BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season tickets 2023-24 - what could/should be offered ?

5 hours ago, M_B said:

The ones who used to go when the going was good and now choose not to. If we're discounting that argument, then the season ticket sales are fantastic, well up on the pre 90's.

Once again,if people can't afford to go, I really feel for them, but there's another group who have clearly stopped going regularly,for whatever reason. As I said the other day, anyone under 40, a whole generation, can only really remember the good times. This isn't what a lot of them bought into.

I'm 35, recently moved back to the area, I've had season tickets in the past, and I can afford the £400+... But there's no chance I'll pay it when the match day experience is crap. The ground is 2/3 empty and I still can't get a pint (of crap beer) at half time.

Premium price for a half arsed product. I'm not having the piss taken out of me, so I won't pay it.

A VPN and a RoversTV subscription is far better value. Or just watch the games on Sky since half are on there anyway. Shit as it is, the atmosphere in my living room is just as good and the beer is better.

Twice the number of people in, and I'd buy one. Decent beers on tap and the ability to actually buy it, I'd get one. £250, maybe I'd get one.

18 minutes ago, XLM said:

A VPN and a RoversTV subscription is far better value. Or just watch the games on Sky since half are on there anyway. Shit as it is, the atmosphere in my living room is just as good and the beer is better.

How much is a Season Ticket to watch Rovers games in your living room?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hasta said:

That’s who you are complaining against but what is the actual complaint?

Of the group I used to go with in the 90s, one has moved about 45 mins away and now has kids. He didn’t get a ST when he moved away and has gradually stopped coming altogether apart from the odd game here and there. He’s brought his young son a couple of times recently.

Another stopped going because he was pissed off that Kean wasn’t sacked and didn’t want to go whilst Kean was in charge as he felt he was having the piss ripped out of him. That first two seasons in the championship were a shambles off the pitch so he didn’t go back. Now he just does other stuff at the weekend .He will come now and again, generally if we have a night out planned after, but says he honestly doesn’t miss it.

The third, interestingly, stopped having a ST as he was missing a lot of games due to shifts. The only time he got one was in the Darwen End when they were reduced to £199, but still ended up missing a few and didn’t renew. He still goes on the freebies from our group or for cheap games. He is a prime example of a fan who may be tempted if he thought the cost was cheap enough to fall into his ‘easily disposable’ bracket.

None of them would say “If it weren’t for Venkys I would go back”, although Venkys clearly drove the second lad away.

So my question again, is what are you actually complaining about them?

Out of interest, I think a £200 season ticket with a free kids ticket would interest one and three although I appreciate that’s too big a price drop.

I thought I'd answered that in the first paragraph, maybe read it again. 

On the discounted tickets, it would be interesting to know how much it would cost the club to discount the regular 8 or 9000 existing season ticket holders to come in line with the new ones. They obviously couldn't continue charging the existing ones at the current price. 

2 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Bolton’s are not far off half our price that’s why they sell so many.

But the PNE 12k? Of course we could.

What about the loss of revenue from existing ticket holders? 

To be honest, it only dawned on me today that the club would have to discount those in line with the others. 

Obviously 8000 at £100 discount is £800k. I know it wouldn't equate to that, with kids tickets, so be interesting to know the hit. 

Edited by M_B

8 hours ago, Miller11 said:

I don’t think Waggott or indeed anyone else at the club even attempt to claim that our season tickets offer good value for money. They have been pretty open about the fact they have financial targets to hit and doing so is their absolute priority. The idea is to charge as much as the core market will bear, it’s not to increase support or provide value.

Of course people in the ground don’t think tickets are too expensive for them. If they did they wouldn’t be there! But they are in a ground that is 2/3 empty. 

Yes we all know Waggott has financial targets to meet but they are a different ways he could meet them.  

3 hours ago, PeteJD13 said:

Here’s the thing with some saying good value, and buying a season ticket at all costs. between me and my wife we both earn substantially over the national average salary and earn good money. So affording one has never been an issue. But when your bills go up nearly 600 quid a month that income squeeze makes you revaluate , suddenly a season ticket isn’t appealing with the complete lack of flexible options. When you then factor in the poor pricing and food options for match day catering, not renewing is easy. If i wanted to go match by match the standard match day pricing isn't an incentive to then go either, the match day experience is rubbish. I suspect I’m not the only one that thinks that way. I’m totally disillusioned with Rovers they don't care about the fans, so why should i feel the same way, its easy to become disinterested.

I see them as value for money as I can make every game, enjoy going to watch Rovers and its my only main social activity nowadays. Financial I can afford it easily. 

Please could you explain what would make the match day experience better?  

45 minutes ago, M_B said:

What about the loss of revenue from existing ticket holders? 

To be honest, it only dawned on me today that the club would have to discount those in line with the others. 

Obviously 8000 at £100 discount is £800k. I know it wouldn't equate to that, with kids tickets, so be interesting to know the hit. 

