BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Women's World Cup 2023

Despite missing a penalty co-hosts New Zealand beat the highly rated Norway team 1-0 in the opening game today and deservedly so.

It was a very watchable game and the NZ goal came from a fast, skilful counter attack and cool finish. A goal worthy of winning any game.

A noisy and partisan crowd of 42,000 created a great atmosphere.

The Aussies v Ireland ko at 5 pm UK time, live on ITV.

it clashes with the Ashes though so I'll only have half an eye on it.

England v Haiti is on Saturday.

17 minutes ago, roverandout said:

Wish I found the women's world cup interesting but I just don't.  Maybe in 50 years the women's world cup will be as big as the men's 

NZ had a most effective central striker. Tall lady, took punishment and put herself about against quite niggly opposition ... and scored the winner.

The game was faster than I expected and very competitive.

But it's nothing like the mens game, never will be, but I hope it grows on its own merits.

Interestingly they played 9 mins extra time at the end of the 2nd half after no major stoppages. I wonder if that's a taste of the new directives.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, philipl said:

Are any of the players who started at Rovers still involved?

How Rovers got stitched up in female soccer was enough to turn everyone off it.

Ella Toone is, and she scored in our win in the Euro 2022 final.

Add Keira Walsh and Georgia Stanway who scored the winner in that Euro Final.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

12 hours ago, jodrell said:

Rovers won the league unbeaten but didn't get promoted. But a new moan utd team did.

Unreal. Even the women's game is corrupt as fuck.

Never had the same love for the game after west ham being rewarded for fielding ineligible players and fixing at least one match.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, superniko said:

Can't believe (bar obvious dodgy fifa) that they've still never hosted a mens tournament down there. Sport mad country, with good infrastructure. 

They bid for one of the recent ones, but they were not as strong as Qatar apparently. I think it was that one they went for. They needed Rupert Murdoch to fill some brown envelopes with some dollars.

26 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

They bid for one of the recent ones, but they were not as strong as Qatar apparently. I think it was that one they went for. They needed Rupert Murdoch to fill some brown envelopes with some dollars.

They needed Rupert Murdoch to sign some arms deals.

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Australia with NZ are planning a bid for the 2034 mens World Cup and also the 2029 World Club Club Cup.

The success of the current women's World Cup will strengthen these bids but working against them are the shenanigans in Victoria and the cancellation of the 2026 Commonwealth Games and FIFAs liking for money, especially Saudi and similar.

Aus and NZ have the infrastructure and are an ideal location for a July WC, not that FIFA will give a toss about that.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

2 hours ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

They were bidders for the 2022 WC but became victims of the joint top most corrupt bidding process ever.

3 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

There has been a shooting on the beach near where the Norwegian women are staying. Two dead and lots injured. That can’t be good for their bid. Madness

That is a problem and now a growing problem which Australia appears to have caught from the US. Not good.

Meanwhile the Saudis kill thousands with UK arms supplies and still finance terrorist groups as have the Qataris for decades.

And just look at 2026 being held in a country of daily mass shootings often of kids in school and another with drug cartels and frequent mass murders.

A world of corruption which FIFA exploits.

51 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Australia with NZ are planning a bid for the 2034 mens World Cup and also the 2029 World Club Club Cup.

The success of the current women's World Cup will strengthen these bids but working against them are the shenanigans in Victoria and the cancellation of the 2026 Commonwealth Games and FIFAs liking for money, especially Saudi and similar.

Aus and NZ have the infrastructure and are an ideal location for a July WC, not that FIFA will give a toss about that.

It's freezing here today you know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, roverandout said:

Wish I found the women's world cup interesting but I just don't.  Maybe in 50 years the women's world cup will be as big as the men's 

I don't find it interesting either. I'm not going to get into the quality on show because I think it does a disservice to the women's game. Physical differences, investment, maturity of the game. Making comparisons is unfair and takes away from the opportunity for some to enjoy it, purely for the spectacle that it is. I also think these comparisons, many of which are pushed by the media create a hostile view from some about the women's game. Because objectively speaking, it's totally different and it actually creates factions where people are less inclined to watch and support.

