I assume it's the same as the PS4 version, which is a port of the Steam version of the game. It's well worth the purchase, the x3 speed in particular makes parts of the game much easier to get through. Also being able to turn off random battles is a welcome relief when you just want to get through an area without stopping every five seconds to fight. 

Just now, DE. said:

I assume it's the same as the PS4 version, which is a port of the Steam version of the game. It's well worth the purchase, the x3 speed in particular makes parts of the game much easier to get through. Also being able to turn off random battles is a welcome relief when you just want to get through an area without stopping every five seconds to fight. 

I'm already playing it....

This pressing the right stick to give you full HP/MP and Limit Break is a bit naughty though.

12 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I'm already playing it....

This pressing the right stick to give you full HP/MP and Limit Break is a bit naughty though.

Haha, yeah, it basically breaks the game. On the other hand, if you saved a while back and don't really want to repeat the area all over again by dying in a battle... sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

It's amazing how some of the FMV's still hold up well even by today's standards. The opening FMV still gives me chills, and there are others throughout the game which still look great. Obviously some parts look really dated, but there's enough nostalgia there for me that I can pretty much ignore that.

The game is now 22 years old and yet none of the dated stuff bothers me like it does in other games.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already taken advantage of R3. Can't say I've ever left the reactor with Cross-Slash and Mindblow. Helps having some game mechanic knowledge mind you.

Which characters do you normally play through with? 

The obvious choice was always Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. 

I always liked the character of Vincent but his uncontrollable limit breaks pissed me off. I think his final form does a fire based attack which is great, unless your enemy is either resistant to or is healed by fire.

Yuffie was always my next choice and even though I have completed the game with Cid and Red, they were lesser used ones for me.

Ciat Sith was probably the rarest used. One of his limit breaks kills him (maybe everyone?) And he generally just looks weird. 

Edited by davulsukur

Just now, davulsukur said:

The game is now 22 years old and yet none of the dated stuff bothers me like it does in other games.

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't already taken advantage of R3. Can't say I've ever left the reactor with Cross-Slash and Mindblow. Helps having some game mechanic knowledge mind you.

Which characters do you normally play through with? 

The obvious choice was always Cloud, Barrett and Tifa. 

I always liked the character of Vincent but his uncontrollable limit breaks pissed me off. I think his final form does a fire based attack which is great, unless your enemy is either resistant to or is healed by fire.

Yuffie was always my next choice and even though I have completed the game with Cid and Red, they were lesser used ones for me.

Ciat Sith was probably the rarest used. One of his limit breaks kills him (maybe everyone?) And he generally just looks weird. 

Part of me wishes there was an option to turn off the R3 option when you start a game, just so the temptation isn't there! 

It's usually Cloud/Barrett/Tifa for me as well. Barrett pretty much always take number two slot - he's just hilarious as a character, and his limit breaks are awesome in terms of dealing damage. I'll sometimes go Red XIII or Cid in third slot too. I don't tend to use Yuffie, Vincent or Cait Sith much. As you say, Vincent's uncontrollable limit break can be pretty irritating. I just don't find the other two very interesting - Reeve as a character is cool, Cait Sith not so much. Feels like Cait Sith should maybe have been a non-playable character - I don't mind him being around but I never feel any need to select him to be in the party. 

It's a bit of a shame Aeris isn't around longer, as she's the only "white mage" type character. Nobody else really has the same impact, especially in the healer role. 

I also only realised in a recent playthrough how heavily the WEAPON monsters are influenced by the Godzilla franchise. When the first WEAPON emerges from the crater on Disc 2 it even does a Godzilla cry. As a kid I didn't really know anything about Japan and Godzilla, but now it's like, yeah, it's Japan... of course there are giant lizard monsters in there :lol:

Another thing that amazes me is how in almost every playthrough I find something I never noticed before. I've played through the game dozens of times over the years and only on my most recent run did I realise there's a computer in one of the houses in the Icicle town which has various cut-scenes with Professor Gast and Ilfana. There's also stuff like BugenHagen's final scene and the Cloud/Zack flashbacks in Nibelheim on Disc 3 which I hadn't caught on previous playthroughs. The amount of content across the game is truly incredible, especially considering the era the game was released in. 

Yer I noticed more and more on layer play throughs, those 2 examples were the same for me.

Might mix it up this time and try 2 characters a dont use often. 

Hell maybe even Cait Sith!

I really wish they would release a remastered version of FFVIII. The story makes absolutely no sense but I still love the overall feel of the game. I read that apparently it isn't so much reluctance as the fact the original code was somehow lost, making a conversion very difficult and time consuming. The original game is still perfectly playable (especially if you use an emulator) but I'd love to have it on the PS4.

I tried to play through 8 last year (I think) on an emulator but the Rom was broken and you couldn't progress past a certain point. 

Shame really, because I'd got quite far.

When I bought the original game, I remember thinking the gun blade was a really cool idea but I'm pretty sure the way they modelled it, a bullet couldn't actually be fired out of the barrel.

Edited by davulsukur

In fairness there were a lot of things in FF8 that in reality would not make any sense :lol: the major thing they would have to look at in a FF8 remaster is the magic system. if you draw enough magic from enemy you can essentially break the game by making yourself ridiculously powerful at very low levels, which makes the game super easy. Not sure exactly how they'd fix that (or if they'd just keep it as is) but once you understand how the junctioning dynamic works the game becomes almost impossible to lose.

