• MGP
    • Short
    • Thompson
    • Grooby
    • None it should be a communal effort
    • Jan

This poll is closed to new votes

Todd....or Savage (if he ever arrives?)

If pushed....and with no disrespect towards Todd......i'd go for Savage due to experience....Todd has enough to do sorting out the defense without having to worry about what's happening further up the pitch

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the risk of agreeing with Theno, there's only going to be one choice as captain and that's Savage. Whether he gets the armband straight away is open to question but I guarantee he'll be made captain before the start of next season.

leads by example but very quiet vocally...

Are you taking the ######? blink.gif

Todd's been organising the back 4 lately and is one of the few who dares stand up to Brad's (often wrong) opinions.

Should have made myself more clear on that bit...I mean as a person, he always seems very quitely spoken when I've heard him on interviews, not the sort of person who will rally everyone.

It's just the impression I get from seeing him, he will lead the back line whether he's captain or not...does he have the personality to do the rest of the jobs a captain has to do though? There's a lot of media interaction involved, Thommo and Savage have always looked very comfortable with this side and both seem to have big personalities.

I could be doing Todd an injustice though, I admit that.

Edit: Decided to vote Thommo by the way.

Edited by LeChuck

Okay, I understand the idea of not wanting a keeper as capt. to ensure you have a player in the middle of the field to organize, but its been commented that even when Baby Barry had the armbanmd recently that Todd and Flitty were more vocal.

With Nelsen, Mokoena,Todd, Flitty, and likely Savage all with outfield Capitan experience, is it really needed for this group to have the armband out there, I don't see where rewarding Brad for his service would be so catastrophic to the side??

But then again, maybe that's why I'm so easy to laugh at! biggrin.gif

I voted for Todd. If Shorty was a few years younger he would've got the nod, but as it is, lets just say the candidates arent too inspiring. The other main candidate Flitty would be lucky to get on the pitch at the end of the day. Or any other time for that matter but thats is beside the point.

For me it's Todd. I can really see him as a player that can influence the entire team - partly because of his consistently good performances, but mainly because I think he has the authority to command respect and command the team.

Thompson is a player I believe the team would respect but he is only just back from injury and needs time to settle before such a huge responsibility. Still, I'm quite suprised that he's only received 3 votes.

Savage would also be in contention and is obviously a favourite of Hughes, but he hasn't even joined the club yet. He needs time to fit in, get to know the players and prove to them that he isn't just a journeyman.

Mokeona and Nelsen fall into a similar catagory as Savage but have the edge being international captains.

Edited by tcj_jones

I`m a firm beleiver in committees. Every thing a captain does, a team of at least 6 players meet, have an agenda, take minutes and vote on the outcome of any decision then inform the ref either heads or tails and take it from there.

So the poll really should be..

"Which SIX players would you want on the Committee?"

1 AndyTodd

2 Craig Short

3 Paul Dickov

4 Brad Freidel

5 Lee Grooby

6 Neil Kinnock

7 Nai Bevan

8 Pitt The Younger

9 Pitt The Older

10 Pitt The Dingle

11 Pat The Butcher (AKA Colin Hendry)

12 Spit The Dog

13 Micky Quinn

14 Sweet Gene Vincent

15 Lord `Your Boys Took One Hell Of a Beating`Beaverbrook

16 Ernst And Julio Gallo

17 Henson And Bedges

18 The Great Cheese God

19 Matthew Hoggard

20 Wandering Luxemburgo

21 Andy Todd

?

I've been extremely impressed with Mokoena in interviews, seems very approachable and dignified and we know he has leadership qualities.

Probably a bit too early for him but could very well be our own Radebe in a few years time

Mokoena did say on RadioRovers after the Charlton game that his role model to succeed in football is Radebe and hopes he can do just as well as Radebe did in English football.

Personally, I'd give it to Todd. I've noticed a big difference in Todd since Hughes became manager. Todd, still has the aggression in him that we all love but, to me, now it's controlled agressions. At Portsmouth on Saturday, a year ago Lua Lua may have done what he did, Todd may have flattened him.

He's played consistantly well this season and deserves his new contract and maybe more.

Never been THIS influential in a poll before!!

19:48 - Shouldn't we have a poll asks Colin?

21:40 - Poll up and running says Flopsy.

Never been THIS influencial in starting a poll before. Must be those polaroids of Flopsy & the goat that I received in the post rolleyes.gif

Never been THIS influential in a poll before!!

19:48 - Shouldn't we have a poll asks Colin?

21:40 - Poll up and running says Flopsy.

Never been THIS influencial in starting a poll before. Must be those polaroids of Flopsy & the goat that I received in the post rolleyes.gif

C'mon Colin she loves herself... somebody has too! wink.gif

A keeper as Captain???

NO NO NO NO

Im sorry it would never work, your captain needs to be able to move round the pitch - its better as a midfielder or defender

It's worked before, most notably when Dino Zoff captained Italy to the World Cup from between the sticks even though he was about 84 or something silly at the time.

Even so, I'd also prefer the someone to have the extra little bit of authority on the pitch to not be the goalkeeper. I'd go for Todd until the end of the season then decide who of Todd/Mokoena/Nelsen/Savage etc would be the best long-term option.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.