The reason i can't get into it, is because it is so totally separate from what I've always loved. I can't think of any better analogy than to liken it to product ecosystems. You'll get some people who own every apple product and would never buy anything different because they are all compatible with each other. When I watch football, whatever the level, each team and player I'm watching, I'm always thinking about how they might develop, sometimes thinking how it could benefit Rovers or England, or even a whole bunch of foreign teams I've got a soft spot for.

The world of football is all tied together for me. So to have an aspect of the sport which sits outside that bubble is difficult to get into. I'm not trying to discredit the progression the women's game has made. If England progress I may watch a couple of the later games.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

It's freezing here today you know.

I've seen the weather forecast for the North West, eye on the Ashes, and I feel for you.

Hot weather has its attractions but believe me they are tempered when you get a heat rash like I have currently. It's the rainy season out here now so quite difficult to shake off in the hoy humidity.

18 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

I don't find it interesting either. I'm not going to get into the quality on show because I think it does a disservice to the women's game. Physical differences, investment, maturity of the game. Making comparisons is unfair and takes away from the opportunity for some to enjoy it, purely for the spectacle that it is. I also think these comparisons, many of which are pushed by the media create a hostile view from some about the women's game. Because objectively speaking, it's totally different and it actually creates factions where people are less inclined to watch and support.

The reason i can't get into it, is because it is so totally separate from what I've always loved. I can't think of any better analogy than to liken it to product ecosystems. You'll get some people who own every apple product and would never buy anything different because they are all compatible with each other. When I watch football, whatever the level, each team and player I'm watching, I'm always thinking about how they might develop, sometimes thinking how it could benefit Rovers or England, or even a whole bunch of foreign teams I've got a soft spot for.

The world of football is all tied together for me. So to have an aspect of the sport which sits outside that bubble is difficult to get into. I'm not trying to discredit the progression the women's game has made. If England progress I may watch a couple of the later games.

IF the world of football is all tied together that statement demands that it includes the women's game which contrary to your views does not sit outside any bubble.

This will turn out to be the most successful women's WC ever with the highest stadium and TV audiences ever. This will attract more sponsors to the women's game and it will continue to grow.

It is a totally different game to the mens in most facets of the game so it's never going to be everyone's cup of tea but there are a hell of a lot of females in this world of ours who are the primary target audience.

Up until a few years ago I had absolutely no interest in any women's sport but as my loves are football and cricket I looked at the women's game in these sports at the top level and like what I see. Skill, endeavour and committment and much less cheating and showboating 

You should at least watch England and the ex Rover girls. They are up against Haiti, who I've never seen play, on Saturday.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

The best analogy I've heard is the 100 metres. As someone asked, do you watch the women's 100m Olympic  and all the way through the competition compare it to the men's? No you don't, you just accept that it's different.

Sky and the rest seem to have backed off with the comparisons. They are/were ridiculous and do the women's game no favours whatsoever. The women's game should be left to it's own merits. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

IF the world of football is all tied together that statement demands that it includes the women's game which contrary to your views does not sit outside any bubble.

This will turn out to be the most successful women's WC ever with the highest stadium and TV audiences ever. This will attract more sponsors to the women's game and it will continue to grow.

It is a totally different game to the mens in most facets of the game so it's never going to be everyone's cup of tea but there are a hell of a lot of females in this world of ours who are the primary target audience.

Up until a few years ago I had absolutely no interest in any women's sport but as my loves are football and cricket I looked at the women's game in these sports at the top level and like what I see. Skill, endeavour and committment and much less cheating and showboating 

You should at least watch England and the ex Rover girls. They are up against Haiti, who I've never seen play, on Saturday.

Don't know if you're aware, Lucas Neil runs the Accy Stanley girls/women, and a fine job he's doing. 

Edited by M_B
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, M_B said:

Don't know if you're aware, Lucas Neil runs the Accy Stanley girls/women, and a fine job he's doing. 

I thought he went back to HMP Aust? 

On the women’s game apart from some of the goalkeeping the standard now is excellent and the games  very watchable - which you wouldn’t have said a few years ago.

And one of the great things about it is the sports(wo)manship with none or very little of the playacting / conning referees / downright cheating you get in the men’s game.

Looking forward to England’s first game on Saturday - I’m sure the friendly sporting natives will be behind us too

• Like 2