BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Decent holiday reads anyone?

FourLaneBlue

And once again this thread returns to the top.

Well, it's been a long time since we chatted about books and all things associated so I figured that some of you will have a few recommendations and tales of caution to share. Since this thread was last in circulation I have been reading (in no particular order)...

Star of the sea - Joseph O'Connor - mentioned last time round but was only halfway through when I commented then. In short, it's bloody marvellous and can't recommend it enough. Funny, moving, informative, tragic and not simply a whodunnit, but a who's-gonna-get-it and a how're-they-gonna-do-it. Sex, violence, famine, nationalism, disease, a knife wielding psycho and it will keep you guessing to the very last page (I guessed wrong).

Gates of fire - Steven Pressfield - originally recommended to me by Blue Phil a long time ago and I have to say it was genuinely superb and should be required reading for all Europeans and/or anyone who treasures any aspect of Western Civilisation. Funny, fierce, shocking, deeply moving and ultimately uplifting. If you can get through this book with dry eyes you have a heart of stone. I'm led to believe it's the book of choice among British troops serving overseas and I can see why. When the inevitable film comes out, it will eclipse all previous ancient history yarns. Hats off to those Greek lads.

Trainspotting - Irvine Welch - even though I'd seen the film I thought I'd give it a whirl and it doesn't disappoint, and although all of the characters are far more repellant than they are in the film, you can't help but care (sort of) about Renton and Spud and you crave some sort of brutal justice to befall Sick Boy and Begbie. Sex, drugs and rock & roll... with the emphasis on the drugs.

The legate's daughter - Wallace Breem - my earlier posts had extolled the virtues of Eagle In The Snow by the late Mr Breem and I was so looking forward to this book. The word that sums it up is disappointing as it never really gets going and I was disinterested for large parts of it. Approach with caution.

Under the eagle - Simon Scarrow - originally recommended by Flopsy if I remember rightly. Er, it's not bad and ideal holiday reading but it's not brilliant either. That said, it's a good starter for those less well-versed in Roman Britain, but the 2D characters are somewhat grating.

Treasure Island - Robert Louis Stevenson - first read this when I was about 10, partly due to early ambition to be a pirate, but always meant to read it again. In short, magnificent and Blind Pew still scared the bejasus out of me. Surely Long John Silver is the ultimate rogue and you can't help but like him. Give yourself a treat and read it again.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - I expect a lot of you will have read this by now and some will have some firm opinions. For my part, I thought it was a good page turner but it's little more than chase across Paris, London and Scotland with some (screamingly obvious) clues along the way. Ideal for reading on holiday or a long train journey, but it's not exactly great conspiracy novel it likes to think it is and although I won't spoil it for those who are yet to read it, it rarely offers any real surprises. For those wanting a bit of real intrigue I'd still suggest The Name Of The Rose.

Emperor: The death of kings - Conn Iggulden - the second instalment of the Carry On Julius biography of G.J. Caesar and like the first part it's a good yarn and ideal pulp for a holiday read. The third instalment is out in hardback now but I'll wait until I get the paperback next Christmas before I'm tempted to pick it up.

A drink with Shane MacGowan -Victoria Mary Clark - undoubtedly the funniest, most honest (auto)biography I've ever read and would recommend to anyone, not just fans of the permanently pickled Mr MacGowan. The book is a series of transcripts of conversations between Shane and Victoria Clark (his former beloved) when he's had a drink... or eight and it's very easy to get into. There's a lot of things he says I disagree with and his childhood is alarming to say the least (drinking two bottles of Guinness a day from the age of five - with the blessing of his guardians!), but you can't help be charmed by his wit, tall stories, wry look at life and blindingly blunt view on just about everything (childhood, alcohol, drugs, the IRA, punk, politics, education, agriculture, sex, other musicians, etc). Thoroughly recommended. Random quote "There's two things I hate in this world: racism... and the English".

There's only one Simon Garner - Simon Garner - finally got round to reading it and felt so disappointed. First of all, it's way too short and he tells you hardly anything about the footballing figures he encountered along the way. When he does, it's great (like when he declares Andy Crawford to be a tosser), but it's all too rare and it's only like he scratching the surface. A huge let-down.

At the moment I've just started reading The talisman of Troy - Valerio Massimo Manfredi and it's seems... well... okay. Not sparkling but reasonable so far. I read one of his earlier books (Spartan) and thought it was crap, but he deserves a second chance.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, I'd forgotten all about this thread. smile.gif

After the summer I read The Swords Of Night And Day, the most recent of David Gemmell's Drenai saga, which was ok, but far from his best. Then I sort of went off the whole Sword and Sorcery thing for a while and read the third in Orson Scott Card's Seventh Son series, enthralling stuff set in an alternate-history fronteir America. Not you usual fantasy fair and once you get past the silly period dialect its very hard to put the damn thing down.