Not sure any console will ever top my Amiga 500+ what a time to be alive 

3 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

If anyone is playing Division 2, I have created a clan (for PS4), it would be good to see some of you online!  Clan is imaginatively called "BRFCS".

Oh man, I loved the division but got frustrated at its repetativeness online and stopped playing a year or so ago. I played for a week or so a few a big update but had been left behind. Is it worth coming back to?

1 hour ago, J*B said:

Oh man, I loved the division but got frustrated at its repetativeness online and stopped playing a year or so ago. I played for a week or so a few a big update but had been left behind. Is it worth coming back to?

Division 2 is much better in that regard, there is still some repetitiveness but it is much better in that regard with more variety.  It improves on the first one in almost every area.

On 31/03/2019 at 23:28, Tom said:

Still have my Amiga 500, in fact a few years ago I even installed a new floppy drive as the old one wasn't working anymore. Was pretty cool opening it up and seeing what was inside. It was amazingly easy and cheap to find the replacement part on eBay too... possibly not so much these days.

I took the plunge and downloaded FF7. It looks great and I'm having a real nostalgia trip. I like ability to speed it up,not die and turn off battles. I ground through that game 3 times at over 300 hours on the PS1. Now I just want to enjoy the view. I'm still in Midgar, so early days. The soundtrack is the best in any game ever made for me. 

Also downloaded Persona 5 and Borderlands the handsome collection for a combined last night. Persona was €24.99 and Borderlands an absolute steal at €9.99. 

Sounds like you're in for a good time! Turning off random battles in FF7 is great when you just want to explore the area a bit and not enter a battle even five seconds. The only thing I found a little frustrating was how the pre-rendered backgrounds sometimes don't make it obvious where you can and can't go. There were a few occasions when I was constantly running at and against the background to work out where I could enter the next area, only to find it was a tiny space somewhere. Sometimes you have the arrows to help guide you, but only if you're exiting a screen. If you're on the same screen then it's just a case of trial and error. Also even with God mode on I still can't beat Ruby Weapon 🤣

You need to get on P5 ASAP big dogg. If you get into it then be prepared for it to take up a chunk of your life though.

• Like 1

Just purchased a 2nd hand PS Vita slim. I had been flirting with the idea for a while and managed to get one in excellent condition for €100 with Ninja gaiden. I have a load of PS plus games that are either just for the Vita or crossplay and I am looking forward to tackling these. The emulation capabilities are something I haven't looked into too much, but I am looking forward to doing so,. From my research the Vita is a serious bit of kit that just never really took off as much as it should. 

The Vita is a nice piece of kit, well worth getting with a lot of good games. I went a slightly different route and got a PSTV for about £40 as I don't really play games on the go, so I figured having a stationary Vita was fine. I mainly got it for Persona 4 Golden, though, as at the moment I believe having a Vita/PSTV is the only way to play it. I got a little way into it but not much further yet. 

11 hours ago, DE. said:

The Vita is a nice piece of kit, well worth getting with a lot of good games. I went a slightly different route and got a PSTV for about £40 as I don't really play games on the go, so I figured having a stationary Vita was fine. I mainly got it for Persona 4 Golden, though, as at the moment I believe having a Vita/PSTV is the only way to play it. I got a little way into it but not much further yet. 

Ya, I am thinking about playing that before starting 5

On 03/04/2019 at 15:24, Bigdoggsteel said:

I took the plunge and downloaded FF7. It looks great and I'm having a real nostalgia trip. I like ability to speed it up,not die and turn off battles. I ground through that game 3 times at over 300 hours on the PS1. Now I just want to enjoy the view. I'm still in Midgar, so early days. The soundtrack is the best in any game ever made for me. 

Also downloaded Persona 5 and Borderlands the handsome collection for a combined last night. Persona was €24.99 and Borderlands an absolute steal at €9.99. 

When that boss music came on for the first time........

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya, I am thinking about playing that before starting 5

Much like the FF series they're all standalone games, so you won't have a problem if you do start at 5. That said, the graphical downgrade from 5 to 4 is pretty brutal (4 was a PS2 game) so starting with 4 might be better. One of the biggest problems I had going from 5 to 4 was how primitive the former game looks. The graphics and art style in general on P5 are top notch.

1 hour ago, davulsukur said:

When that boss music came on for the first time........

Hoping the FF7 remake makes the music sound as epic as this B)

On 01/04/2019 at 06:28, Tom said:

Yup, I had the Amiga 500.

Shadow Beast, Wings, Lemmings, Turrican II, Speedball 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Stunt Car Racer, Populous, Supercars II, Flashback, and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 are just some of the awesome games I remember off the top of my head.

12 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yup, I had the Amiga 500.

Shadow Beast, Wings, Lemmings, Turrican II, Speedball 2, Sensible World of Soccer, Stunt Car Racer, Populous, Supercars II, Flashback, and Lotus Turbo Challenge 2 are just some of the awesome games I remember off the top of my head.

Loved Speedball 2. I think Jerome Anderson was the clubs agent in that , some dodgy looking characters. Although I wouldn't mind having a couple of them in defence this season 

speedball_2_brutal_deluxe_2.jpg

• Like 1

Just on FF7.

I've taken full advantage of the new "features" on the re-released versions and my 3 main characters are all at level 50, around 7500HP and 650+MP (thanks to some HP/MP plus Materia (maxed)) all with their Limit Breaks at level 3.

I've not closed out disc 1 yet...

(All in good prep for Emerald and Ruby)