BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The last census shows that the town of Blackburn (not the wider BwD borough) is now around 50% south Asian. So the club has to engage.

We are facing two existential issues, the support base within the town itself is reducing due to large demographic change, with the match going fanbase as a result stretching further and further across other boroughs.

The club has realised the town of Blackburn issue, and Yasir and team are doing sterling work to address it. However on the wider fanbase issue the club seems to have its head in the sand as to where a growing percentage of match goers now reside (though a quick scan on a ST holder spreadsheet would tell you that).

We need to see engagement across the Ribble Valley, South Ribble, Hyndburn and beyond, not just a token gesture in a few primary schools within the arbitrary drawn BwD borders.

As an aside, does the club have a target? I.e ‘10% of ST holders to be from an Asian background by 2030’ etc? Because noble as Yasir’s work and being a ‘community champion’ is, the overall aim has to bums on seats and to ensure a future for the town’s grand old football club.

• Like 4

Thinking a bit more about this. As a season ticket holder and 1875 member, I should have indisputable priority on away tickets. This scheme appears to circumvent that, as there no reference, and given the target audience I suspect no expectation, that anyone buying will be existing ST or 1875 members.

So problem number 1 is why random people, who have made no commitment to Rovers previously, are able to jump to the front of the queue. It seems they will have priority for this over say London branch people who don't have STs or for whatever reason didn't buy 1875 membership. That simply cannot be right. 

Now of course it is one coach, so a relatively small number, and I don't expect we will sell out (albeit the club should be looking at this as a play off 6 pointer and expecting a big following as we usually get in London fixtures, and the tickets are well priced).

You seemingly have the possibility here that 50+ non ST holders / non 1875 members can buy their tickets now to the exclusion of ST holders if we reach full allocation,

Problem number 2 is the price. If I wanted conventional official away travel and a ticket it would set me back £57. This scheme costs £55, and includes a detour, more mileage, longer travelling and food. So I think I would be asking why it is cheaper to get more. Are the official away travel people being over charged? Or is this scheme being subsidised? If so by whom? Everyone else? The Club? Or external organisations?

I think as someone shovelling thousands of pounds a year into the Club and match tickets this information should be made public. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

The last census shows that the town of Blackburn (not the wider BwD borough) is now around 50% south Asian. So the club has to engage.

We are facing two existential issues, the support base within the town itself is reducing due to large demographic change, with the match going fanbase as a result stretching further and further across other boroughs.

The club has realised the town of Blackburn issue, and Yasir and team are doing sterling work to address it. However on the wider fanbase issue the club seems to have its head in the sand as to where a growing percentage of match goers now reside (though a quick scan on a ST holder spreadsheet would tell you that).

We need to see engagement across the Ribble Valley, South Ribble, Hyndburn and beyond, not just a token gesture in a few primary schools within the arbitrary drawn BwD borders.

As an aside, does the club have a target? I.e ‘10% of ST holders to be from an Asian background by 2030’ etc? Because noble as Yasir’s work and being a ‘community champion’ is, the overall aim has to bums on seats and to ensure a future for the town’s grand old football club.

In my job, and I'm sure many others on here as well, I have to set "SMART" targets, if this is the case here, surely there should be a series of initiatives aimed at other demographics?