If they reverted back to the early bird prices they’d only have to reimburse the difference to a few hundred fans ( @goozburger might have a more accurate number for this)

My feeling is this would be more then compensated for by an increase on the volume of sales we are currently seeing.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes we all know Waggott has financial targets to meet but they are a different ways he could meet them.  

I see them as value for money as I can make every game, enjoy going to watch Rovers and its my only main social activity nowadays. Financial I can afford it easily. 

Please could you explain what would make the match day experience better?

Winning every week 😀

• Moderation Lead
24 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Please could you explain what would make the match day experience better?  

Better food and drink for starters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Better food and drink for starters.

Nothing wrong with a cold hot dog and a sweaty curry on a Saturday afternoon what you on about?

As a previous poster alluded to, the pint at Rovers is the worst I’ve had anywhere in the world at any point in my life. Some won’t see it as a big deal, and it probably isn’t, but it’s literally the standard of the whole match day experience at Rovers, drab and half arsed.

Overpriced tickets

Scatter gun approach to the games they target with cheaper tickets (who the fuck decided Reading on a Tuesday night was a good game to do that with?)

Rubbish pre game and half time entertainment, nothing builds the atmosphere like having rock music blared at your ear drums so you can’t have a conversation with the person next to you, followed by a kids penalty shootout at half time

Terrible food and drink options both inside and outside the ground

Ground not even 1/3 full at kick off as people still making their way in, and then less than half full during the game due to sales

Segregated numbers and no singing sections leading to poor atmospheres

Poor traffic control round the ground

Lack of creativity to entice people into the surrounding areas. No match day special offers at the local pubs the club could take a cut of in exchange for promoting it?

Every ground I went to last season had people buzzing in around the ground for hours before kick off, good pub options, good food options, it makes you want to get there early and ultimately spend more money.

For a lot of good we do in the community, once the people we work on getting into the stadium are actually in there the atmosphere and experience is awful for the most part. I myself am now guilty of doing exactly what causes this, I’ll get through the gates around 2:57 and I’m out of there bang on the final whistle. There’s nothing to entice me into or around the ground early and nothing to make me want to hang around afterwards. If we’re out of form I tend to give some games a miss, not through spite but if it’s a 50/50 choice between a plan with the family and a Rovers game, or if I might not make kick off or am running slightly late, I can’t really look at it as a ‘at least it’s a good day out even if we get beat’ when it simply isn’t.

4 hours ago, M_B said:

I've said time and again on here that I don't believe people who use the Venkys as an excuse. Don't try to tell me what I was thinking. 

You jumped on my comment and completely missed the use of the word "choose" . 

As I said, your points were valid, but you've now moved the goalposts to cover up your mistake. Other than that, I agree with what you say. People are struggling, cheaper tickets would definitely help, whether £100  would make a 5 or 6000 difference like Bolton, I very much doubt. But as some have said, maybe give it a try. 

The one thing I would add is that they would have to knock off £100 from the  existing 8000+ season ticket holders. Thats a massive deficit before we start. 

Why do people need to have excuses/be excused for not going?

9 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Poor traffic control round the ground

Lack of creativity to entice people into the surrounding areas. No match day special offers at the local pubs the club could take a cut of in exchange for promoting it?

Can Rovers really be blame for the poor traffic control around the ground. 

Do you think local pubs want Rovers to get a cut of their profits given that's most pubs around the area are most busier on match days and quiet most of the time

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Can Rovers really be blame for the poor traffic control around the ground. 

Do you think local pubs want Rovers to get a cut of their profits given that's most pubs around the area are most busier on match days and quiet most of the time

A cut of their increased profits, not overall profits. A day at the football used to be a day at the football. I now go to Rovers for one thing and one thing only; to watch the match. Don’t spend a penny more than I need to.

1 hour ago, wilsdenrover said:

If they reverted back to the early bird prices they’d only have to reimburse the difference to a few hundred fans ( @goozburger might have a more accurate number for this)

My feeling is this would be more then compensated for by an increase on the volume of sales we are currently seeing.

I don't really understand that. If my ticket was £380 this season and next year it's decided to lower it to £280,that's £100 the club has to find from other sales. 

Multiply that by 8000,and you're £800k down on next year's sales, assuming all 8000ish renew. It doesn't seem to have been factored into people's thinking that there would be a very big loss made from the regular buyers. 

I know it wouldn't equate to £800,000 because of senior/junior sales, but it would still be a big loss from the main source of income. 

It’s obvious why they are ‘staying away’, it’s because we charge top dollar for second tier football.

To increase the gates one of two things needs to happen; either get into the Premier League, but obviously that’s not entirely in the club’s control as many, many factors are in play there before that becomes a reality, or reduce prices to a level the floating fan sees as more reasonable for the EFL, especially if they know they may miss a few games, totally in the club’s control.

Do neither, so continue to charge £375-£500 a ST in the second division and season tickets will oscillate between 7k and 9k until the end of time. Not a lot else to it.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2