FourLaneBlue

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go wrong with Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Brilliant book

anything by Terry Pratchett based in the discworld is a good bet,

If you want a holiday book, try any of Lee Child's Reacher Novels, good action thrillers. Also Nelson DeMile is worth a look.

Who wrote Armageddon the Musical? - now theres a great book - Elvis Lives

Robert Rankin.

Top bloke as well, went for a few ales with him after his last Manchester book signing.

Armageddon the Musical, first book of the series try that and then carry on

The Antipope, East of Ealing, Brenford Triangle, or any of the 5 part Brentford Trilogy.

The armageddon series can be hard to read if you've not read any of his stuff before.

Those of you with a passion for Rankin and Pratchett should also try Tom Holt (well his humour stuff anyway) and Robert Asprin (his early stuff).

Other good holiday reads are general the stuff stocked by places like HMV (music bios, Howard Marks, Irvine Welch, Nick Hornby, Bill Bryson, Tony "Not The Skateboarder" Hawks, Dave Gorman etc). Easy enough to follow on a plane full of screaming kids, dull salesmen and dire inflight movies.

The Antipope, East of Ealing, Brenford Triangle, or any of the 5 part Brentford Trilogy.

The armageddon series can be hard to read if you've not read any of his stuff before.

On your recommendation...Just finished 'The Book of Ultimate Truths'- not bad at all. Liked the style but not amazing... still, I'll try one of the books you recommend next.

If you've not read Michael Moore's book yet, take it.  Other than that, Jeremy Paxman's book, "the English" is very entertaining.  Last year on holiday, I read both Chocky (John Wyndham) and How to be Good (Nick Hornby) in no time because they were compulsive and enjoyable reads.

Lucky you!  I love holiday reading.

Bought 'Stupid White Men' today on your advice- will let you know what I think when I finish it.  Am not going on holiday until July, so I think i'll have been through all the books by then... oh well....

Any book, actually better start with Gardens of the Moon or you won't have a clue what's happening, by Steven Erikson, so much better than any other author I still can't believe it.

Makes Tolkien look like a mere dabbler in the depth stakes mind, so not suited for the five-minute attention span MTV generation.

The Stand, by far King's best work, wonderful apocylaptic story.

Remix- Jon Courtenay Grimwood, short but good, probably not one for the kiddies mind.

Just back from Mallorca and read:

MacCarthy's Bar and The Road to MacCarthy - Pete MacCarthy - very funny and I recommend them if you're into Tony Hawks type books

After the Quake - Haruki Murakami

The Alchemist - Paulo Colio

In fact I would recommend them all as easy holiday reading and all of them different from each other

If you've not read Michael Moore's book yet, take it.  Other than that, Jeremy Paxman's book, "the English" is very entertaining.  Last year on holiday, I read both Chocky (John Wyndham) and How to be Good (Nick Hornby) in no time because they were compulsive and enjoyable reads.

Bought 'Stupid White Men' today on your advice- will let you know what I think when I finish it.  Am not going on holiday until July, so I think i'll have been through all the books by then... oh well....

Well. Just got back from Peru where I took with me 'Stupid White Men' by Michael Moore. Good stuff. Easy, enjoyable reading. In hindsight I wish I'd taken another book with me since I got through 'Stupid White Men' very quickly...

Well. Just got back from Peru where I took with me 'Stupid White Men' by Michael Moore. Good stuff. Easy, enjoyable reading. In hindsight I wish I'd taken another book with me since I got through 'Stupid White Men' very quickly...

Have to agree that it doesn't last you too long but a good laugh nonetheless.  May be an idea in the future for him to stick to American politics as his little section on Northern Ireland merely reveals his ignorance of the situation.

I read 'Waiting for Godalming' and enjoyed it.

Some while later I read 'Nostradamus ate my Hamster' and found it the strangest book I've ever read.

Then I read another one about Billy Barnes, can't remember the name.   That was very disturbing too (and not the Barnes web thing).   I've now given up on Rankin as being too weird.

Terry Pratchett is enjoyable and quite easy.   My favourites are the witches with the watch in a close second.

On a different note Ursula Le Guin is very good and thought provoking and Kim Stanley Robinson's "the years of rice and salt" is a must read if only to see how the author deals with the task of trying to construct an alternative history after Europe is wiped out by the Black Death.   IMO he does it very well.

Tarka, recommend any good books about Peru?

philipl, a bit of an open question there in my opinion...

If your question refers to books ABOUT Peru (history, politics, people, culture, etc) then I am clueless as to books on that subject.

However, if you are planning to travel to Peru then the Rough Guide book is fine. It also BRIEFS you on the history, politics, people and culture of Peru. Note however that the 'Rough' in 'Rough Guide' should be taken literally at times of travel.

In addition, before I went I did a lot of research on the 'net and I found web travelogs to be probably the most useful sources of information before journeying to Peru.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.