BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] So Just Where Are All The Ex-rovers?

on the plus side, he didn't break anyones legs today.

Lol. Who's leg did McEveley break recently? I'm sure it was a Villa or Sunderland player. And in the past he's broken the legs of Cisse, Delaney and Hakan Sukur (in training whilst at Rovers). Although, admittedly, all have been accidental and the Cisse one was even less than accidental - but the lad is clumsy.

I still cannot believe that Mark Hughes offered him a new contract. It just goes to show that Hughes has a far from infallible judgment.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still cannot believe that Mark Hughes offered him a new contract. It just goes to show that Hughes has a far from infallible judgment.

That is another not very smart observation.

Players out of contract sell for less than those in contract. Had Jay gone to Derby out of contract, we would have got £300K compensation max (remember we got him from Everton as a youth player so I don't know if even those rules apply in this case). As it is, adding the promotion bonus, Derby have paid about £1m for him and we probably have a sell-on clause for 25% of any transfer from Derby.

Jeffers scored to put Sheff Wed 2-1 up against Gallagher and Preston.

Good to see Jeffers back on the score sheet after so many injures.

Only 5 mins for Gallagher to bang in an equaliser!

Edit:

Maybe not, he just got replaced!

Edited by Tim Southampton Rover

Just about every North End fan I know said that we can have Gallagher back, cos he's not very good. Neither are the rest of the team, but that's not a good sign!

Which just goes to show that all managers make mistakes. Most people on here didn't think he was worth a new deal, for some strange reason, Hughes did.

Which just goes to show that all managers make mistakes. Most people on here didn't think he was worth a new deal, for some strange reason, Hughes did.

Rovers will be recovering a good proportion of his wages from Stoke last season and Preston this season. Let's say £250K isn't recovered, what would you think his transfer value would be even after his less than inspired appearance in a PNE outfit which is clearly falling apart? He has a full cap for Scotland remember and I'd be astonished if there wouldn't be a bunch of CCC clubs interested if he were offered at around £400K with Rovers paying the player £150K of that to adjust his wage down to CCC levels.

Gallagher is showing a worst case outcome (other than a long term injury) in being useless at PNE but from a financial perspective it looks a cash neutral decision to have extended his contract. Had he done as well as at Stoke or even improved during his spell at PNE, we would have been either quids in or got a very decent squad player.

It doesn't matter whether he has cost us next to nothing Philip. I was questioning Hughes judgement in this case. Gally wasn't and will never be, good enough for Prem/ championship football. There was absolutely no point keeping him at Ewood.

It doesn't matter whether he has cost us next to nothing Philip. I was questioning Hughes judgement in this case. Gally wasn't and will never be, good enough for Prem/ championship football. There was absolutely no point keeping him at Ewood.

Maybe not Premiership material but he certainly is Championship. He played really well for us while at stoke

Maybe not Premiership material but he certainly is Championship. He played really well for us while at stoke

The only thing I can say to that is, - if rovers were looking for players good enough to get us out of the championship and into the prem, I would pray that Gally wasn't one of them.

Quite agree. But he was on the books, local, wanted to stay and it was an almost risk free roll of the dice to renew the contract. Its not working in the sense that we are not gaining but Rovers are unlikely to lose.

Gally was good at Stoke bad at PNE. Derbs was not deemed good enough at Plymouth and scored a goal a game at Wrexham.

Edited by philipl

Just about every North End fan I know said that we can have Gallagher back, cos he's not very good. Neither are the rest of the team, but that's not a good sign!

thats a bit weird cas i live in preston and all the preston fans i speak to think hes a cut above the rest and wonder why we dnt keep him!!!

That is another not very smart observation.

Players out of contract sell for less than those in contract. Had Jay gone to Derby out of contract, we would have got £300K compensation max (remember we got him from Everton as a youth player so I don't know if even those rules apply in this case). As it is, adding the promotion bonus, Derby have paid about £1m for him and we probably have a sell-on clause for 25% of any transfer from Derby.

I think you're mistaken here. McEveley never accepted Hughes' contract renewal offer. We did not extract the money we did from Derby on the basis that he was contracted long-term to us. He turned down an offer in January and to avoid him leaving on a Bosman in the summer, the club cashed in.

By offering McEveley a new deal, I don't believe that Hughes was predominantly concerned with how much money we could earn from him (because Championship clubs were sniffing around) - rather, he believed that McEveley was deserving of a place in our squad.

I certainly think that Hughes, if he did think McEveley was good enough for Rovers, was wrong.

I have been a defender of Gallagher but all the evidence urges me to cease because the guy failed as a striker at Stoke and may do so again at Preston.

