BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton Game 0-1

Scotty

Hey buddy, could you please take your illiterate txt spk back to the Birmingham boards. We are ###### off and not interested in the opinions of a 13 year old ######-stirrer

firstly i am not 13

secondly i am post graduate studing Meng in network engineering

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well a game with 0-0 written all over it turned into a Bolton win through a disgusting bit of cheating from spitface. Anyhow, this is what I thought of the game...

The game opened and immediately Savage committed a poor foul which should have been a yellow card, but thankfully wasn't. At least what we could see from Savage in the opening of the game and, infact, throughout was 100% commitment, running and tackling - he was clearly up for his debut.

Bolton followed by sustaining pressure on Blackburn for the first 15-20 minutes, which didn't result in anything dangerous, thanks mainly to superb commanding defending from Todd. Throughout this period players like Pedersen, Emerton and Thompson were completely bypassed with a ridiculous long ball tactic aimed at Gallagher and Bothroyd, the latter of which was woeful, showing no strength and falling over all the time. However, as we started to dominate, Gallagher showed some promising link play with midfield and would have been more effective with a half decent partner. What has happened to Bothroyd, I do not know. Through out domination, Pedersen was at the heart of everything creative, with clever flicks, good vision, good corners and two excellent free kicks - unfortunately we didn't have any players willing to go for the ball.

This led to a really well worked chance with good interplay by Emerton, Gallagher and Neill who ended the play with a good shot tipped round the post. The resulting corner displayed an interesting tactic of blocking the keeper and crowing the six yard box. Unfortunately it didn't work at all.

In a very static half, Thompson otherwise made two good runs, but was all too often bypassed by the long ball from defense and couldn't stamp his mark on the game. Savage was doing the graft but we had no creativity - we needed Ferguson tonight. Also, Mokoena looked very edgy with a few bad headers. Neill made some promising runs and had a good half, Savage was doing a good job in midfield, Matteo was 50/50 andBothroyd was absolutely poor.

In the second half Rovers were the better team throughout, Bolton not managing to get a single shot on target. The half opened with Blackburn pressure but no end product - Pedersen continued to give his all and certainly looked stronger to me (from memory, hepushed a bolton player at the bi-line and got up from a heavy elbow to the face). However, he was forced to come in centrally a lot due to poor serve from the rest of midfield and looked to get hold of the ball - something Bothroyd, Thompson and Emerton didn't appear to do so.

The half continued in the same vane until Johnson and Stead came on in place of Gallagher and Bothroyd. Gallagher had been linking well and could have been quite effective with Stead, but wholescale changes were made. Stead looked promising - two awful pieces of control were followed by some very intelligent runs and roles in attacking plays. During this period, Rovers worked one especially good play in which Stead made an excellent run but the ball to him was too short - his resultant pass to Johnson put his in a good position but his ball accross the six yard box was cut out by the keeper.

In a game where neither team could get the ball to the attackers, the game looked all set for 0-0 and both teams were setting themselves up for this, until Diouf was played through in the box. He turned Matteo very well who was caught sluggish, played it past Friedel, the ball looking to go out of play. He stepped past Freidel and proceded to dive about a foot and half in the air in a ridiculous dive which the ref. fell for, although I'll admit that from his angle it looked like a penalty. What made it worse was that Freidel made a great save from the penalty but the ball fell right infront of Diouf who proceded to celebrate infront of the fans - sickening.

We tried to press forward but we just did not have an effective attack and the midfield were just not stamping the authority we needed. No creativity meant Pedersen was made to come in centrally and nothing was created. Otherwise, a legitimate penalty claim from Bolton for handball against Neill wasn't given and it was a very difficult decision; it appeared as though he was protecting his face, but his arms were up well before the ball was played.

The game finished 1-0.

Freidel - Nothing to do but the penalty save. Gathered a cross, didn't come to collect a ball on the edge of the area - cancelled each other out. Great penalty save and gutted by the rebound - 7

Neill - Good alround game working well down the right and coming in centrally in midfield to actually offer some creativity - 7

Matteo - Some poor moments and some good moments. Turned too easily by Diouf - 5

Todd - Rock solid, made one mistake all match which was a free kick in the opposition's half. He is far and away the best player in this team - 8

Mokoena - This guy looked edgy from the start and just could not get any power on defensive headers. Almost caught out by Davies in what was a very good opportuinity wasted - 5

Emerton - Anonymous for much of the game, but what he did he did well and showed the confidence to run at the opposition - 6

Pedersen - Very promising performance tonight. All the creativity in midfield in the first half came from him. He drifted centrally too much in the second half looking for the ball due to poor service and didn't actually look a bad striker. He also looked a bit stronger and ready to through himself about and into people - 7

Thompson - Not ready for anything like captaincy. He was anonymous for most of the game, party because he was not given the ball and partly because he did not go to get it - 5

Savage - Grafted well and was the only bit of bite in our midfield. Played well in a good debut - 6

Gallagher - Good link play but no servie and a poor attacking partner did not help - 6

Bothroyd - Useless, absolutely useless. He looked so promising earlier in the season and now he's just nothing. Fell over every time he got the ball. One great moment of trickery aside, he was by far the worst player on the pitch. For a man of his build he couldn't win a header to save his life - 3

Stead - a promising appearance. Made a few good runs after a rocky start - 7

Johnson - Must have got the ball all of two times. Cannot judge him on that.

