BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 3 - 0 Colchester Utd

Paul

I have to agree with an earlier post, that Nelson looks better than Mokoena. There's something about Mokoena that makes me uncomfortable when he has the ball, I think he some hidden Amoruso qualities. Nelson looked to keep it simple and defended well, unlucky nottoo score also.

Mokoena just doesn't look composed. Everything he does seems to be at a hundred miles an hour and seems very kamikaze. Still, it's early days yet so let's give him the benefit of doubt. As for the crowd issue, I've said it on here before, who is this tirade aimed at ? You're preaching to the converted. The majority of people on this board either go to the matches regularly or live to far away to attend - i.e. different countries.

Edited by Andy Kennedys Hairdo

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mokoena, to be polite is a raw talent.

Tends to win most balls in the air and gets his foot in, but has no ball didtribution.

A modern day Faz.

Nelsen, got turned a couple of times and gave away a silly free kick on the edge of the area.

Read the game well, and wasnt afraid to throw out instructions to other members of the defence.

Dare I say it, that once he adjusts to the Premiership he could be a revalation.

I have to agree with an earlier post, that Nelson looks better than Mokoena. There's something about Mokoena that makes me uncomfortable when he has the ball, I think he some hidden Amoruso qualities. Nelson looked to keep it simple and defended well, unlucky nottoo score also.

Mokoena just doesn't look composed. Everything he does seems to be at a hundred miles an hour and seems very kamikaze. Still, it's early days yet so let's give him the benefit of doubt. As for the crowd issue, I've said it on here before, who is this tirade aimed at ? You're preaching to the converted. The majority of people on this board either go to the matches regularly or live to far away to attend - i.e. different countries.

Agree with your point about Mokoena, and also a very good comment about the crowd. This messageboard just doesnt represent the population of Blackburn.

Mokoena always starts the game nervously but he tends to get better as the game goes on. I think he'll be an ok player for rovers and he's certainly better than Amo.

And from listening to his interviews, he seems quite a nice guy and loves to play for Rovers.

Quote from the BBC report of the game:

"Johnson broke down the left in the sixth minute but his teasing cross was cleared, while Morten Gamst Pedersen shot wide after the outstanding Brett Emerton laid the ball into his path 18 yards from goal."

Crikey.. outstanding eh? Anyone who was there care to verify this claim?

And 10,600 is a stain on a so called Premiership Club. Use it or lose it. Personally I'm sick of all your excuses. Lets have a poll and see how many on the Members list actually went. Thank god the drummer turned up.

And I had that small thing known as the Channel as well as most of England in my way, I do understand though that taking the 12 or so hours it would have taken me to drive to Ewood Park at great expense would have been worth it to watch us play Colchester.

And 10,600 is a stain on a so called Premiership Club. Use it or lose it. Personally I'm sick of all your excuses. Lets have a poll and see how many on the Members list actually went. Thank god the drummer turned up.

Well I went for one, as did my wife and daughter. But have you ever stopped to think that 3 games in just over a week is pretty expensive, especially in January? And frankly, out of the 3 this was the obvious one that was going to suffer.

And I had that small thing known as the Channel as well as most of England in my way, I do understand though that taking the 12 or so hours it would have taken me to drive to Ewood Park at great expense would have been worth it to watch us play Colchester.

Marvellously sarcastic. biggrin.gif

What kind of supporter has a shot at other supporters about attending games, but can't spell the names of team members correctly?

BTW, I had 12000Kms, the Timor sea, the Indian Ocean, the Indian sub continent, part of Asia and most of Europe AND the channel to cross.

Yours is a pitiful excuse, Eddie wink.gif

Interesting team selection today. Usual back four, Tugay in to play the "Ferguson" passing midfield role, Thompson played in his proper position wide-right, and Pedersen up front with JJ. Does the absence of Ferguson mean that there are still moves afoot to take him to Rangers? Who knows. And no Jansen anywhere. Is he still injured? If not then surely that's the end of his career at the club.

It was a bright start to the game and very open. We looked marginally the better team in the opening 20 minutes but both teams created decent chances and it could easily have been 1-1 or 2-2 before the first goal went in. And what a goal it was! A routine backpass by a Colchester defender was comically mis-kicked by their keeper and the ball rolled slowly into the empty net. Ok, the ball bobbelled, but not enough to excuse such a bad mistake.

It was one-way traffic after that. The goal clearly effected Colchester and we started to control the game. A good move saw Pedersen play a clever knock back to the edge of the area where JJ finished with tremendous composure.