You are correct that he had not taken up the offer of a new contract. But rules for under 24 year old players on Bosmans means that compensation has to be paid if a contract has been offered.

Yes Rovers did sell whilst within the old contract period and have pulled in around £1m for Jay with the promotion bonus being paid.

I just want to make a comment about a phrase that is used very often by football fans, regarding players, and that is "'X' is not Premiership standard".

It's often said that a reserve player or youngster does not meet Premiership standards. But who is Premiership standard? Why should a reserve player have to meet this amorphous, malleable standard to be of use to Blackburn Rovers?

Martin Taylor, Jon Stead, Shefki Kuqi, Jon Douglas, Jay McEveley, Keith Gillespie, Paul Dickov, Nils Eric Johansson - could arguably be categorised as not Premiership standard. Even Aaron Mokoena could be called non-Prem standard because I cannot see him being good enough to get into the starting XI of any Premiership side - even Derby.

However, all these players contributed something useful to Rovers in times of strife or times of strength. Thus, I am suggesting that when you appraise a reserve player - or for that matter a new signing - you should not ask "is he Prem standard?," you should ask "will he bring anything useful to the squad and (in the case of a signing) is that benefit he brings worth the money expended on him?."

They may seem to be the same question but imo are importantly nuanced.

Edited by rover6

I just want to make a comment about a phrase that is used very often by football fans, regarding players, and that is "'X' is not Premiership standard".

It's often said that a reserve player or youngster does not meet Premiership standards. But who is Premiership standard? Why should a reserve player have to meet this amorphous, malleable standard to be of use to Blackburn Rovers?

Martin Taylor, Jon Stead, Shefki Kuqi, Jon Douglas, Jay McEveley, Keith Gillespie, Paul Dickov, Nils Eric Johansson - could arguably be categorised as not Premiership standard. Even Aaron Mokoena could be called non-Prem standard because I cannot see him being good enough to get into the starting XI of any Premiership side - even Derby.

However, all these players contributed something useful to Rovers in times of strife or times of strength. Thus, I am suggesting that when you appraise a reserve player - or for that matter a new signing - you should not ask "is he Prem standard?," you should ask "will he bring anything useful to the squad and (in the case of a signing) is that benefit he brings worth the money expended on him?."

They may seem to be the same question but imo are importantly nuanced.

Blummin eck Rover6!

Surely, for a player to be useful to the squad, he must be able to perform to a good level in the premier league, whenever called upon. That would make him premier league standard, - wouldn't it.

What are you trying to prove now? Lot's of us have said Gally [for instance] isn't premier league standard. He's played in the prem though, so do you reckon he's prem class, - or what?

Gally was good at Stoke bad at PNE. Derbs was not deemed good enough at Plymouth and scored a goal a game at Wrexham.

I noticed in the LT today that Gallagher is the target for a mystery championship club " and Hughes may decide to do business, knowing the 23 year old has now reached the point in his career where he needs regular first team football. Gallagher is still highly thought of by Rovers but Hughes knows he cannot guarantee the player a regular place in his side, which may lead to his departure later in the window."

Blummin eck Rover6!

Surely, for a player to be useful to the squad, he must be able to perform to a good level in the premier league, whenever called upon. That would make him premier league standard, - wouldn't it.

What are you trying to prove now? Lot's of us have said Gally [for instance] isn't premier league standard. He's played in the prem though, so do you reckon he's prem class, - or what?

I just think that the idea of a "Prem standard" is meaningless when used as a gauge to prejudge a player before he plays in the Premiership. Most Ipswich fans and Blackburn fans would've told you that Shefki Kuqi was not "Premiership standard" when he joined Rovers. And whilst his technique wasn't impressive, he made a useful contribution to Blackburn because of his brawn, workrate and pace.

Even now, I don't think anyone would say that Kuqi was "Prem standard", but I fully understand why Lawrie Sanchez signed him for Fulham.

If a player has one or two useful, rare attributes, they may still be of use to a team (even if only as a squad player) regardless of the fact every other aspect of their game is mediocre and most label them sub-Prem standard.

Edited by rover6

Just for the older posters who followed Rovers in the sixties and early seventies had the pleasure of meeting an ex Rover called Malcolm Darling on boxing day at a charity football match at Fenniscowles playing fields.

For those old enough to be interested, Malcolm is about to take over the running of Pleasington golf club bar facilities, he looked well and was looking forward to taking over at Plessy golf club.

Gary Stopforth who captained the Reserves a number of times is now at Clitheroe, along with Joel Byrom if this hasn't already been mentioned.

We could have kept those lads and pushed them into midfield against Bolton. They have all the credentials:

1] they're young

2]