BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Decent holiday reads anyone?

FourLaneBlue

A friend's sister was reading that. She said it was good so far, but would wait to see if it could sustain an entire book.

For lovers of hard-boiled detective fiction, I'd recommend Steve Hamilton. He has a new one out which is pretty good (not his best, but even not his best is good). Also would recommend Walter Mosley. Looking forward to reading his new one, which critics are saying is his best yet. If that's the case, then it will be one of the best 3 books I've ever read, as one of his others is currently #3 on my list.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the uneducated among us............

Maybe it should be in the posting guidelines that all new members have to read the above book biggrin.gif

I'm sure it's one of Lynn Trusse favourites, i'm currently reading Freaky Dancin' : Me and the Mondays by Bez. It's entertaining and pretty funny in places although he could have done with a copy of eats, shoots and leaves before writing it!!

I'm currently reading Lynn Trusse - Eats, shoots and leaves. A very impressive rant about the decline in punctuation. It might sound dull, but it is very well written and is extremely entertaining.

Many on here could benefit from it!

Well said that man as they are sentiments I can heartily endorse.

Having recently read Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brien I can recommend it as a good yarn that'll keep you interested. For those familiar with the recent (and excellent film) it's the same characters but is set at a much earlier time in their adventures. The only drawback is the action (or lack of it) set on shore as it can drag a bit. Read it and you'll discover what a topgallant is and you'll find yourself saying "if you please, sir" in no time. Forget all that Tom Clancy crap, this is what a real war book is about.

I also read Emperor: Gates Of Rome (Conn Iggulden) relatively recently. Ideal reading on holiday and a good way of dipping your toe in the Roman world, but about as historically accurate as Carry On Up The Khyber. Very entertaining though in a no-brainer type way.

Currently reading Star Of The Sea by Joseph O'Connor and the encouraging reviews that adorn the cover are thoroughly deserved. Absolutely superb and I can't recommend it enough. It's set against the backdrop of the Irish potato famine (not a subject I would normally opt to read) and follows a group of very different people as they sail west to a new life in America. Among the passengers are a couple of aristocrats, a dodgy journalist, the soft-hearted captain, a clergyman, lots of poor souls in steerage class... oh, and a knife wielding lunatic with a massive score to settle. Buy, beg, borrow or steal it.

Next to be read is The Legate's Daughter by the incomparable Wallace Breem (see earlier gushing recommendations by C Sidders Esq in earlier pages) which took a bit to track down but good old Amazon.co.uk came up trumps again.

Why don't we have more threads like this?

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

dont know if its been mentioned recently but its an interesting read, im currently half way through. It gets complicated in some parts but it worth a look

my holiday book, which im planning on reading while im away is fast food nation

oh and i agree about the beach , ive read it twice while on holiday (different times mind)

I know it's a typical airport booklist, but sat in my bag ready to travel with me to Turkey on Saturday are.

Stupid White Men - Micheal Moore

Dude, Where's My Country - Michael Moore

Googlewhacking - Dave Gorman

The latest Terry Pratchett paperback

Dope Stories - Howard Marks.

A Short History of Nearly Everything - Bill Bryson

dont know if its been mentioned recently but its an interesting read, im currently half way through. It gets complicated in some parts but it worth a look

ITs a brilliant book - although most of his travelogues are worth a read

Any terry pratchet book

Lee Childs a good holiday read, as is Kyle Mils, if you want a thriller Michael Marshall is very good, as is Jeffery Deaver.

Stephen Kings Gunslinger series is worth a trawl through - The Gunslinger is hard work the others are brilliant though.

Simon Scarrow's Eagle books are a damn enjoyable read as are Nelson DeMile's books

AAAAAAARGH!!! mad.gif

Ahem, anyway, following on from reading Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card (and not quite seeing what all the fuss was about) I read the next in the series, Red Prophet, which was a much more complete and enjoyable book with a particular chapter that's possibly the best 21 pages I've ever read.

AAAAAAARGH!!! mad.gif

Ahem, anyway, following on from reading Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card (and not quite seeing what all the fuss was about) I read the next in the series, Red Prophet, which was a much more complete and enjoyable book with a particular chapter that's possibly the best 21 pages I've ever read.

I ignored the hype for soooo long, but watched bowling for colubine the other day for the first time and decided that whilst I may not agree with everything he's saying, he does present it in an intresting way.

I know it's a typical airport booklist, but sat in my bag ready to travel with me to Turkey on Saturday

Sh!t, who we playing??

I used to read loads (TV hadn't reached North Lancs in the mid-80s, well not our house anyway) but these days only when travelling or on holiday.