If you are a post-graduate student and you write like that you must attend the lamest joke of a university in the whole UK. Seriously, are you sure you didn't just send away for one of those diplomas that are advertised in junk emails? If you're not 13 your writing age certainly is.

Why do we need the @#/? Dickov? 7 Goals all season from a player whos our number 1 striker is pretty damm poor, your all acting as if Dickov is a top striker. Our entire strike force is Division one standard fact.

@#/? as he may be (disagree with that, myself), Mr Dickov stands head and shoulders above anyone else on the playing staff who has the nerve to describe themselves as a striker.

i thought the referee had a good game, and made only 1 wrong call, which unfortunately cost us the game.

The referee had already screwed up the first major decision of the evening before he awarded the penalty; the challenge from Nolan on Savage was x-rated and clearly warranted a red card.

Friedel- Unlucky with the penalty not really much else to do

Neill- Needs to be challenge for the RB spot he just doesn't look good going forward and Hughes should give Nelson a chance.

Matteo- We must have a better player to put in the left back position, this guy is not a left back.

Todd- Another good solid performance

Mokenoa- Worked well in defence

Savage- Played well although maybe lacked some fitness

Thompson- Not a central midfield player but did his best

Emerton- Good in spells and made some good runs

Pedersen- Did'nt live upto his previous games but worked hard.

Bothroyd- Has to learn to stay on his feet I thought I was watching Heskey tonight , he has the physical presence to cause defenders problems.

Gallacher- One of worst performances from him, he was never really in the game.

Stead- Lacks so much confidence either put him out on loan or put him in reserves for a few games.

Johnson- Did well in a side that couldnt create many chances

I hope that in a future match that Bolton end up losing due to a dodgy penalty decision and I will be interested in Big Sams reaction to it.

Iam sure he wont come out with the line "all things even themselves out"

Edited by Grabbi Graeme

I am studying at the Technology Innovation Centre [part of the university of central england] located at millenium point bimringham

the University is regardly very highly by industry and students leave with industry qualifications as part of their degree ie ccna ccnp

and you northerners spoken english is of a high standard ?

report from bolton official site

SAM ALLARDYCE admitted Wanderers' victory was a 'very satisfying result' after Rovers had beaten his side at the Reebok Stadium earlier in the season.

After watching El-Hadji Diouf grab the only goal of the game to make it three league wins on the trot, the Wanderers boss said: "It was a very, very satisfying result from our point of view. It was December the 28th when we got beat at the Reebok Stadium. It meant that we had lost three local derbies on the trot - Manchester City, Manchester United and Blackburn Rovers. It was a pretty torrid time at the end of that game for us, as a group.

"Of course, we've worked very, very hard to turn it around since the West Brom comeback. From there it's began to flow and today was about keeping a clean-sheet, which we've managed to do for two games on the trot.

"Now we have seemed to grasp that if we want to get where we want to go then clean sheets are the answer. Manchester United have turned their season around by it, Chelsea are winning the title with it and Arsenal are dropping down the league by it after conceding too many."

funny how the editors forgot about diouf and nolan

Edited by rock steady

Darling Brummy Git

Is punctuation banned at the "University" of Central England or is it just you? Can anyone else there not construct a single grammatically-correct sentence or is it just you? Does anyone else there not bother to capitalise their sentences or is it just you? Can anyone else there fail to take a hint as to when they are NOT welcome or is it just you?

For the record, your criticism on "northeners spoken english" is like a guy with a broken leg telling me I walk funny.

This is too easy.

Sam

Mokoena - This guy looked edgy from the start and just could not get any power on defensive headers. Almost caught out by Davies in what was a very good opportuinity wasted - 5

Could you go into more detail TCJ. The commentators were making it seem like Mokoena was the best player on the pitch.

I am studying at the Technology Innovation Centre [part of the university of central england] located at millenium point bimringham

the University is regardly very highly by industry and students leave with industry qualifications as part of their degree ie ccna ccnp

Listen Brummy take the hint and go back to your own board.Where i'm sure everyones IQ is well over 150. And are all experts of football like youreself

Mokoena - This guy looked edgy from the start and just could not get any power on defensive headers.  Almost caught out by Davies in what was a very good opportuinity wasted - 5

Could you go into more detail TCJ. The commentators were making it seem like Mokoena was the best player on the pitch.

