BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Highlights

You can't afford £25 pounds a year to see daily video interviews and news stories, weekly game highlights and live commentary for every match. Alright, but can you afford 6 pints over the course of the season? Same price my friend. smile.gif

340887[/snapback]

Now you see thats the wrong attitude. Its highlights for gods sake they should be free.

Paying to see again what you have already paid to see. Season Ticket holders should get highlights free.

Yes make the abroad monkeys pay....... after all they dont exactly donate as much to the club do they.... and before they go on about thier £1000+ pilgrimages - money to airlines doesn't exactly count.

Now you see thats the wrong attitude. Its highlights for gods sake they should be free.

Paying to see again what you have already paid to see. Season Ticket holders should get highlights free.

Yes make the abroad monkeys pay....... after all they dont exactly donate as much to the club do they.... and before they go on about thier £1000+ pilgrimages - money to airlines doesn't exactly count.

340962[/snapback]

Thats an interesting idea Oscar, unfortunately as I suspect only a tiny proportion of the World subscription goes to Rovers (with most going to the entity that is PTV).

I'll remember that idea though.

Thats an interesting idea Oscar, unfortunately as I suspect only a tiny proportion of the World subscription goes to Rovers (with most going to the entity that is PTV).

I'll remember that idea though.

341022[/snapback]

Actually, the proportion of funds that goes to the club from World subscriptions isn't too bad at all (compared to other deals).

I tried this close-season to actually come up with a plan whereby we could offer all season ticket holders Rovers World for free, but alas we couldn't work things out with Football League interactive or PremiumTV for it to be done, they weren't keen.

Therefore I had to shelve that idea.

Actually, the proportion of funds that goes to the club from World subscriptions isn't too bad at all (compared to other deals).

I tried this close-season to actually come up with a plan whereby we could offer all season ticket holders Rovers World for free, but alas we couldn't work things out with Football League interactive or PremiumTV for it to be done, they weren't keen.

341102[/snapback]

Still works for me and not paid for 2 years smile.gif

340962[/snapback]

I guess I'm one of the few ex-pats who agree with him. He's paying minimum 250 per season to watch Rovers (ticket alone), I can at least pay 20. Really, what do Rovers make off of me? My subscription and my shirt or 2 each year. It's the least I can pay. And considering the free swag Rovers sent to season ticket holders this year, highlights wouldn't kill them.

I have no problem paying for Rovers World at all.. the quote "foreign monkeys" however..

341131[/snapback]

Firstly let me assure anyone who is in any doubt the term "abroad monkeys" is not racist, nor was it intended as racist. I am not a racist.

A monkey is an animal much like a human. In fact 99% human but not quite if you know what I mean... I would almost say analogous to the rovers fans who dont attend the games and those who do.

Still I should know better, I've been posting here long enough to know they are soft, sensitive and vindictive people. Still lesson learned.

Firstly let me assure anyone who is in any doubt the term "abroad monkeys" is not racist, nor was it intended as racist. I am not a racist.

A monkey is an animal much like a human. In fact 99% human but not quite if you know what I mean... I would almost say analogous to the rovers fans who dont attend the games and those who do.

Still I should know better, I've been posting here long enough to know they are soft, sensitive and vindictive people. Still lesson learned.

341137[/snapback]

I have to admit, at work (and possible the IT industry as a whole) "monkey" is used in a very light-hearted fashion. The phones are answered by phone moneys who fix the software written by code moneys advestised on websites written by the web monkey. It's probably analageous (sp?) to "cow" or "tart", in the right context, to the right person it's almost a term of endearment, at the wrong time to the wrong person it's a downright insult.

... anyway .... highlights .....

341102[/snapback]

So the club wanted to give season ticket holders extra value for the season tickets but let me understand the corporate entities that feed off football prevented it?

Point Proven I think.

[also see other thread on Football - A Bit Crap Really]

So the club wanted to give season ticket holders extra value for the season tickets but let me understand the corporate entities that feed off football prevented it?

Point Proven I think.

[also see other thread on Football - A Bit Crap Really]

341140[/snapback]

More the point that Rovers don't own the rights to distribute the highlights over the internet, other people have paid for the rights to do that and Rovers will have benefitted from the cash they recieved. Sounds fair enough to me. I doubt Rovers had a gun to their heads when they sold the distribution rights.

Lee tried to negotiate limited rights back from them but an agreement couldn't be reached. Nice try from Lee, but not the end of the world.

Sounds like common business practice to me. As a business, what would Rovers benefit from giving free highlights to ST holders anyway (or than some minor added value to the ST package ?).

Seems like yet another "I want" from the fans who don't realise everything has a price and ultimately they are the ones who end up paying for it.

But it would have been a nice added feature to make a season ticket that little bit more worth while.

On PTV, I'm not sure why they couldn't come to an agreement with Rovers for the season tickets seen as how they gave away access to anyone with an ntl account a while ago. I signed up nearly a year and a half ago and it's still working. Surely that's not great business sense, especially as I am quite happy to subscribe (when I can't get it for free)

341102[/snapback]

I'm guessing the world portion of the site is externally maintained but is there any possibility of getting better quality highlights? The high quality one is quite poor really. A mate of mine has a subscription to the Liverpool equivalent and I'm amazed by the quality they get, pretty much full screen and with some games they get full highlights.

Anyway...I'm going slightly off topic and Liverpool have a different level of global support anyway. I'll get back in my cage.

Seems like yet another "I want" from the fans who don't realise everything has a price and ultimately they are the ones who end up paying for it.

341142[/snapback]

Maybe.....

But I paid at the gate to see the game, I paid my licence fee / subscription to see the highlights and now if i want to show my mate at work Tugay's stunning volley I have to pay again......

It's nice to be given someting once in a while instead of always having to pay. Look how well the little trinkets in the ST packs have gone down this season.

I think highlights (and for that matter radio commentry should be free). But then I realise someone has paid out for these and they have a right to try and get a return on thier investment.

So fundematally my point is: I dont think football should be a bussiness.

Bring on the supporters trusts.

During my (often) arguments with PTV (the technical people who manage the infrastructure and do the highlights), I always cite Liverpool as a prime example as to what Rovers World should offer in terms of highlights and quality.

But the problem is that the FLi network (of which Rovers are part of) has some 80 odd clubs to look after and therefore doesn't treat clubs individually.

When I made the suggestion at the end of April to them about the possibility of us including Rovers World as part of the season ticket package, their response was distinctly luke warm and indeed offered us a leaflet to put in with our packs.

Hardly what I was after.

It's similar to - or should be - the reasoning behind most newspapers allowing free access to their papers on the web , presumably in the hope that the punters will then buy their product .

Could be a double edged sword in Rovers' case though.... unsure.gif

340962[/snapback]

Monkeys indeed, still better a Monkey than a Raven. I disagree with your "I'm a ST holder Everything should be free for me" stance, if we were only talking highlights then you might have a point. However, there is a lot more to Rovers World than just the highlights, any Monkey can see that.

341137[/snapback]

When you are in a hole the best thing to do is stop digging.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.