BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Women's World Cup 2023

50 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

IF the world of football is all tied together that statement demands that it includes the women's game which contrary to your views does not sit outside any bubble.

This will turn out to be the most successful women's WC ever with the highest stadium and TV audiences ever. This will attract more sponsors to the women's game and it will continue to grow.

It is a totally different game to the mens in most facets of the game so it's never going to be everyone's cup of tea but there are a hell of a lot of females in this world of ours who are the primary target audience.

Up until a few years ago I had absolutely no interest in any women's sport but as my loves are football and cricket I looked at the women's game in these sports at the top level and like what I see. Skill, endeavour and committment and much less cheating and showboating 

You should at least watch England and the ex Rover girls. They are up against Haiti, who I've never seen play, on Saturday.

I'm not trying to discredit it.

The bubble analogy is because there will never be transfers between men's and womens teams. So it does sit outside of that bubble.

It's one of those things that the more it begins to develop, I'm sure my interest will increase. I find it difficult to be emotionally invested for one off games as I don't know the history. I've not seen players develop through their careers. I'm not anticipating whether a player lives up to their potential in the future. For me, seeing club level football in the women's game develop would give me more of that consistent interest. It is developing at a rapid pace which is great. Its not hooked me in yet. But I hope that development continues, and I'm more drawn to it in the future. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't find it interesting either. I'm not going to get into the quality on show because I think it does a disservice to the women's game. Physical differences, investment, maturity of the game. Making comparisons is unfair and takes away from the opportunity for some to enjoy it, purely for the spectacle that it is. I also think these comparisons, many of which are pushed by the media create a hostile view from some about the women's game. Because objectively speaking, it's totally different and it actually creates factions where people are less inclined to watch and support.

The reason i can't get into it, is because it is so totally separate from what I've always loved. I can't think of any better analogy than to liken it to product ecosystems. You'll get some people who own every apple product and would never buy anything different because they are all compatible with each other. When I watch football, whatever the level, each team and player I'm watching, I'm always thinking about how they might develop, sometimes thinking how it could benefit Rovers or England, or even a whole bunch of foreign teams I've got a soft spot for.

The world of football is all tied together for me. So to have an aspect of the sport which sits outside that bubble is difficult to get into. I'm not trying to discredit the progression the women's game has made. If England progress I may watch a couple of the later games.

Same here. As soon as they made the quarters and onwards last year, I was fully immersed 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ben_the_beast said:

I'm not trying to discredit it.

The bubble analogy is because there will never be transfers between men's and womens teams. So it does sit outside of that bubble.

It's one of those things that the more it begins to develop, I'm sure my interest will increase. I find it difficult to be emotionally invested for one off games as I don't know the history. I've not seen players develop through their careers. I'm not anticipating whether a player lives up to their potential in the future. For me, seeing club level football in the women's game develop would give me more of that consistent interest. It is developing at a rapid pace which is great. Its not hooked me in yet. But I hope that development continues, and I'm more drawn to it in the future. 

If only the big monied selfish clubs had allowed the Ladies game at the top level to develop organically Rovers Ladies would probably have maintained their rightful status for years and perhaps have retained players who went on to play for the National team.

Sadly in football corruption is prevalent at all the top levels.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Same here. As soon as they made the quarters and onwards last year, I was fully immersed 

Good to hear, it's a learning and acceptance curve and I hope England go on to fulfill their potential this year at WC level.

They have competition, Spain look good.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Did the commentator just say she’s confused by a booking for something that happened after a foul (VAR check)?

Surely that happens all the time?

Yes she did. No problem with the pen being turned down because of the prior foul but it was a red for violent conduct, she meant to break a leg and moved her foot well away from the ball to do it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes she did. No problem with the pen being turned down because of the prior foul but it was a red for violent conduct, she meant to break a leg and moved her foot well away from the ball to do it.

I thought it was an horrific challenge.  Red card all day

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Its actual high quality football.  U couldn't really tell the different between the mens game and the women's 

Spot on. I'm now able to watch top level women's football just for the football and no thoughts of gender.

• Like 2