BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benefit tv

Guest Norbert

I read in the Metro that there was a village in Essex that has turned down an Aldi, as they were too 'common'. A councillor went as far as saying that they were more of a Waitrose place. I forget the name of the town, but it was the same place where residents went mental after someone opened the first ever pub there a few years ago, comparing it to when the Luftwaffe bombed it.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I read in the Metro that there was a village in Essex that has turned down an Aldi, as they were too 'common'. A councillor went as far as saying that they were more of a Waitrose place. I forget the name of the town, but it was the same place where residents went mental after someone opened the first ever pub there a few years ago, comparing it to when the Luftwaffe bombed it.

Typical attitude of the middle class inhabitants of these leafy southern villages. Everywhere else is fit for industry, immigration, overpopulation etc. Nothing is fit for their village. No fracking, no outsiders protesting against fracking, no building houses, no building budget supermarkets. Dump all that elsewhere (especially up north) so they can live their insular, pristine little lives. I never had much against the inhabitants of such places until I started to realise the ferocity with which they protest against things that they're happy to support happening elsewhere. Nothing but contempt for them now.

One resident of Sussex actually said that fracking was OK "up north", presumbly because in his eyes the region is a dump anyway and the locals don't matter. The same attitude can be found in the Chilterns with the furore there over HS2 - not in their back yard and two fingers to the rest of the country.The problem is these areas are inhabited by some of the wealthiest and most powerful people in the country who tend to get what they want.

Waitrose - went to one in Stroud by mistake, BIG mistake.Only bought a few items and was lucky to get any change from a tenner.

MASSIVE in my view. Went to the one at the Capitol centre, Preston - used to be a good bowling alley - and could not believe the prices or the people for that matter! Won't be going back.

Went to Tesco last night and was surprised to discover the Polish section - misread it first time - which shows how long it is since we went there for food.

Always enjoy Booths, great cheeses, sometimes more interesting bread, good fish and very good for odd stuff no one else has.

I'm OK with supermarkets for non-food stuff but I'd much rather use Chorley market and the local farm shops. Buying and cooking is more interesting, tastes better and is cheaper.

MASSIVE in my view. Went to the one at the Capitol centre, Preston - used to be a good bowling alley - and could not believe the prices or the people for that matter! Won't be going back.

Went to Tesco last night and was surprised to discover the Polish section - misread it first time - which shows how long it is since we went there for food.

Always enjoy Booths, great cheeses, sometimes more interesting bread, good fish and very good for odd stuff no one else has.

I'm OK with supermarkets for non-food stuff but I'd much rather use Chorley market and the local farm shops. Buying and cooking is more interesting, tastes better and is cheaper.

You like Booths but not Waitrose?

Years ago 'er indoors' worked Saturdays and I used to shop in clitheroe. First stop Kwik Save for all the routine stuff. 30 mins in there and I struggled back to the car with about 30 quids worth of groceries in 5/6 really heavy carrier bags which were cutting into my fingers. Chucked em in the Boot and went into Booths.... out in 15 mins with two half full carrier bags of 'nice' stuff and approx 30 quid lighter too!

btw I find Waitrose very good for wine. Try the 'Waitrose' own label wines. Reasonably priced and Waitrose cannot afford to put their name to poor quality provisions. :tu:

btw 2 Paul...... have you gone to Pauls Farm Shop yet at the top end of Dunkirk Lane, Leyland? Best fruit and veg ever, cheap and they have a range of superb cheeses. My favourites currently is a split between a gritty Red Leicester and an amazing (creamy) Cheddar made locally called 'Kick Ass strong".

Guest Norbert

I normally use a fairly large Indian shop for most fruit and veg. Only round the corner and is usually good enough quality. And obviously good value for your spices,nuts etc.

• Backroom

Popped into town this morning to take the nipper to waves (sad that it's going its shabby but still fun) nice bonus to have the multistory next door free on a Saturday

I normally use a fairly large Indian shop for most fruit and veg. Only round the corner and is usually good enough quality. And obviously good value for your spices,nuts etc.

I do occasionally but when buying from such it's best to buy small quantities cos I found it's usually on the end of it's sell by date. Spices are cheap as chips compared to the supermarkets.

You like Booths but not Waitrose?

wines. Reasonably priced and Waitrose cannot afford to put their name to poor quality provisions. :tu:

I wouldn't use either for toilet roll or washing powder however.....

On the one hand we have Booths owned and run by five generations over 160 years with 30 stores and today focusing very clearly on local producers, especially from Lancashire and the wider Northwest, and offering very high quality. In our local branch I can discuss the fish, meat, cheese and wine with people who know their department. The store manager once recommended a bottle of red and I said I'd be back if it was no good. He said he would refund it. I went back and bought a case.

Then we have Waitrose, a national chain with 300 branches which manages to give the impression it's selling at high prices based on its name. Best thing about Waitrose is one can buy online from John Lewis and collect from the nearest Wait rose..

To borrow a phrase - taste the difference. I'm surprised you aren't aware of the significant difference between the businesses.

Archived