BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Orleans

MCMC1875

Maybe the American Government might reconsider signing the Kyoto agreement about global warming. With the waters in the Gulf the warmest on record this won't be the last hurricane this season. The scientists were not listened too in the past but just maybe they might be heard now. Its a tragedy so many people suffered because the powers that be didn't want to know.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please.

There is no witch hunt here. Phil, you are right, religion has nothing to do with it. Their webite had the viewpoint not Matt or I. Why does Mr. Repent post on his website that the disaster happened because New Orleans is a den of ill repute? This is another form of religious fundamentalism. No doubt you are up in arms over the London bomber's confession, but will keep quiet over the "un-enlightened" view of Mr. Repent.

344440[/snapback]

When Mr Repent and his ilk start to blow themselves up and fly planes into skyscrapers I'll start to put him on the same level as some other religious loonies I could mention . Until then he's harmless enough ....

(We're slipping off topic a bit now .. wink.gif )

344453[/snapback]

Certainly we are, so to get us back on target....

The rescue efforts have been very poor, but unfortunately its due to the chain reaction of events.

When the hurricane first hit, it missed new orleans, in fact, in terms of storm damage, New Orleans is rarely the places they film, it's usually further East where the storm damage is worse. When you watch the films, its rare you see areas with both flooding and massive storm surge/wind damage.

Because the initial storm damage hit to the East, the first response people headed in that direction, and logically so, those are the people whose homes are now piles of lumber. Many of these places are now dry, becayse they are not built in low-lying areas, but the devastation is immense.

Then the dams that hold back the water from the nearby lake (won't even try to spell it) and the ocean started to break, and New Orleans had their flood. So now rescue agencies are elsewhere, and the flood hits. The flood takes out all power, telephone poles/lines, generators, etc. The "second wave" of rescue agencies are now dealing w/ New Orleans and have no communication, cell towers and land lines are all out, and even satellite communication is difficult because re-charging batteries is impossible. the flood water makes moving supplies dangerous and difficult, and well the snipers aren't a piece of cake either.

The difference between New Orleans and the tsunami is that the Tsunami hit, created massive devastation, and then the water left, for the most part. This definielty is very similar to what has happened throughout the rest of the gulf coast. And from all reports, rescue and recovery operations they are well-managed. New Orleans is a whole new type of disaster.

And as for the comments about developing that certain area as heavlity as it is... to a point, I can't disagree with that sentiment, but bear in mind, when a majority of the area was developed, and when the levees and dams were first built, the area was at a higher elevation than it currently is. The ground has slowly settled over the last 100-150 years, constantly and very slowly sinking. Do I disagree with diverting money away from this area, sure, but more money and a better levee may or may not have saved the area from this disaster. Building a structure to ABSOLUTELY resist the force of a Category 4 or 5 hurricane is simply horrendouly difficult and almost impossible. The only way to completely remove the threat of flooding would be to abandon the area, and uprooting that many people is simply ot going to happen.

Well I've lost my point, and rambledd enough... I'm sure I'm sure I'll put more thoughts down later...

ITV news just reported that there could be up to 10,000 dead!

344463[/snapback]

To be honest, I expect when everything is said and done, it'll be higher than that.

I heard someone from the LA government estimating that in a "wosrt case" 250,000 to 300,000 people did not evaculate the New Orleans Area alone. From other estimtes I've heard, there are/were 40-50 thousand at the Superdome, and 10-20 thousand others at other staging areas, leaving about 200,000 still unaccounted for under the worst case "scenario" ceraintly many are on roof tops, or congregating elsewhere, but 10,000 I can see than number climbing very high. In New Orleans they will be finding bodies buried in rubble still under water. And that doesn even begin to count people killed in other areas of the devasation...

It truly is mind numbing...

344453[/snapback]

I agree, that is for the usual topics. Anyway, I too agree that there will be thousands dead and it will never be the same again. Some US senator is in trouble for saying that it's pointless to rebuild New Orleans because of the cost. He immediately got battered for it but I somewhat understand what he is saying.

Maybe the American Government might reconsider signing the Kyoto agreement about global warming.  With the waters in the Gulf the warmest on record this won't be the last hurricane this season.  The scientists were not listened too in the past but just maybe they might be heard now.  Its a tragedy so many people suffered because the powers that be didn't want to know.

344448[/snapback]

AS I have explained once before this disater has absoultley nothing to do with gloabl warming and even less with the tempretures of the sea in the gulf of mexico , read my above post,. this disaster was man -made but not to-do with global warming

It looks like the US has turned into some sort of Banana Republic!

Perhaps Bush should rule with a military junta, because about the only thing he knows how to do is wage war.

I get the feeling that by the end of his term, he'll be one of the most reviled presidents in recent history. How many people will have died because 30% of teh National Guard is in Iraq.

It just beggars belief. Nauseating to watch.

It looks like the US has turned into some sort of Banana Republic!

Perhaps Bush should rule with a military junta, because about the only thing he knows how to do is wage war.

I get the feeling that by the end of his term, he'll be one of the most reviled presidents in recent history. How many people will have died because 30% of teh National Guard is in Iraq.

It just beggars belief. Nauseating to watch.

