BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Australia V Norway

emerton

Socceroos squad is:

Marco Bresciano (Parma, Italy), Tim Cahill (Everton, England), Scott Chipperfield (Basel, Switzerland), Ahmad Elrich (Busan I'Cons, Korea), Brett Emerton (Blackburn Rovers, England), Vince Grella (Parma, Italy), Zeljko Kalac (Perugia, Italy), Harry Kewell (Liverpool, England), Steve Laybutt (KAA Ghent, Belgium), Stan Lazaridis (Birmingham City, England), Jonathan McKain (National Bucuresti, Romania), Kevin Muscat (Millwall, England), Lucas Neill (Blackburn Rovers, England), Tony Popovic (Crystal Palace, England), Mark Schwarzer (Middlesbrough, England), Josip Skoko (Genclerbirligi, Turkey), Mile Sterjovski (Basel, Switzerland), Danny Tiatto (Leicester City, England), Tony Vidmar (Cardiff City, Wales), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough, England)

Norway squad is:

André Bergdølmo (Borussia Dortmund, Germany), John Carew (Besiktas, Turkey), Erik Hagen (Vålerenga, Norway), Jon Inge Høiland (Malmø FF, Sweden), Magne Hoset (København, Denmark), Steffen Iversen (Vålerenga, Norway), Espen Johnsen (Rosenborg, Norway), Azar Karadas (Benfica, Portugal), Tommy Svindal Larsen (Nürnberg, Germany), Claus Lundekvam (Southampton, England), Thomas Myhre (Sunderland, England), Alexander Ødegaard (Sogndal, Norway), Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn, England), John Arne Riise (Liverpool, England), Sigurd Rushfeldt (Austria Wien, Austria), Jan Gunnar Solli (Rosenborg, Norway), Ragnvald Soma (Brann, Norway), Bengt Sæternes (Brann, Norway)

I expect Australia to line up as

-------------------Schwarzer

Neill---------Popovic-----Vidmar-------Lazaridis

-------Bresciano----Grella-------Cahill

Emerton-----------Viduka-----------------Kewell

With the players to look out for being Bresciano and possibly Elrich, who will come on in the second half for Emo

I think Australia should win, but Norway have a bit of talent there (hopefully Morten starts) so it will be close

3-2 to Australia i think

Edited by emerton

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Emerton has usually played further back. This has, however, usually means that he doesn't come as far forward because Kewell has a free role and tends to drift across, restricting Emos runs. If Kewell gets taken off, watch the difference in Emos style.

Players I would look for are Bresciano and Grella.

Hard to tell whether Hareide will start with Gamst or not, his lack of match practise is not helping.. he was one of our best men in his last match though, I think he'll be starting as the left midfielder.

Btw, Rushfeldt (Austria Wien) and Solli (Rosenborg) has been withdrawn from the squad due to injury. They will be replaced with the Vålerenga duo Ardian Gashi and Thomas Holm. smile.gif

If MGP has a stormer of a game, the pressure will be there to pick him, maybe. Let's just hope if he does get picked he'll play better than last time he was picked. Funny how this is all a big conspiracy and has nothing to do with the fact he played like crap when he had his chance.

the fact is that the last game he played was for Norway. In that game he was great. After that he hasn't played a single game as I know off. That makes me believe that it doesn't matter how he does for Norway against Australia. He is not going to be picked based on international games, but how well he play during training.

Looking forward to see him play for Norway. With the great form Riise have shown the last games I think Norway will have a great left side in this game.

Hughes must be crapping himself about this one. If MGP has a stormer of a game he'll be under pressure to pick him and that would spell an end to his bid to avoid the appearance fee.

Aye.

Would be well funny if Morten has a stormer (as last match) and with the fact that REID sucked yesterday. If Hughes treated them equally, Reid would be benched after one bad match, as Morten was.

Actually - the last match played for Rovers he scored. The last match he played for Norway - he was very very good.

And no, no appearance fees comes after 4 matches. But maybe 10, maybe 15, maybe 25.

But the fact to the matter is, if Morten gets a chance, and plays very well, Hughes will actually be forced (more than now) to play him more. The money he will have to pay to Tromso is probably money he can use for christmas-shopping.

I see NO OTHER reason to why he does not get a chance.

PS. Stig Inge Bjørnebye (norwegian asst. manager) is flying in to talk to Hughes about Morten in the end of this month. We're not the only one surprised.