I also took in Filth by Irvine Welch. The first three quarters were just Welch-by-numbers. Any of his readers will know the formula. The main characters go and see someone who tells them a story about how somone got degraded in some completely depraved way. Yawn. The last hundred pages though, were incredible. I'm convinced that Welch started writing the book randomly about the most repulsive figure he could think of (a mason/protestant/Hearts fan/policeman)...but when he actually decides to show us why this guy is the way he is...its gripping and completely tragic.

On a lighter note The Fallible Fiend by L. Sprague DeCamp was good ridicluous fun - a patische of the fantasy genre from the point of view of a demon. Short and forgettable but a good airport book, no doubt.

Edited by Radagast

I read Filth a few years ago and thought it was tremendous. Then again, it was by first Welch book so maybe I didn't know the formula. Then again, anyone who can create such a loathsome character as Bruce and manage to include Frank Sidebottom gets the nod from me. However, I did find the inclusion of the tapeworm's thoughts to be very distracting and very annoying.

Chronicles - Volume One - Bob Dylan

A fantastic read for any Dylan fan and far from the usual biography stuff....but then what else would you expect from Bob Dylan. On my second read since Christmas and looking forward to Volume 2.

I read Filth a few years ago and thought it was tremendous. Then again, it was by first Welch book so maybe I didn't know the formula. Then again, anyone who can create such a loathsome character as Bruce and manage to include Frank Sidebottom gets the nod from me. However, I did find the inclusion of the tapeworm's thoughts to be very distracting and very annoying.

I couldn't read Filth

Probably due to the fact that it was full of Scottish slang and I had to read it out loud. people on the bus must of thought I was a nutter.

Platform by Michel Houellebecq is good. Bit naughty though.

Read 'True Crime' by Jake Arnott recently while travelling and loved it, a nicely crafted gangster story from the author of 'The Long Firm' and 'He kills coppers'. Would recommend both of those as well. While covers the same ground as many a crime tale it is wonderfully polished and an accomplished novel. Give one of Arnott's novels a go and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Ah, I'd forgotten all about this thread. smile.gif

After the summer I read The Swords Of Night And Day, the most recent of David Gemmell's Drenai saga, which was ok, but far from his best. Then I sort of went off the whole Sword and Sorcery thing for a while and read the third in Orson Scott Card's Seventh Son series, enthralling stuff set in an alternate-history fronteir America. Not you usual fantasy fair and once you get past the silly period dialect its very hard to put the damn thing down.

As soon as I finish Gene Wolfe's Books of the New Sun (which is turning into more of a slog than I'd hoped, although not quite as bad as the similarly themed Tales of The Dying Earth by Jack Vance - fantasy masterwork my @rse) I plan to read Ender's Game ahead of the film coming out this / next year. Read Seventh Son years ago, and remember it being pretty good, but never really got into the series.

For anyone after a sci-fi recommendation, Alistair Reynolds' Century Rain is a good read (albeit a bit of a departure from his previous stuff), and Broken Angels by Richard Morgan is just fantastic, even better than it's predecessor.

Edited by Morph

Another vote for "A Season With Verona" by Tim Parks.

Absolutely flipping brilliant. English bloke living in Italy for 20 years, follows Hellas Verona for every match through (without wishing to spoil it for you) a rollercoasting nailbiter of a season in 2000 - 2001. One of the few books I've read twice.

Interesting to see how similar much of it is to football here, or at least how it used to be before you could get chucked out and banned for life for not applauding the opposition, and fascinating to see how some of the ancient rivalries and alliances between cities still live on. Clever, gripping and at times pant-wettingly funny - some of the insults they come up with for opposing teams make "the Dingles" seem very reserved.

Forza Giallobluuuuu!

I don't know if it's already been mentioned but I would strongly recommend Daily Mail favourite His Dark Materials (Northern Lights, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass). This trilogy, written by Philip Pullman, is prgressively audacious in both scope and ideas. The religious/secular conflict is actually quite a discomforting read, Pullman's ideas would have been considered heresy 30 years ago.

Fantastic stories though.

The Da Vinci Code - Dan Brown - I expect a lot of you will have read this by now and some will have some firm opinions. For my part, I thought it was a good page turner but it's little more than chase across Paris, London and Scotland with some (screamingly obvious) clues along the way. Ideal for reading on holiday or a long train journey, but it's not exactly great conspiracy novel it likes to think it is and although I won't spoil it for those who are yet to read it, it rarely offers any real surprises. For those wanting a bit of real intrigue I'd still suggest The Name Of The Rose.

Just finished reading angels and demons which I found to be a more riveting read than da vinci code. I now have this craving to go to Rome and try out the mapping for myself!

The great playwright Arthur Miller sadly died a few days ago , a wonderful writer and a brave man who stood up to be counted during the McCarthy era , a time when those holding unpopular and unfashionable views found their freedom of expression suppressed .

Some things it seems never change ....Miller famously challenged the prevailing attitudes with , amongst other writings , his masterpiece The Crucible , a play that is as relevant today as it ever was - and which appropiately has lately been shown as far afield as China . Maybe it would find an appreciative audience in our own Birmingham ...

