BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Maybe off-topic, but of utmost importance. The Blackburn R

The R still seems pretty strong with white Blackburn kids. Of course I have to differentiate because the Asian Blackburn accent is a different accent, similar-ish, but different. As the Asian community of Blackburn continues to grow the R will ultimately keep weakening. But it’s still strong in Darwen and Hyndburn.

On 31/12/2023 at 19:57, Ianrally said:

Well southerners should take solace in this. They even put R’s in words where they don’t exist: eg 

I thought I sawr a pussy cat

I did some drawring at school today

Obviously not English that they are speaking!

Yeah “ drawring “ used to drive me mad when I worked in the high school. All the teachers I worked with said it all the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Yeah “ drawring “ used to drive me mad when I worked in the high school. All the teachers I worked with said it all the time.

Drives me mad and drove my dad mad too. And they reckon we can’t speak properly !!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 31/12/2023 at 08:23, Mattyblue said:

The R still seems pretty strong with white Blackburn kids. Of course I have to differentiate because the Asian Blackburn accent is a different accent, similar-ish, but different. As the Asian community of Blackburn continues to grow the R will ultimately keep weakening. But it’s still strong in Darwen and Hyndburn.

It also is in Burnley and Preston too

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Weaker R in Preston.

It’s a strong accent in Burnley, but it’s not as rhotic as the Blackburn one. More ‘down the stay-ers’, ‘over they-er’ than the ‘overrr therrre’ of a Blackburn accent.

Definitely more Yorkshire over in Dingle land.

Bastards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...