BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Side 2005-06

What we have to consider is that Dickov will most likely be a first team regular again next season.

This is very true-I think it's just the fact that nobody wants this to happen, and this is why none of us have put him in our team for next season. Hughsey obviously loves the wee man, and if we're all honest he'll probably be in our starting 11 come August. I really hope that this isn't the case, as tcj_jones says it will be a distinct lack of ambition if he is a first 11 player next season. He hasn't been good enough at all of his clubs-bar Leicester so he shouldn't be at us if we want to aim for a top half finish next season.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What we have to consider is that Dickov will most likely be a first team regular again next season.

This is very true-I think it's just the fact that nobody wants this to happen, and this is why none of us have put him in our team for next season. Hughsey obviously loves the wee man, and if we're all honest he'll probably be in our starting 11 come August. I really hope that this isn't the case, as tcj_jones says it will be a distinct lack of ambition if he is a first 11 player next season. He hasn't been good enough at all of his clubs-bar Leicester so he shouldn't be at us if we want to aim for a top half finish next season.

thats not really the case, the reality is Dickov has to lose his place to another player and not be dropped.

Why should it be so difficult for Dickov to lose his place, its happen (no disrespect to him) all his career. The problem is the other strikers we have.

Lets say we sign Sutton, if he plays with Stead and both score a goal Dickov will lose his place, but Stead goes on another 20 game run without a goal he will lose his place.

It all about competition, Dickov has a right to compete for his place, its the job of the other strikers to be better, simple as.

As Brownie said we would probably swap Dickov for a striker from most teams but we want Dickov to be competing with top strikers, then if he keeps his place he should only get praise, but if another partnership gells then get on the bench Paul.

Edited by chris

I think your all forgetting how good Dickov was earlier on in the season.

Since then he's been asked to play up front on his own in a team who hardly creates loads of chances.

Dickov with a quality player by his side would suit me down to the ground.

By the way, whoever said Bellemy AND Tristan: PM me so you can send me some of whatever your smoking.

Edited by shillito15

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If as suggested in the press there will six players exiting Ewood in the summer, hers what i think may happen

Certs Poss

Gray NEJ

Amo Matty

Bothroyd Tugs

Short

personaly out of those i would keep Matty and NEJ but ive got a sneaky suspicion that could both be gone come next August

If Tugay wants to stay for another year, I'd like us to keep him.. he showed today what he can give us, perhaps not week in, week out, but as a squad player to come on in games like today's.. he's probably our most skilled player, fantastic passing ability and great technique aswell.

my problem is how can we afford replacements.

The money for finishing 12th (or whatever it is in the end) in the Premiership + the FA Cup run + Dahlin insurance money (if they ever pay, the tightwads) + Beattie sell-on money + anything we might have left from the Ferguson transfer + whatever we get for the following:

Douglas (£400,000?)

McEverley (£500.000?)

Jansen (£750,000?)

Amoruso (£2.50?)

Short (free, but off the wage bill)

Gray (£400,000)

Total = £2,050,002 & 50p)

That puts us in the region of 5 - 6 million quid. Personally I would sell Thompson if someone like Everton renewed their interest & offered 3 - 4 million for him. That would make the following affordable:

a budget striker (Jestrovich or Sokota)

a quality striker (Bellamy or Earnshaw)

a creative midfielder (Gera)

Not to mention getting a lot of average or past-it players off the wage bill. Sorted!

Not to pick on you, Harwood, but I think you've got a bad case of that oh so common disease I like to call championshipmanageritis.

You're right in pointing out where the money will come from, but in your potential sales you're a bit off methinks. A more realistic valuation of those ins and outs:

Douglas -- £250,000 max

McEveley -- not going anywhere

Jansen -- either sticking around or leaving on a Bosman (he's out of contract)

Amoruso -- not going anywhere

Short -- released

Gray -- free, if someone decides to take him off our books

So that's not quite so much from players sales. It all hinges on keeping our league position high (so forget fielding a youth team, waggy) and keeping our fingers crossed about the Dahlin case.

Edited by Philly Rover ®

Sadly, I think youre probably right Philly. We wont get much for the players we are talking about which I suppose reinforces why a Premiership club with ambition (I'm talking about Rovers here!) ought to get rid of them.

It also answers the debate posed elsewhere on this board about whether we use the last few games to try out a few youngsters or continue to push on for a high league position. Has to be the second option, if this is Rovers' best chance of collecting some sort of transfer kitty.

My team next season would be:

Brad

Neill Nelsen Todd Gresko

Emerton Savage Reid MGP

Striker 1 Striker 2

subs Enks, Nissa/Matteo, Mokeana, attacking mid, Dickov

squad players: Stead, Tugay, right back cover, left back cover, Tommo, Jansen (pay as you play).