On a similar theme I recently finished The Crucible in History and Other Essays - recommended a couple of years ago by Ade who used to post on here . Whatever happened to him ?

I've just read Bill Bryson's 'A Short History of Nearly Everything'.

This book really does open up your eyes to the world around you. The way he put facts into a perspective that fairly dim people (like me) can grasp is excellent. But, you do end up boring people with 'useless' facts and figures for weeks after.

A book for people interested in all things science; astronomy, cosmology, geology, biology, etc.

Anything by Pete McCarthy. I'm just re-reading his "McCarthy's Bar," a recollection of his travels round Ireland."

There's also a book of his (I cant remember the title) which describes his journies to the four ends of the globe looking for other McCarthys (NZ/Alaska/ Ireland/ Morocco.) A darn good read and his description of an aborted plane landing in Gibralta deserves an award for the funniest bit of writing ever.

Edited by colin

I've discovered a fantastic polish war correspondent stationed in a range of developing countries between the 1950's and early 1990's. He's called Ryszard Kapuscinski. I've read two of his books recently. 'The Shadow of the Sun' tells of his years in Africa reporting on various wars of independence and then the fall-out of colonialism that we can still see now in Africa. I'd really recommend it. I've just finished his book, 'The Soccer War' which is notes of his various adventures. It also tells the unbelievable story of his involvement in the war between El Salvador and Honduras in1969 over two games of footie.

Sticking on the theme of war and its aftermath, I also really enjoyed the Bookseller of Kabul, although I was initially put off as it had a Richard and Judy's bookclub sticker on its cover.

The best fiction I've read of late is Cormac McCarthy's 'Border Trilogy'. Three wonderfully atmospheric and tragic novels about 'cowboys' crossing the US/ Mexican border in the 1940's as the whole cowboy way of life was ending.

Next on my list is the Andrew Collins book on being a student in the 1980's that Rosie recommends.

The great playwright Arthur Miller sadly died a few days ago

I did not know that.

I went to see A View From the Bridge last year at the REP in birmingham. Quite enjoyed it as I had read the play a few times when I was a kid.

i havnt checked the whole thread but i noticed Michael Moores been mentioned a few times - Id recommend 'Downsize This' above 'Stupid White Men' , especially for holiday reading - its more like a collection of essays than a book. My favourite has got to be 'why doesnt GM sell crack?'.

Anyone interested in Michael Moore should check the following:

Naomi Klein - No Logo

Noreena Hertz - The Silent Takeover

George Monbiot - Captive State (from a brits point of view as well!)

Jim Rogers - Adventure Capitalist (not quite the same lines but opened my eyes to American companies actions in Africa and some aspects of the new Russian elite)

Rather against the theme of the thread....sorry

"Naughty" by Mark Chester. A self confessed football hooligan who followed Stoke City back in the bad old days.

I got it from the library to see if it shed any light on anything and it didn't.

It is a pile of bilge. Avoid like the plague.

Anything by Pete McCarthy. I'm just re-reading his "McCarthy's Bar," a recollection of his travels round Ireland."

There's also a book of his (I cant remember the title) which describes his journies to the four ends of the globe looking for other McCarthys (NZ/Alaska/ Ireland/ Morocco.) A darn good read and his description of an aborted plane landing  in Gibralta deserves an award for the funniest bit of writing ever.

Pete McCarthy was a classmate and friend of my mum's at Leicester Uni (he was Robinson then) back in the, erm...whenever my mum went to university.

Unfortunately he died a couple of months ago. It came as a great shock, apparently he had been ill for a long time. It was reported in the Guardian's obituaries if I remember correctly.

I agree, both of his books are hilarious reads. The lurching from bizarre episode to the next was probably embellished, yet it's damn funny.

Edited by Rovermatt

There's also a book of his (I cant remember the title) which describes his journies to the four ends of the globe looking for other McCarthys (NZ/Alaska/ Ireland/ Morocco.) A darn good read and his description of an aborted plane landing  in Gibralta deserves an award for the funniest bit of writing ever.

I agree, both of his books are hilarious reads. The lurching from bizarre episode to the next was probably embellished, yet it's damn funny.

Have to agree with colin and Rovermatt, McCarthy's books were well written, very funny and helped pass some long whilst hours stuck on planes and trains on my travels. Shame to hear he's passed away...

Started reading some Bill Bryson books, who writes very much in the same style, but perhaps isn't as funny. Recently finished 'Down Under', a journal of his adventures around the lesser known areas of Austrailia, and currently getting stuck into 'The Lost Continent', where he tries to find the 'perfect' old style Amercian town. Bryson seems to get quite alot of local history into his work, so it's quite intersting. Might check out Friarsnig's recommendation above.

I book I can highly advise people to stay away from is the Mick Quinn biography 'Who Ate All The Pies?' Bought this on a whim in Manchester Airport and left it in a hotel bin in Osaka a week or so later. Absolute drivel of the highest order. I deserved every minute of it, though, what was I thinking of???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.