Recent splurge on holiday in May concentrated around football - The Football Factory and England Away (John King), Niall Quinn's autobiography, When The Kids are United (Tony Hill) and something else which has returned to the person I borrowed it from and can't even remember what it was.

Quinny's book was first class.

Quinny's book was first class.

I'll second that, it's a really good read and set out so well.

A lot different from the usual: "In 1986 I moved to *******", the next year I won a medal....."

If it's decent footy books then Cascasrino's 'Full Time' takes some beating. So different from the usual biography and really interesting.

Yeah Cascarino's is the best football book I've ever read, maybe slightly biased because I worked in Nancy (Fr) and lived down the road from his flat so empathised with much of what he wrote about the place! He ended up with freedom of the city though, not sure why I didn't ...

The worst football book I've read is the Shearer effort when he talks about creasoting the garden fence. It's in large print, primary school language ... I started reading it (thankfully borrowed not bought) on a flight to Hong Kong as it taxied at Heathrow, by the time we flew over Amsterdam I'd finished the flippin thing.

<font color='#0000FF'>I read Niall Quinn`s autobiography, quite good.

tinykit.gif</font>

Told you so. tongue.gif

I thought when reading Quinn’s autobiography, that it had humour, with good writing yet and good honest view of everything, so it seemed.

Quinn’s account of the Keane/McCarthy incidents in Saipan (I think) was fascinating to read, especially since Quinn was regarded as one of the mature members of the Ireland Squad.

I’ve just started reading, The White Sea-Bird, by David Beaty, quite good so far.

The worst football book I've read is the Shearer effort...

I've never read that one, but I reckon it'll have to go a long way to be worse than Frank Worthington's effort. I can't remember the title and I gave up on it about two thirds through. What a pompous, self-serving idiot. And that was in his own words.

As for the best, no doubt for me: Stanley Matthews' autobiography.

For too many reasons to mention. I could mention a number of current day footballers who should be beaten about the head with it and then given a little piece of paper with a rectangle cut out of the middle so that they can read it one word at a time.

The worst football book I've read is the Shearer effort when he talks about creasoting the garden fence. It's in large print, primary school language ... I started reading it (thankfully borrowed not bought) on a flight to Hong Kong as it taxied at Heathrow, by the time we flew over Amsterdam I'd finished the flippin thing.

I wasnt overly impressed with Garners effort either, took about an hour maximum from start to finish.

I ignored the hype for soooo long, but watched bowling for colubine the other day for the first time and decided that whilst I may not agree with everything he's saying, he does present it in an intresting way.

READ THIS for the truth about the movie and how it was "creatively edited." You say presented in an interesting way, I say presented in a deceiving way.

If you really want decent Michael Moore see if his TV Nation series is available over there. He did one segment where they rented a house and did a bunch of suspicious things that a serial killer might do to see if any of the neighbors noticed. Hillarious.

I wasnt overly impressed with Garners effort either, took about an hour maximum from start to finish.

While I know he likes a smoke (what a character eh?!) I don't see why he has to mention it every couple of pages. It wasn't bad just a bit too slim for my liking.

Brian Clough's lateest autobiography 'Walking on Water' is a much more fulfilling read, even if the man does manage to talk a colossal load of crap at times in what he believes to be a return to common sense values. In reality most of the time he is just desperately attempting to be controversial. Not like any of the posters on here mind...

I'm currently reading Lynn Trusse - Eats, shoots and leaves. A very impressive rant about the decline in punctuation. It might sound dull, but it is very well written and is extremely entertaining.

Many on here could benefit from it!

In a similar vein is this book http://www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDynamic/F...ISBN=1740512065. It's about how corporate speak has taken over the World.

Although it's not really holiday reading.

• 3 weeks later...

READ THIS for the truth about the movie and how it was "creatively edited." You say presented in an interesting way, I say presented in a deceiving way.

Michael Moore continues to divide. While his documentary Farenheit 9/11 is easily the most succesful ever (it made more in its first weekend than any documentary had managed before in its entire cinema run) and passed the $100million dollar mark this weekend, a book entitled 'Michael Moore is a Big Fat Stupid White Man' was released in Britain. Ah well...you win some you lose some. From what I've managed to ascertain about Moore it isn't so much that he lies, more that he is the King of the Half-Truth and leaving things unmentioned. Bit like all politicans really I suppose.

One thing I do know about Moore though...he's laughing all the way to the bank. Bit like his enemies really!

Farenheit 9/11 came out a week ago over here, be interesting to hear the views of any who have seen it and can comment.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Big and fat he certainly is. Stupid? No. He knows there's an awful lot of pseudo-political types out there for him to exploit with his shamlessly slanted propaganda "documentaries", all eagerly queing up to hand him more publicity and money.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.