BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dwayne Derosario

During the MLS preview show this weekend, a commentator on Fox Soccer Channel here in the States made some comment about how Rovers were very interested in Dwayne DeRosario (of MLS's San Jose)... that he had been on trial at Blackburn and linked to the club as a transfer target. I assumed the commentator had misspoke, though I don't know of another team for which this might be true, either. In any event, does anyone know anything about this?

Edited by Texan Rover

That's not actually true. He was offered a contract, but it was only until the end of the season and he felt that didn't offer enough security and so decided to take the safer option of going back to San Jose.

When did this happen? Somehow this was totally off my radar screen.

I'm not sure I understand why him, either. He's thoroughly unspectacular, as far as I can see; very much what the first reply said: "the same as what we've got." On top of that, he's averaged a stellar 4.5 goals per season during his time from MLS. I'm sure he'll have some defenders rush to tell me that he was never a starter, didn't play a bunch of minutes, blah blah, but I'm underwhelmed, to say the least.

It's a sad day when my local team (FC Dallas) has an embarassment of riches up front compared to Rovers. Eddie Johnson and Carlos Ruiz might not be what Hughes is looking for in the close season, but I'm not sure that any of us would be disappointed to see them pulling on the blue and white halves. Johnson's going to command big prices one day (Benfica apparently offered $6 million for him in the winter) and I doubt he'd be interested in our little club; having said that, he has never struck me as a can't-miss talent like Rooney, Ronaldo, Duffer, etc. Ruiz may have no interest in playing overseas, and probably isn't the prototype English center forward anyway.

I guess the point of all this was just to say that they're both better than A-League DeRosario, pride of the Canadian national team and the Toronto Lynx.

He supposidly did quite well on trial here a couple months back, scoring a couple of goals in practise matches. Can't say I've ever taken notice of him when watching the MLS but obviously he did something right while he was here.

Eddie Johnson. Johnson's going to command big prices one day (Benfica apparently offered $6 million for him in the winter) and I doubt he'd be interested in our little club; having said that, he has never struck me as a can't-miss talent like Rooney, Ronaldo, Duffer, etc. Ruiz may have no interest in playing overseas, and probably isn't the prototype English center forward anyway.

This bloke isn't too bad. He may be worth a look at.

Johnson trained with ManU last year, and the word seems to be that when he thinks about going to England, it will be to Manchester. So as far as maybe "being worth a look," I agree, though I'd be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if he came to Rovers. We've got a better shot with Brian McBride.

It's a sad day when my local team (FC Dallas) has an embarassment of riches up front compared to Rovers.

i was just saying the same thing to my sister during the dallas/chicago game earlier this week...

i personally think ruiz is going to re-sign with the mls, and stay in the red and white hoops for a few more years.... johnson, however, is going to go from home-town hero of dallas to bitter scum sooner than later, sadly... but at least he'll still be on our national team smile.gif

a little off topic, but i'm really impressed with what FC Dallas has done. compare all things FCD with all things dallas burn, and it's night and day... i was never a big MLS fan, but i'm strongly in the market for a dallas home shirt now. they're going to be good... and i feel a lot better about cheering for a team named FC Dallas than i would about cheering for a team named "Dallas Burn"... that name, logo, and color set was just gross.

Johnson trained with ManU last year, and the word seems to be that when he thinks about going to England, it will be to Manchester. So as far as maybe "being worth a look," I agree, though I'd be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if he came to Rovers. We've got a better shot with Brian McBride.

any word on donovan? i heard something about him not being able to agree to a contract in germany, or something, and coming back to the MLS, with LA...

is there any chance at all that he'd be interested in rovers, you think?

Donovan is back with the MLS and the LA Galaxy.

DeRosario is nowhere near good enough to play in the Premiership - I'd go for Ruiz, Twellman, Wolyniec, Gaven, Eskandarian, Johnson, Buddle, Razov, Noonan, or Ching before DeRosario.

A question for our American posters.

What do you guys think of the presenter Sean Wheelock? Radio 5 Live over here do a footie phone in on saturday mornings at 2:30am with Sean on every other week.

He seems to know his stuff, about not only US Football but also the English leagues as well.

I don't have the faintest idea who Sean Wheelock is, so I can't help with that one.

moose, I 100% agree with all your comments about FCD. I wasn't wildly impressed with Ruiz in the opener, but it was his third match of the week and he was playing in a brand-new system. I'm sure he'll come around and be outstanding. Gibbs and Onyewu gave him a hell of a time in a Guatemala shirt, though.

Johnson, on the other hand, was outstanding. His finish was great on the diving header, and while he seemed to lack first touch and control on the ball from time to time, I think he's gonna be great in the new system. As a wide player up front on the left in the 4-3-3, his style of play reminded me of Rooney and Henry: lots of tracking back, receiving the ball deep and running at defenders. The system is interesting, really, because I think in a lot of ways it's like United's 4-3-2-1, with Johnson and O'Brien playing the Giggs/Ronaldo roles and Ruiz up top. O'Brien's clearly not a striker and isn't big or strong enough to play with his back to goal, but if he can run at players and fire in crosses, we'll be in good shape.

See, in the span of one post I've gone from not really being an MLS fan to referring to FCD as "we." biggrin.gif And you're right, the new shirt is excellent, though I could do without the "FC DALLAS" across the front.

i've never heard of Sean Wheelock either.... but as i've said, i only started following soccer in late 2002, after friedel impressed me at the world cup (which i traditionally always watched, before i became a real fan)... i'm a fan of english football more than american soccer... i've only watched maybe 2 full MLS games in my life, and I don't know 1/2 of the players on my local FC Dallas... however, as i said, i'm starting to get more interested in FCD this season, since they've had a more traditional makeover, and actually resemble a football club.

and yeah, texan, i wouldn't mind seeing FC DALLAS taken off the front of the shirts... that's my biggest complaint about the MLS. i talk to a lot of people about that, and they generally say "well, they wanted to look like european soccer, without blank space on their shirts, but they didn't want to sell out and have ads on their uniforms"........ call me crazy, but dallas seems to always have radioshak under their numbers on the back.

FCD would look a million times better if they took FC DALLAS off of the shirts, and put the radioshak add on the front, where it won't look as out of place. but hey... baby steps smile.gif we got rid of the awful name, we got rid of the red, black, and olive green color scheme... we're going in the right direction, even if it's just baby steps laugh.gif

Sean Wheelock does the MLS wrap show with John Harkes on FSW. He used to broadcast for Kansas City, I believe. I like him a lot, the 2 of them do a good job together.

Moose &Texan Rover

.......are we the new Texan Blackburn Rovers Supporters Club?

If not, i think you should be! thumbs-up.giftinykit.gif

i've actually thought about starting one... but i assumed i'd be the only member smile.gif

just think of the possibilities...... we could use a YELLOW rose for the logo smile.gif

• 3 years later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.