2-0 at half-time and looking as comfortable as we have all season.

We started the second half brightly and it wasn't long before we got the third. A free-kick wide left was whipped into the near post by Savage and Matteo supplied a deft touch to steer it past a flat-footed keeper.

For a while it could have been any score. Every time we attacked we looked threatening and it was only the lack of a killer final ball that stopped us increasing the lead. Stead came on for Pedersen with 20 minutes to go and did everything but score, but it wasn't to be. In the last five minutes Colchester, after some poor defending, probably had their best chance of the match but Friedel was equal to the shot.

It's hard to judge our team today because Colchester resembled a pub team at times. Our defence was tight in the main, Mokoena defended well without looking totally composed, Todd looked class yet again, Neill defensively was sound but as shocking as usual going forward, and Matteo probably had his best game at left back for us.

In midfield Savage was excellent and was probably my man of the match. He worked his socks off and allowed their midfield no time at all to create. Emerton looked top class and ran their left back ragged at times - but, yet again, his final ball wasn't always as good as it could have been. Thompson did some good things but gave the ball away a lot as well. To be fair to him I think he was feeling a kick on the ankle he received at around the half-hour mark. Tugay used possession well and was as effective as Fergsuon usually is.

Up front, Pedersen was as physical as I've seen him but didn't really look like the answer to our striker problems. JJ took his goal well, dropped deep intelligently to link up play at times, showed a good touch and technique, but didn't look anything particularly special. He wasn't bad, but he wasn't great either. Early days for him though and his goal must give him confidence. Stead looked brilliant when he came on and was desperate to get a goal - he did everything but get one. Surely it's only a matter of time.

Overall it was a good, thoroughly professional win against a poor lower division side. Roll on the the 5th round draw on Monday.

Oh, and just for Rover6 (because I know he/she struggles to get to games) Danns did sod all.

Edited by Scotty

Evening chaps - been back about 45 minutes, completing a sixteen hour day for ninety minutes!

Felt that the timing of the first goal killed us - and the nature of it certainly took the wind out of the sails. Dont know what your impressions were but, after a scrappy start, we'd just got our game going I think.

The annoying thing is that - against Southampton and WBA this season - we have given much better accounts of ourselves, but I think perhaps you saw in glimpses what we have.

Have to say that Rovers looked sharper and quicker than the other two sides we faced from the Prem and Savage will be an inspired signing for you, the man has one hell of an engine on him.

Disappointed with the attendance, but fair play to those fans that stayed at the end to clap our players off.

Best of luck in the next round and hopefully when we play you in the cup next season, you'll see a bit more of the real us.

Watch out for Baldwin and Halford - thought they did well today and will only get better!

Cheers for the hospitality,

Matt

Colchester resembled a pub team at times

A mite harsh perhaps! I think you showed your class at times, rather than us being particularly bad.

Perhaps Matt but I thought you were poor today. I'm sure you can play better than that, you must have done to beat the teams you have this season, but today, as soon as the first goal went in, it looked like men against boys really.

Good luck for the rest of the season and your support was fantastic.

Yep, as I posted just at the same time as yourself, I think the first goal killed us really - especially the nature of it.

There were too many in our team that werent quite at the races, but think equally there were two or three that did themselves no harm at all to improve their profile.

Now, about that bobble in the pitch rolleyes.gif

The Press Association people who wrote the report (and string it to F365 and others) love a bit of hyperbole!

That said, it did make him look a bit foolish and the bobble happened just at the point when he would have struck the ball.

Not the best way to get going in a game!

Have you ever stopped to think that 3 games in just over a week is pretty expensive, especially in January? 

oii, Mrs 75 might read this. Dread to think what she says when she sees petrol account.

Seriously though, for those with families to support and also have to finance tickets for the kids it cant be easy.

Well done Rovers for reducing prices for the game.

What I did notice today, was that there was less moaning from supporters.

sitting near me. Admittedly the anti Lucas Neill fan club were conspicuous by their absense.

PS.

Must say well done to the U's keeper, he didnt let his head drop and the smiles that he gave the Blackburn End every time he cleared the ball afterwards was a joy to see.

Nice to see someone playing for the enjoyment of the game, and not the pay packet.

What kind of supporter has a shot at other supporters about attending games, but can't spell the names of team members correctly?

BTW, I had 12000Kms, the Timor sea, the Indian Ocean, the Indian sub continent, part of Asia and most of Europe AND the channel to cross.

Yours is a pitiful excuse, Eddie

Well I have an extra 1000 kms on top of that! Btw, good win. Go you good thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.