I personally thourght he played quite well, just once or twice he misguided defensive headers. however he looks strong and reasonably quick something our defense has been missing

Mokoena - This guy looked edgy from the start and just could not get any power on defensive headers.  Almost caught out by Davies in what was a very good opportuinity wasted - 5

Generally Mokoena didn't do much wrong. He was always up for headers but he never got any power on them at all. Also, he was caught badly out of position when Kevin Davies was put through in the second half. He was also caught out of position in the first half and Todd had to come round and cover to prevent a Bolton player going one on one or from crossing a ball into the box. He was quick to get rid of the ball and one or two passes put players under pressure.

Admittedly he didn't do too much wrong and I'm being a little harsh but he was by no means the best player on the pitch - that was Todd far and away. With Todd as his partner though, I expect him to improve. Strange to see an international captain look so edgy and pass the ball as soon as he got it.

Well, that was as bad as anything we've seen down at Ewood in the last few seasons. We were just inept today.

Ferguson didn't even make the bench which I guess means he'll be off soon. Good riddance to him. Savage replaced him in midfield and Bothroyd came in for the suspended Dickov. Otherwise it was the same team that played so badly against Cardiff. We managed to play worse tonight.

We just couldn't pass the ball. It's easy to say we missed Ferguson, and we definately did, but that doesn't excuse the amount of shocking passing that was on display today. Bolton, in contrast, kept the ball well in the first half but failed to threaten Friedel's goal. In fact, in what was possibly the dullest half of football I've seen for a long time, the only shot of note was a decent effort from Neill that their keeper did well to palm round the post.

The only other notable events in the half were bookings for Diouf and Savage. Half-time was a welcome relief.

The second half wasn't much better. Again, we couldn't pass the ball, we created nothing, and the game carried on in its scrappy, dull manner. We did at least defend fairly well and snuffed out what little threat Bolton possessed. Right up until they scored that is.

A good ball saw Diouf running clear one-on-one against Friedel. Friedel dived for the ball, missed, but also didn't make contact with the player either. Diouf ran on another pace and then fell as if a sniper had just taken him out from the back of the Riverside stand. Surely a sending off we all thought? But no, the ref thought differently and awarded Bolton the softest of penaltys.

We thought justice had been done when Friedel saved Diouf's spotkick but sadly the ball rebounded straight back to the theatrical gobber who finished clinically into the roof of the net.

We hadn't looked like scoring all night and this didn't change once we fell behind. Both Bothroyd and Gallagher had been replaced by Stead and Johnson early in the second half but nothing changed. The game petered out and Bolton got a completely undeserved three points.

Let's start at the front. Tonight Bothroyd put in one of the worst centre-forward performances it's ever been my misfortune to see from a Rovers player. He looked lazy, he didn't compete for a single ball, his first touch was pathetic, he didn't make a single run into space, and I can't remember him winning a header. He was simply disgraceful. Gallagher wasn't much better but at least he looked like he was trying. Stead came on and showed the first touch of a brick wall. Only JJ showed any sort of touch and quality on the ball - he could be a player that lad.

Our midfield worked hard but were terrible in possession. Savage put himself about, ran his socks off to close Bolton down, walked a tightrope with the referee, but didn't do anything spectacular with the ball. Thompson looked lost at times, he never has been, and he never will be, a central midfielder. He just doesn't have the necessary discipline, strength or passing ability.

Emerton looked dangerous but didn't supply many final balls. MGP didn't look dangerous and didn't supply any final balls. He did compete a lot better than he has in the past though.

Defensively we were sound, Todd stood out as usual, but both full-backs were awful going forward. Friedel was unlucky with the penalty and had nothing else to do.

All in all that was as bad as we've been under Hughes and we were back to relegation form. We need to replace Ferguson, we desperately need new forwards, and we need Dickov back.

Just back...

....one moment of "quality" and it won the three points...

We need to wise up...

Cheats prosper.......If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...............

.......Spit the blackdog has a talent beyond us.......

Savage will be a Rovers legend......

......pity he signed a few years after a certain messageboard poster recommended him.........

MGP is starting to shape up .........

YEEHHHH!!!!............

I don't like him much but just how much do we miss El Dikler!!!!!!!!!

Sign a really big thug up front and we will be sussed.

Andy Todd - Rovers legend and the obvious choice for the club captain that the fans deserve...........

Monday 24th Jan.........The most miserable day of the year.

God, reading the Bolton official site's news makes me feel sick...

"Spitface made it three wins on the trot for wanderers when he showed excellent composure to convert his saved penalty kick past Brad Freidel to give his side another against their lancashire neighbours"

"Sam allardyce admitted victory was a 'very satisfying result.'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.