BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Walsall (h) - 8/8/23 - Carabao Cup R1

4 hours ago, Rover8T4 said:

Only managed to see the highlights for this game. Could someone give me abit more info how John Buckley got on. An assist with a very good pass, And the timing of his run for his goal made him look sharp. Left the defenders at the pie van. Did he play the short game well?

Got slated on here by one poster for being selfish and scoring his goal ffs. Said he should have passed to Ennis to score. Why? It was a sublime finish. If he had passed and Ennis missed then he would have been slated for not taking the chance when he had it. Seems some players will never get credit on here whatever they do. Fortunately it’s a minuscule element of the fan base

• Like 5

Having watched the whole thing on Rovers website, I have seen the bad moments which brought criticism onto all the players receiving criticism.

The overall reality is everyone played a decent game of football without impressing or making an unarguable case to be selected on Saturday. 

Rovers were always in control and stepped it up when needed as shown by how quickly we equalised each time and took the lead after half time.

Gilsenan and Garrett probably did most to advance their cause.

As players with first team experience, none of the Wharton brothers, Brittain, Buckley, Hedges or Ennis did enough for me to force a change to last Saturdays starting eleven. All had decent games but nothing that special. 

Equally, I would have no problem starting last night's team at Harrogate but obviously Wahlstedt if not Pears would go in goal and it is not impossible there would be other new faces by then...

• Like 3

I too watched the full replay and largely agree with the above, but I do feel Ennis put in a good performance considering his apparent fitness issues.

He chased the ball down well, scored a nice goal with a good touch and turn to finish, took another good snapshot which was saved well and put a couple of decent balls into the danger zone. I'm cautiously optimistic about his chances here.

• Like 3

On 10/08/2023 at 00:03, ossyian said:

Got slated on here by one poster for being selfish and scoring his goal ffs. Said he should have passed to Ennis to score. Why? It was a sublime finish. If he had passed and Ennis missed then he would have been slated for not taking the chance when he had it. Seems some players will never get credit on here whatever they do. Fortunately it’s a minuscule element of the fan base

I agree, thought it was a bizarre thing to post. Imagine being annoyed a player scored for us.

Buckley has been guilty in the past of shooting when he should pass, and passing when he should shoot. And he's missed some sitters too. But he got that one exactly right and notched it into the bargain. What's to criticise? Just the one poster though.

• Like 3