BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Have We Just Seen The New Maradona?

tucker

Just wanted to second this sentiment. Some of the antics that have permeated into the game are just bile-inducing. I'm looking forward to the day when somebody can actually catch that puff Ronaldo from Utd and give him something that he doesn't need to act out.

386010[/snapback]

Agreed. I think it was andy82 who pointed out that when somebody is really really injured they do not roll around like they've been shot, as Smith and countless others have proven.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with that 'Onepost'. I dont wish anything bad on players but i would love to see someone flatten him - Let the Axe have a go the next time we play them!

386013[/snapback]

Before I get jumped on, I'd rather see him change his ways, but since that appears to be unlikely then a good old-fashioned deadleg delivered regularly with spite and guile will suffice............

Edited by OnePost

I think Barcelona have got probably the best midfield pairing in Europe at the moment - Messi and Deco. Both very young, supremely talented and if they stay together, they will win everything in sight for Barca for years to come.

Mourinho won't be interested in buying them on principal now, so good luck to them.

Well, their midfield is actually Deco and Motta, plus Edmilson. Or Xavi and Van Bommel + Deco when everyone's fit I believe.. the triangle of Eto'o/Larsson+Ronaldinho+Messi up front though, one of a kind !

I must say I'm impressed with Deco over the last few months.. he has changed from a playmaker to an allround midfielder, doing a lot of hard work. Very impressive by Barcelona, who's managed to replace the ever-present Xavi - would like to see Chelsea do the same with Lampard or Terry tbh..!

Messi tonight for Barcelona, in my opinion was incredible. He was the main threat for Barca tonight and at 18 looks an incredible prospect.

Lots of very talented Argentinian players have been cripled with the 'new Maradona' tag, and perhaps it is utterly unrealistic to expect there to be another player like him, but the guy looks like he could be something special.

385894[/snapback]

Messi is the New 'New Maradona', whereas Carlos Tevez and D'Alessandro are two of the old 'new Maradonas'

Interesting to see how worked up people are getting in here about play acting.

Savage has been arguably the worst offender in the Premiership this year, some of his antics have been embarrassing. Hardly anyone has condemed him though, instead we excuse it with the other things he brings to the team.

It's that very attitude (identical at every club I might add) which is keeping things like that in the game. Fans are happy enough to take the moral high ground when other clubs' players cheat, but when it's one of their own it's excusable.

If we genuinely want it erradicated from our game then we can't have it both ways. It would take a brave set of supporters to set the balling rolling and fiercely criticise one of their own for cheating, but unless it happens players will continue to play act in order to help their team win.

We had the same type of biased call here in the US on ESPN as well. I was stunned to hear Tommy Smythe screaming how it can't be a red after watch Del Horno run by the ball to have a go at him for the third time in twenty minutes.

Messi was phenomenal in the u-17's a few years ago, but his progress has been stunning. Grabbing a starting slot on that side is a serious accomplishment at any age.

Savage has been arguably the worst offender in the Premiership this year, some of his antics have been embarrassing.  Hardly anyone has condemed him though, instead we excuse it with the other things he brings to the team.

It's that very attitude (identical at every club I might add) which is keeping things like that in the game.  Fans are happy enough to take the moral high ground when other clubs' players cheat, but when it's one of their own it's excusable.

386051[/snapback]

Not only is Savage's play-acting embarrassing it is also fairly pathetic and unconvincing. There's no excuse, it's inexcusable and in fact I condemn him for it.

I was disappointed to discover that we were interested in him. I was embarrassed as a Rovers fan by the circus that accompanied his arrival ("I want to live nearer my family"....what a load of sh!t). I thought we paid way over the odds for him and he's not done much yet to justify the outlay.

His contribution to the side (bar the flick for Bentley's hattrick goal) is at best one dimensional. For me this is the only real opportunity for criticism that can be levelled at Hughes.

Edited by OnePost

I must say I'm impressed with Deco over the last few months.. he has changed from a playmaker to an allround midfielder, doing a lot of hard work. Very impressive by Barcelona, who's managed to replace the ever-present Xavi - would like to see Chelsea do the same with Lampard or Terry tbh..!

386044[/snapback]

He already did that in FC Porto and for Portugal as well.

Messi's an awesome talent. He and Riquelme will form a frightening partnership in the summer. The prodigiously talented Giuly can't get a look in a the Nou Camp due to this kid's presence. Superstar in the making.

386137[/snapback]

Just a shame football plays second fiddle to their acting skills.

Champions league lol, you can shove it.

Champions league lol, you can shove it.

386140[/snapback]

Ridiculous, have you seen Barcelona this season?? No wonder Messi falls down hard, he's 5ft tall, and Del Horno had three bad challenges in five minutes. If he hadn't jumped in the red card-situation, Del Horno would have gone in with his feet again. With that pace, in that situation, a hit to his feet would have been horrible.

Ridiculous, have you seen Barcelona this season?? No wonder Messi falls down hard, he's 5ft tall, and Del Horno had three bad challenges in five minutes. If he hadn't jumped in the red card-situation, Del Horno would have gone in with his feet again. With that pace, in that situation, a hit to his feet would have been horrible.

386143[/snapback]

Apply that to the whole Barcalona team too.

The point is, it's not the game I played, a game for men.

It's now a game for cheats and the best cheats win.

Why are the crowds in this country down for euro games? People like me, that can remember proper football, will not pay to watch cheating @#/?.

Fair enough, we want two different kinds of football then I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I love some tough tackles, and the Baros/Diouf playacting is imo just plain dishonest. However, skipping a potentially careerthreatening challenge isnt't..

386171[/snapback]

rolling around, stopping, then rolling some more is

However Del Horno did exactly the same trying to avoid the card.

So if Micheal Owen falls over in the penalty area to win the penalty that wins England the World cup, at the expense of the Argentinians or the Germans Aggyblue will be demanding that we give the cup back? I doubt it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.