BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers V Burnley History

I don't need a video to tell me the answer is 'Rovers' 😉

Fairly interesting to see the changes mapped out over the years though. I enjoyed how by the time Burnley won their first trophy, we had already won more than they've won in their entire history, and we've also won more since then!

I don't get the modern-day obsession with attendances, they barely matter at all when considering who's bigger etc IMO, but I did find some of the changes interesting and made me reflect on what demographic or other changes were spurring them. There are some major fluctuations there considering it's the same two towns throughout.

It could have done with an overall average league position and average attendance at the end of each of those bits, to give full historical context.

• Like 5

Interesting but the only one that matters against your rivals is the head to head results and Rovers are behind. With the Dingles looking certain to be in the Championship next season we have the chance to draw level but I'm not confident we can do it.

On 11/01/2024 at 06:40, Claytonron said:

Interesting but the only one that matters against your rivals is the head to head results and Rovers are behind. With the Dingles looking certain to be in the Championship next season we have the chance to draw level but I'm not confident we can do it.

Not a fucking chance whilst venkys are involved.

As we were founded in 1875 and Burnley in 1882, I can't think why we didn't play each other until 1888. I have always thought that ours was the oldest derby between league clubs, forget the Sheffield v Hallam one.

I realise that the Football League was only founded in 1888 and we were both founder members including among others, West Brom and Wolves, but they first played each other in Jan 1886 making that the oldest. Gutted

15 minutes ago, Ianrally said:

As we were founded in 1875 and Burnley in 1882, I can't think why we didn't play each other until 1888. I have always thought that ours was the oldest derby between league clubs, forget the Sheffield v Hallam one.

I realise that the Football League was only founded in 1888 and we were both founder members including among others, West Brom and Wolves, but they first played each other in Jan 1886 making that the oldest. Gutted

The ever reliable Wikipedia has the first meeting as being 27th September 1884.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Lancashire_derby

On 10/01/2024 at 17:40, Claytonron said:

Totally disagree, the only one that really matters is trophies.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Ianrally said:

On the “Let’s Compare” video at the head of this thread it’s 1888. 

Yes I think the official " Head to Head " only includes Football League, FA and League Cups and two Anglo-Scottish Cup games. If you include those two, Burnley lead 44-41-19, without them, it's 43-41-18 ...

We've obviously met many other times, with fixtures before the League started, Lancashire Cup ties, Manx trophy etc ... We're all lucky to follow two great Clubs with fantastic histories ... 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UFF55 said:

be interesting to get this posted up on there forum and see what they make of it, surely they cant think they have a better histroy than us.

They certainly have a better recent history. Let's be honest a lot of our trophies were won when Noah was a lad.