BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Simon Garner's Club Record

Fascinating bit of Rovers trivia here about Simon Garner's club record 192 Rovers goals. As revealed by 4,000 Holes this season, it appears that one goal in 1980 was incorrectly credited to him – so should the true record be 191 goals? Full details in this article:

https://brfcs.com/magazine/articles/the-phantom-garner-goal/546

It's not quite "were Rovers actually founded in 1874?!" but any information, explanations or opinions about this mystery would be greatly appreciated!

Garner Phantom 3.JPG

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do seem to recall Brannigan scoring an absolute screamer from about 25 yards. No idea who it was against but I'm pretty sure it was at the BBE as I was in the old Riverside stand at the time.

It was probably a tap in from 6 yards knowing what my memory's like these days! 🤣.

Edited by windymiller7

Posted (edited)

Jim Branagan did manage 5 goals in 337 appearances - so not exactly a Ryan Nyambe!

Scored against: Rotherham (A) 5/2/80, Newcastle (H) 1/5/82, Wolves (H) 15/1/83, Oldham (H) 20/10/84, Shrewsbury (H) 7/2/87.

For reference, here's the one he's not been credited with against Bury:

Edited by 4,000 Holes

2 hours ago, 4,000 Holes said:

Jim Branagan did manage 5 goals in 337 appearances - so not exactly a Ryan Nyambe!

Scored against: Rotherham (A) 5/2/80, Newcastle (H) 1/5/82, Wolves (H) 15/1/83, Oldham (H) 20/10/84, Shrewsbury (H) 7/2/87.

For reference, here's the one he's not been credited with against Bury:

Looking at his scoring record there, I would think that the 'screamer' I referred to was against Oldham. Wolves '83 was around the time I'd first started going so don't think I'd recall it that well & by 87 I'd 'graduated' to the front of the BBE.

• Like 1

I went to this match. It was shown on ITV's 'The Big Match' the following afternoon. 

I've never seen it crop up on Youtube, other than very brief highlights, but I remember that it was the lead match on TV. It would be interesting if anyone has a copy of it on video, although 1980 was quite early in the home video format. In fact we didn't get a video until 1986 and that was only because my parents were away for the Royal Wedding of Andrew and Fergie and wanted to watch it when they got back.

It seems fairly conclusive that Branagan scored it from the old footage. I like how Garns didn't attempt to set the record straight and still claims the goal 44 years later. 

I once accused him of being a serial cheat (in an affectionate way)at a Blues Bar event some years ago, and this backs me up. 

• Like 1

On the subject of records I was helping my granddaughter who is doing a project for history about something local (she chose Rovers) and realised that three records were broken last season. Can anybody name them?

Well done wilsdenrover and MarkBRFC. Three records being broken proves to me that it has been one of my strangest seasons watching Rovers.

• Like 3