BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Individual performances

1 hour ago, Batman. said:

And he didn't want to leave. Came back to Rovers and said if we match the £60,000 a week Chelsea offered, he would stay.

Souey wanted the money so he could strengthen the team as a whole. A Barry Ferguson and a Stephen Reid later we were fighting for our lives.

In fairness, Stephen Reid could have been great if it wasn't for the injuries. Possibly same could be said of Ferguson. 

We were lucky in a way that MGP came around. Good Left wingers are hard to come by. I remember at one stage Ireland had Duff, Wales had Giggs and England were playing at different stages, playing Scholes left, Gerrard left and considering Froggett or Alan Thompson there. 

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

On his day better than giggs.

Giggs is arguably the best player of all time at the world's biggest club, and England's most successful club.

As much as a love DD, let's not overstate things.

47 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

In fairness, Stephen Reid could have been great if it wasn't for the injuries. Possibly same could be said of Ferguson. 

Ferguson potentially, but not Reid.

We sold a guaranteed 12 points a season in exchange for a potential 13. Never sell world class players if you want to progress, especially when you're Blackburn Rovers and they want to stay.

1 minute ago, Batman. said:

Giggs is arguably the best player of all time at the world's biggest club, and England's most successful club.

He meant Rhodri.

7 minutes ago, Batman. said:

Of course. That why united fans wanted him dropped in the mid 2000s due to poor form. Giggs was very lucky in terms of the quality he played alongside his entire career at man u. We'll never know how duff would have fared with such luxuries.

• Backroom

Most on.here know I take my dad's word as Gospel on football before I was born. I had the discussion with him some time ago and he reckons John Robertson of Nottingham Forest would've made Giggs look like ten-a-penny winger in the same Utd side.

Ronaldo showed up Giggs his entire time at United. Faster, stronger, better technically, more skillful and a much better end product. Ronaldo was the level of winger Giggs could only dream of being. Miles behind him, so no chance the best player of all time.

1 hour ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

Of course. That why united fans wanted him dropped in the mid 2000s due to poor form. Giggs was very lucky in terms of the quality he played alongside his entire career at man u. We'll never know how duff would have fared with such luxuries.

Well we do know, he won a few league titles playing with Chelsea 

8 hours ago, JayPeeBee40 said:

I've tried my best with you, but seriously?

How old are you? Giggs was in United's first team from 1992 onwards, but "United fans wanted him dropped in the mid 2000's due to poor form." 

This isn't even a discussion to be honest. If you think Duff was a better player than Giggs, frankly you're a horrific judge of player. Or, just a Man Utd hating teenager. 

"Giggs was very lucky in terms of the quality he played with bla bla bla...."

He was the quality. From a frighteningly fast winger who could dribble past an entire team and score to a metronomic pace dictating central midfielder, he is one of the all time PL greats, and one of the all time United greats.

But, United fans wanted him dropped sometime in the mid 2000s....

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Well we do know, he won a few league titles playing with Chelsea 

He won 2. I believe Giggs won 13, and was an integral part of all of them. Duff was deemed surplus to requirements in a team trying to step up to that of one capable of winning Europe's top prize.

Giggs won that twice, by the way, and was still performing incredibly well at that level whilst a younger Damien Duff was clogging around at Fulham.

7 hours ago, Mike E said:

Most on.here know I take my dad's word as Gospel on football before I was born. I had the discussion with him some time ago and he reckons John Robertson of Nottingham Forest would've made Giggs look like ten-a-penny winger in the same Utd side.

Well, it doesn't take a genius to decipher that he's talking out of his arse, does it?

41 minutes ago, Batman. said:

I've tried my best with you, but seriously?

How old are you? Giggs was in United's first team from 1992 onwards, but "United fans wanted him dropped in the mid 2000's due to poor form." 

This isn't even a discussion to be honest. If you think Duff was a better player than Giggs, frankly you're a horrific judge of player. Or, just a Man Utd hating teenager. 

"Giggs was very lucky in terms of the quality he played with bla bla bla...."

He was the quality. From a frighteningly fast winger who could dribble past an entire team and score to a metronomic pace dictating central midfielder, he is one of the all time PL greats, and one of the all time United greats.

But, United fans wanted him dropped sometime in the mid 2000s....

Duff wasn't at Gigg standards but that's a bit of a stretch.

21 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Duff wasn't at Gigg standards but that's a bit of a stretch.

Really? I disagree, the last couple of years he was just jogging around knocking Tugay esque nine irons all around the park. Don't think he even bothered putting his shorts on half the time.

Just now, Batman. said:

Really? I disagree, the last couple of years he was just jogging around knocking Tugay esque nine irons all around the park. Don't think he even bothered putting his shorts on half the time.

He certainly didn't when he went to his brothers gaff.

Great player, just no Makele,or Tugay when it came to playing CM.

12 hours ago, Batman. said:

And he didn't want to leave. Came back to Rovers and said if we match the £60,000 a week Chelsea offered, he would stay.

Souey wanted the money so he could strengthen the team as a whole. A Barry Ferguson and a Stephen Reid later we were fighting for our lives.

I'm not so sure about that. I read an interview with him recently where he stated he wanted to leave, even a year earlier than he did, when the World Cup finished, about a move to Man Utd. He actually wanted to move to Liverpool a season or two before then too.

So we were pretty lucky to have him as long as we did it would seem.

6 minutes ago, donnermeat said:

I'm not so sure about that. I read an interview with him recently where he stated he wanted to leave, even a year earlier than he did, when the World Cup finished, about a move to Man Utd. He actually wanted to move to Liverpool a season or two before then too.

So we were pretty lucky to have him as long as we did it would seem.

He didn't want to leave for Chelsea. My story is true.

3 minutes ago, Batman. said:

He didn't want to leave for Chelsea. My story is true.

Considering he'd angled for a number of moves in the years before he left, I'd say that's a rather strange assumption to make. I'd be happy to see a source and be proved wrong, mind.

1 minute ago, donnermeat said:

Considering he'd angled for a number of moves in the years before he left, I'd say that's a rather strange assumption to make. I'd be happy to see a source and be proved wrong, mind.

Whether or not the sentiment would have stretched to the two clubs you mentioned I honestly cannot comment one way or another.

He 100% wasn't wanting to move to London though.

Just now, Batman. said:

Whether or not the sentiment would have stretched to the two clubs you mentioned I honestly cannot comment one way or another.

He 100% wasn't wanting to move to London though.

Strange one, not wanting to move to a club that had just finished second in the league, second only to Arsenal's invincibles, with a huge cash injection that aspired to be (and eventually became) one of the top clubs in the world. I don't buy it personally.

Archived