344495[/snapback]

Using a natural disaster to have a pop at Bush is pathetic. Would you have made this point scoring post if Katrina had done a left and missed the populated areas?

What the **** would a US President from the other political grouping have done different?

What the **** special knowledge are you using to link Katrina to Iraq?? What the **** are you doing to help either situation, whilst slating someone you happen to disagree with politically? Why the **** don't you just wish the people of New Orleans well, and offer some support to those who are trying to help them.

Or just use a natural disaster to have a pop at Bush. I'm amazed you didn't manage to get Blair in there as well. Very poor.

Say it to my face next time we meet - otherwise calm down and sober up.

344513[/snapback]

I will be happy to slate you to your face. I should have done so a long time ago.

Calm / sober. Hahaha. Look at your own posting history, and the way you treat other posters.

Using a natural disaster to have a pop at Bush is pathetic.  Would you have made this point scoring post if Katrina had done a left and missed the populated areas?

What the **** would a US President from the other political grouping have done different?

What the **** special knowledge are you using to link Katrina to Iraq??  What the **** are you doing to help either situation, whilst slating someone you happen to disagree with politically?  Why the **** don't you just wish the people of New Orleans well, and offer some support to those who are trying to help them.

Or just use a natural disaster to have a pop at Bush.  I'm amazed you didn't manage to get Blair in there as well.  Very poor.

344509[/snapback]

Not sure whether I should respond or not, but shall have a go!

Would I have had a go at Bush if Katrina hadn't done any damage to a major city? No, of course I wouldn't.

But the problems New Orleans is facing (and no, I don't claim any in-depth knowledge, I just read the 'papers) have been exacerbated by a president who has committed his country to an almighty cock-up in Iraq, which has drained it of resources that might've in part prevented (funds for improved flood defences turned down because they were required for war budget) and alleviated (30% of Louisiana National Guard is currently in Iraq, with equipment that could've been used in the US).

I do wish the people of New Orleans well, you can take that for granted. I'm not pursuing a hidden agenda to criticise Bush no matter what happens, I just think he should carry a lot of the blame. Maybe when a few more facts emerge I might modify my opinion, but from my limited knowledge of the situation, I stand by what I said.

Perhaps we should drop you into Louisiana and get you to stop its residents slagging off Bush, and start baling the state out with buckets? Because it ain't just me who's slagging him off. He's even getting stick for taking too long to appear on TV and make a speech (such that it was).

Hope you have calmed down now. ph34r.gif

I watched a newscast about New Orleans last night and was disgusted.

A woman, staying in a hotel there I believe at some sort of convention, organised with others medical help for those injured nearby, raiding a nearby chemist for supplies. The sort of thing I would expect able-bodied and un-injured people to do in the circumstances.

However, next up was an interview with several able-bodied young men moaning about the situation and why wasn't x, y and z being organised for them. For heaven's sake, these guys should be out there offering help to others (plenty around needing it) and seeing what they could do not standing round whinging. mad.gif

Kinda got me thinking. If this hurricane had turned south and devasted Cuba, Haiti or Puerto Rico, would there have been the same kind of media coverage? Bit like Rwanda, or Congo. In the latter conflict, something like 5 million people have been killed. But I don't remember seeing any newsreels or column inches in the press. In other words, if it's the USA - we all have to be interested. Sorry to see people suffering, but others suffer in silence. No CBS, NBC or ABC for them.

More days go by and still confusion reigns. Bush makes a live broadcast (he woke up in time?) and promises 7,000 extra troups (well, 17,000 actually according to the White House press statement- nobody woke the Pres).

Quite apart from the abject misery, confusion and terror the citizens of America's south are living through (the devastation in Memphis is immense according to friends there but nobody is taking any notice), I think the damage to the American prestige and sense of well-being could be far greater than 9/11.

Back to the hapless "W Bush". His response to the greatest natural disaster in the USA since the San Francisco quake almost 100 years ago is:

Holiday

Holiday

Oh ###### better do something so divert Air Force one over New Orleans en route to Washington- photo opportunity of Pres looking dumb, er glum.

Plattitudes

Plattitudes

Do something

LIVE broadcast!!! Everyone knows Bush is recorded all the time so this is MEGA news. Media loves a story about the mechanics of the media so lots of positive coverage

Plattitude

Plattitudes (got the numbers wrong? 17,000 is too big a number for the Pres to comprehend)

Do something

Dodge the bank manager- the President of China can wait. Pres cancels meeting with President of China who has come to Washington to tell him to put his financial house in order to "tour" the south, meet a few photogenically chosen blacks and get Rove to spin that W went a lot closer to the grim reality of New Orleans than he dared in reality.

What's that? every man, women and child in the USA on average owes China $6,400 - ha ha, guess which bunch of slitty eyes will buy the US paper to fund the $10 billion Federal hurricane (couldn't organise a ######-up in a brewery) relief effort?

Meantime 53 governments around the world (including Tsunami-hit Sri Lanka) have offered cash and help to the USA. (Britain's medical teams sit at the airport).

US State Department says it is considering its response. Koffi Anan formally offers UN assistance to "Ambassador" Bolton.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.