielder! Shows what a fine player he really must've been in his pomp!

1 minute ago, Batman. said:

I think Souness deserves praise for his tactics by playing Hughes in midfield that day. I remember well two crunching tackles Hughes made on pretty boy Redknapp who didn't want to know after that.

3 hours ago, Batman. said:

Hughes was 36-37 at the time IIRC. So your great grandad was about 34, your grandad 18, and your dad 2 ?

13 hours ago, Batman. said:

I remember a Sutton hat-trick against Leicester at home in the snow when he was unplayable.

He scored a great chip over the keeper from the edge of the 18 yard box that game, think it was his hat-trick goal. Wonderful stuff.

5 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

1355331549061.jpg

Must be the way you tell them Jim.

4 hours ago, frosty said:

He scored a great chip over the keeper from the edge of the 18 yard box that game, think it was his hat-trick goal. Wonderful stuff.

It certainly was. The white ball was then replaced with an orange ball and Leicester scored three. It finished 5-3. I recall the Blackburn End signing "we want the white ball back." The white ball was reintroduced as the snow melted and Leicester scored no more. The Leicester fans then broke into "we want the orange ball back."

Lovely stuff.

On 30/06/2017 at 07:00, Batman. said:

Who can forget the Grabbi home debut against United. Defied gravity and conventional logic with some of those misses... 

Cheated out of a legitimate goal by the cheating Bartez iirc.

1 hour ago, Stuart said:

Cheated out of a legitimate goal by the cheating Bartez iirc.

I remember the incident but I'm sure Corrado knocked it wide regardless. Might be that my memory is even more unkind to him than it should be...

2 hours ago, Batman. said:

I remember the incident but I'm sure Corrado knocked it wide regardless. Might be that my memory is even more unkind to him than it should be...

No, as I recall he scored when he took the ball off Bartez. He missed an absolute sitter earlier on though. If he'd  have closed his eyes and just let the ball hit his leg it would have been a goal. As it was he put it over the bar from about 3 yards out.

I charitably thought that must be his weak side, but it wasn't.

32 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

No, as I recall he scored when he took the ball off Bartez. He missed an absolute sitter earlier on though. If he'd  have closed his eyes and just let the ball hit his leg it would have been a goal. As it was he put it over the bar from about 3 yards out.

I charitably thought that must be his weak side, but it wasn't.

I don't recall that that he had a strong side?

I knew he was doomed to failure when we played Bolton at home early on in the season, he dribbled past three of four players from the edge of the box, curled a pearler towards the top corner and it came back out off the bar. 

A few around here suggested Souey might have made a few bob from that transfer.

Another horrific debut I remember was Alan Fettis. Think he'd picked the ball out of his net four times vs the first great Arsenal team before he'd even taken a goal kick.

Funny how this thread has gone 360..

• Moderation Lead

Alan Fettis was largely terrible for us as I recall. But without him, The username 'Alan Fetish' never would have happened on a forum...

Shearer against Norwich in the 7 -1 win.

Garner scoring 5 against Notts County I think. I still recall a photo in the LT of a 5 of clubs playing card in the back of the Blackburn End net.

There have been many an outstanding performance over the years but the one that sticks out for me above all others was Tim Flowers against Newcastle on VE Day. 

CHAMPIONS !

15 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Garner scoring 5 against Notts County I think. I still recall a photo in the LT of a 5 of clubs playing card in the back of the Blackburn End net.

It was against Derby darren.

Great memories. I'll go with Batty's debut against Spurs at Ewood. He totally bossed the game, dominated midfield. It was a cut above and a performance above anything I'd seen before from a Rovers midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Batman. said:

I don't recall that that he had a strong side?

I knew he was doomed to failure when we played Bolton at home early on in the season, he dribbled past three of four players from the edge of the box, curled a pearler towards the top corner and it came back out off the bar. 

A few around here suggested Souey might have made a few bob from that transfer.

Another horrific debut I remember was Alan Fettis. Think he'd picked the ball out of his net four times vs the first great Arsenal team before he'd even taken a goal kick.

Funny how this thread has gone 360..

I remember Grabbi scoring a goal against Everton. He picked the ball up about 25 yards out in the old inside left position, jinked inside a couple of defenders and buried a shot into the far corner. Easy peasy, he made it look like he could do it any time he felt like it.

3 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Alan Fettis was largely terrible for us as I recall. But without him, The username 'Alan Fetish' never would have happened on a forum...

Certainly worth the metaphorical spankings on the pitch.

What about the Lars Bohinen masterclass in the 7-0 against Forest during our somewhat limp defence of the title? We were incredible at home that season, and seem to remember Shearer scoring five hat-tricks? 15 goals in 5 games is daft. I think he was actually better that season than during the title winning one. I remember his last game for us at home to Wimbledon in a 3-2 win during late March. He got subbed early (thus preventing hat-trick number six) so he could have a hernia op and be fit for the euros.

Almost wish Vinny Jones had decked him so we could have kept him. We'll never have a striker as good as that ever again..

7 hours ago, Batman. said:

Certainly worth the metaphorical spankings on the pitch.

What about the Lars Bohinen masterclass in the 7-0 against Forest during our somewhat limp defence of the title? We were incredible at home that season, and seem to remember Shearer scoring five hat-tricks? 15 goals in 5 games is daft. I think he was actually better that season than during the title winning one. I remember his last game for us at home to Wimbledon in a 3-2 win during late March. He got subbed early (thus preventing hat-trick number six) so he could have a hernia op and be fit for the euros.

Almost wish Vinny Jones had decked him so we could have kept him. We'll never have a striker as good as that ever again..

Bohinen was outstanding in that game. He reminded me of Bryan Douglas at his best. Why he couldn't maintain his early form is a mystery.

Brilliant thread taking me back to happier times. Thanks guys.

FWIW the Bellamy vs Boro game is what first comes to mind - I think he and the team were so annoyed at the ludicrous red card Savage got that it spurred them all on, especially Bellamy.

Funny too how people remember things differently. The league cup final I remember thinking Friedel was the outstanding guy, saving tine after time I was certain Spurs would've scored. My memories of the 5-3 are more of bewilderment of how we let them back into it and how bad Fettis was.

Best overall performance Imo was vs Chelsea the year after we won the league. We won 3-0 but it was total domination.

On 2 July 2017 at 01:23, sambo said:

For all those talking about Emerton's performance v Wolves:

Sad to see Matty struggling to regain his touch there. He was off the pace most of the game. Superb pass from Tugay to Andy Cole for the last goal, it had back spin on it so it sat up perfectly for the volley.

Looking at the back four you can see why we struggled against the better teams later in the season. Tiny Taylor never made the step up his ability led me to think he would. Amoruso's lack of pace was evident even in that game.  Gresko was no great shakes either.

If I remember correctly we had sold Duff and Dunn and effectively replaced them with Emerton and Ferguson. Certainly was a step down in both cases (I thought Dunn was going well pre Birmingham, but fell out with Souness IIRC).

What about the Spurs away on the last day of the previous season (Duff and Dunn's last game). 4-0 win with Duff unplayable, and I think I remember Hignett scoring (his last game as well?). He was an underrated player for us.

Archived