BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Drugs

"Former England cricketer smuggled £140,000 worth of cocaine in fruit and vegetable cans"

049977.player.jpg

Chris Lewis, who was born in Guyana and claimed 93 wickets during his England Test career, allegedly smuggled cocaine worth more than £140,000 into the UK, hidden in cans of fruit and vegetable juice.

Jurors heard at his trial that he carried the drugs from St Lucia in a cricket bag. When questioned, Lewis said that he was bringing tins of fruit juice back for his mother which he had bought from a shop in St Lucia.

LINK HERE

"Former England cricketer smuggled £140,000 worth of cocaine in fruit and vegetable cans"

Chris Lewis, who was born in Guyana and claimed 93 wickets during his England Test career, allegedly smuggled cocaine worth more than £140,000 into the UK, hidden in cans of fruit and vegetable juice.

The man from Del Monte...

Just noticed the posts above with reference to opium in Afghanistan from February. If Opium crops were bought by the government it would be sourced into NHS for morphine, methadone etc. Apparently this would be a good cost saving exercise.

Noticed an article on BBC news - saying that the price of coke has gone up due to the number of police busts. Also it stated that most cocaine is actually less than 9% pure nowadays.

Also for anyone who takes it - it usually includes cockroach pesticide & animal worming tablets.

Noticed an article on BBC news - saying that the price of coke has gone up due to the number of police busts. Also it stated that most cocaine is actually less than 9% pure nowadays.

Also for anyone who takes it - it usually includes cockroach pesticide & animal worming tablets.

Do animal worming tablets also work on humans? I am hoping to kill two birds with one stone here.

I read it as prices staying the same on the street but for a kilo of raw price is up, therefore quality is down as its bashed more to squeeze profit margin. Either way it shows a lot of people are paying a lot of money to snort random chemicals up their nose.

Edited by Napoleon

Replace usually with infrequently and you may be onto something.

Hmmm. Nextright, a right wing American think tank/pressure group has started working on how to make the Republican Party electable again by breakingout of its elderly/white/rural/southern ghetto.

Of it's ten recommendations, number one is:

1. Legalize Drugs - You have turned a corner on this issue. All evidence and economics indicates that prohibiting anything for which there is a demand causes black markets. The black markets in drugs mean the costs of doing business are higher—but that means so too are the profits. These profits (and turf) are protected violently by gangs and drug cartels. Gang culture is built around said profits. Remove the profits through legal competition and the gangs fade away eventually (just as they did after alcohol prohibition was repealed). Yes, there will be secondary social costs. Yes there will still be petty crime due to addicts—despite lower-cost drugs. But you can offset those social costs by taxing the product to build rehabilitation centers, which are preferable to building more prisons and morgues. You get credibility points for admitting that people have a right to do what they like with their bodies. Freedom is freedom, warts ‘n’ all.

• 4 weeks later...

As far as I can make out, the USA has very hard laws against drugs, or at least there was a move in that direction during the 1990's with Newt Gingrich leading the way. Some federal propsals included life inprisonment (or maybe even the death penalty) for people who deal weed, as well as the harder stuff but I don't think that came about. Add to that Plan Colombia which was hijacked by the DEA to concentrate on using vast amounts of pesticides and military hardware to destroy cocaine crops and you can say that the USA have been pretty hard. We're not talking Arab levels of droconian laws, but very far from the Amsterdam attitude.

By the way Plan Colombia is/was an environmental disaster that has achieved nowt.

Do they conduct the 'softly softly, prosecute the dealer not the user' approach over there like they do here?

No, they don't. They conducted the "come down on everyone extremely hard" approach - be it dealer or user.

Just being caught in poccession in the States can, and does, lead to huge penalties - loss of benefits for life, a mandatory life obligation to tell an employer about past drug offences (they don't insist on the same thing for offences like rape or murder bizarrely).

From the 80's onwards the US took an extremely hard approach to drug enforcement and this obviously hasn't worked.

I'd be extremely surprised if they changed tact though.

No, they don't. They conducted the "come down on everyone extremely hard" approach - be it dealer or user.

Just being caught in poccession in the States can, and does, lead to huge penalties - loss of benefits for life, a mandatory life obligation to tell an employer about past drug offences (they don't insist on the same thing for offences like rape or murder bizarrely).

From the 80's onwards the US took an extremely hard approach to drug enforcement and this obviously hasn't worked.

I'd be extremely surprised if they changed tact though.

Actually, you have to tell your prospective employers about any felony convictions.

Actually, you have to tell your prospective employers about any felony convictions.

I'll be honest I got my info from a Bill Bryson book. Whilst he refreshingly has a pro drugs slant, that may have affect his liberal application of the truth.

Portugal decriminalised all drugs (I believe) the doom mongers predicted chaos, yet drug use and crime (not solely "drug" crimes) have fallen.

An EU country leading the way....

Edited by BuckyRover

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.