Are you still here? What happenned to "your ##### manager can burn in hell I'll be laughing when your ##### club goes down and my beautiful Morten can get the move he deserves yadayadayada"?

rover6, change the record mate. Isn't it about time you started on a new crusade? Maybe you could try your hand at introducing Christianity to the Middle East or something?

Edited by Radagast

Hughes must be crapping himself about this one. If MGP has a stormer of a game he'll be under pressure to pick him and that would spell an end to his bid to avoid the appearance fee.

Aye.

Would be well funny if Morten has a stormer (as last match) and with the fact that REID sucked yesterday. If Hughes treated them equally, Reid would be benched after one bad match, as Morten was.

Actually - the last match played for Rovers he scored. The last match he played for Norway - he was very very good.

And no, no appearance fees comes after 4 matches. But maybe 10, maybe 15, maybe 25.

But the fact to the matter is, if Morten gets a chance, and plays very well, Hughes will actually be forced (more than now) to play him more. The money he will have to pay to Tromso is probably money he can use for christmas-shopping.

I see NO OTHER reason to why he does not get a chance.

PS. Stig Inge Bjørnebye (norwegian asst. manager) is flying in to talk to Hughes about Morten in the end of this month. We're not the only one surprised.

###### of mate- Go make babies with Morten Pedersen if you love him so much.

Face it, the guy is pants as the moment, he aint good enough for the premiership.

Oooow, one of the clubs worst left backs ever Stig Inge Bjørnebye is coming to have word with sparky. Because stig really does know a good player when he see's one.

Australia 0

Norway 3

Sorry lads, but we are way too strong for you atm! cool.gif

laugh.gif

We will see, But i think Bresciano will be too strong in the midfield, im looking forward to Riise, Pederson, Emerton, Neil clash though.

Carew ---- Karadas

or

Carew ------ Iversen

Against:

Popovic-----Vidmar

who?

laugh.giflaugh.gif

I expect Australia to line up as

-------------------Schwarzer

Neill---------Popovic-----Vidmar-------Lazaridis

-------Bresciano----Grella-------Cahill

Emerton-----------Viduka-----------------Kewell

It is alright playing 4-3-3 against the Solomon Islands but against a European team Farina will revert to 4-4-2

Bresciano will be on the left with Cahill and Grella in the guts. As silly as it is, you know he is going to push Kewell up front with Viduka

Does Emerton usually play that so far forward for Australia? It almost looks like he is a third striker rather than a winger. Has he been succesful in that position?

Emerton usually plays on the right side of midfield in a 4-4-2 position.

But against the national might of the Solomon Islands, Frank Farina decided to play a 4-3-3 formation and it worked well.

Vince Grella is a contempory of Kewell and Emerton. He has been a 'late bloomer', but after a good season with Empoli a few seasons ago, has started to turn some heads. Apparently AC Milan were interested in him... but he's ended up at Parma.

I last saw Grella play against Turkey in Melbourne, and he was the best player on the pitch by a mile. He put in an almost 'Tugay-esque' performance... and this is the Tugay of a few seasons ago. He sat deep in midfield as a tough tackler.. but would unleash some 20-30 yard passes that had to be seen to be believed.

If Grella and Bresciano play well, Australia will dominate the midfield and Norway will struggle.

Isn't it nice to have a team that have to doesn't rely on Harry Kewell cool.gif

My strongest Aussie XI would be :

Schwarzer

Neil           Moore       Popovic      Lazaridis
                 Grella
Emerton         Cahill         Bresciano
                         Kewell
                    Viduka

That's a 4-4-2 with Grella as the defensive midfielder, and with Kewell playing off Viduka's shoulder.

Kewell can play well up front next to Viduka (as was shown in the England game), it all depends on how they get the ball to him. Kewell with his back to goal is useless... that isn't his strength. But get the ball to his feet and let him run at goal... and he's one of the best in the world....

....when he can be bothered dry.gif

Edited by pg

Australia 0

Norway 3

Sorry lads, but we are way too strong for you atm! cool.gif

hahaha....I remember before England played Australia everyone on this board was predicting 0-5 victories for England (except for the Australians) and boy didn't those prediction come back to haunt them (3-1 anyone?). In some ways, such as administration and support for the national competition, Australia is a football backwater but when it comes to the talent available to the national squad we are *very* competitive.

Australia 2-1 Norway

Emerton Someoneson

Grella

PS For those that haven't seen them play keep an eye on Grella And Bresciano. Both are very talented Mids.

Edited by samtheozzy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.