To be honest that to me is all we need, although the squad size is a little thin we'd have back up and options for every postion. More importantly most positions would have players who are just as good/deserve to be first teams coming in in terms of the creative mid, mokeana, matteo/nissa.

Ok there is a question mark about whether Gresko can still do it but if Hughes can work the same magic he has with the rest of the defence then there's a good chance that we'll see the best of Vratti again.

Dickov as a substitute to come on for twenty minutes to harass the defence thus creating more opportunites for our team is an asset. To lead the line he is a liability.

Other than the strike positions I reckon the rest of the team is doing well enough to warrent its place. The only position I'm torn between is Matteo and Nissa, as both seem to be better at cb but can also cover lb. Matteo has impressed me more in recent weeks, but Nissa represents better value for money in terms of wages and longetivity.

We already have a compact defence, a hardworking midfield which can be quite offensive (in terms of attacking), and in Brad we have one of the best keepers around. One striker IMO wouldn't be enough as that would still leave us with not enough options up front.

Of the players needed only the strikers and possibly the creative midfielder need to be of top class. If we can get one striker on a free then that's 2 players to spend the majority of our budget on.

Another possibility would be sell on tommo and get another wide player in (Routledge on the cheap) as Tommo might be one of our more saleable assets. Cover for right back is imperative as Nelsen is wasted there, and quite possibly a lb too so Nissa/Matteo can cover the centre backs along with Moko.

With Hughes looking to get rid of alot of the deadwood in the squad, I can the likes of Amorusp, Short, Douglas, Flitcroft and Gray being shown the door. When reading other peoples posts, I've realised that by getting rid of some of these defenders, we still have plenty left in the squad, like Nissa, Matteo, McEveley and Gresko, who can all play at left back and in the centre of defence. So we don't need to concentrate on that area. A right back, as cover for Neill would be welcome.

Moreover, with players like Reid, Savage, Tugay and Mokoena, as well as any additions that Hughes brings, all being able to play in the centre of midfield, I can see Flitcroft being let go. His wages could be used elsewhere and on better equivalents like Stephen Appiah.

Up front, it looks like we will have a whole host of strikers to chose from. I would let the likes of Gallagher and Johnson go on loan for the season, so they can get more first team action. With the possibility of Tomislav Sokota and Benni McCarthy/Craig Bellamy joining, then I think that Paul Dickov will be used more as a squad player, along with Jansen. I hope that Stead is paired with any new strikers or that the new strikers form our strike force. I would like to see Jansen, Stead and any new strikers as being the first choice players.

Out -

Short - Released to Sheff United

Gray - Signed by Leeds for a nominal fee

Flitcroft

Amoruso

Also i hope that Gallagher goes on a Season long loan, unless he can find his shooting boots.

Wouldnt mind seeing us look at Routledge, Ellington, Koumas, Bellamy, McCarthy and also another defender

Out -

Short - Released to Sheff United

Gray - Signed by Leeds for a nominal fee

Flitcroft

Amoruso

Also i hope that Gallagher goes on a Season long loan, unless he can find his shooting boots.

Wouldnt mind seeing us look at Routledge, Ellington, Koumas, Bellamy, McCarthy and also another defender

Agree with you there Hughesy, except I'd add Douglas, off on a small fee with a sell-on clause.

Your forgetting Bothroyd going.. wink.gif

I have got a feeling Thompson will be going as well... unsure.gif

Edited by AussieinUk

These players have to be expendable:

Amo

one out of Nissa and Matteo, possibly both could stay if we do not sign a left sided defender.

Flitcroft (I think he is poor and he is going to find it incredibly difficult to get a place with Savage, Reid, Moko, Tugay and hopefully a new player in)

Douglas

One out of Thompson or emerton

Thompson or Emerton are the only ones we could hope to get cash for and it would be certainly worth selling if the money would fund a quality player who could play wide or in the centre.

Short, Gray and Bothroyd will all go. Jansen will stay if he accepts massively reduced wages.

The squad will be a bit smaller next season but hopefully will possess a bit more talent. We are probably looking up against it to find a decent left back as cash needs to be spent in other areas. I just hope Gresko looks decent when he is fit.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Personally I would sell Thompson if someone like Everton renewed their interest & offered 3 - 4 million for him.

Thompson for 3-4million, i wish if any1 was so stupid to offer us that then hughes would bite their hand off.

Next seasons team:

Friedel

Neill Todd Nelsen Left back?

Emerton Savage Reid MGP

New Striker? Stead

Bench: New Striker, Thompson, Mokeona, Matteo, Tugay

Any more new players and i would be very happy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.