BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Italian Refereeing Scandal

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing related to scandal/back handers suprises me when it comes to Italian football, its been going on for years.

Refs are unbiased but they will do pretty much anything for money like a person on the street would.

Aren't Juve being run close to the wire for the Scudetto and need a result to guarentee the title? If so it really wouldn't suprise me one bit if Juve were trying to get a favourite ref to officiate.

The Italians Government elections weren't even legit, what makes anyone think that their football league is different?

Great to see these guys finally get caught, and hopefully this will be the start of a downfall for Juve. Moggi isn't exactly a popular man outside Turin, and as a mildly addicted Roma-supporter I am glad to see the back of him. (interestingly enough, his son was nearly appointed in a high-placed position for Roma, handling transfers.. which would obviously mean Chivu, de Rossi, Mexes and Mancini all closing in on a Juve deal - not going to happen now!)

Oh, and they've replaced Berlusconi - now tap his phones next please biggrin.gif

Not really Serie A without a scandal is it?

407317[/snapback]

Well, depends what you mean with "scandal".. this is a step in the right direction the way I see it - hopefully they can make some progress in the stands aswell, like they have in England.

The latest breaking story is that there are tapes of Moggi Snr coaching Cannavaro and Ibramovich on how to throw sickies, turn up late and say rude and racist things about fellow-players to ease their way out of Inter and Ajax respectively.

No doubt the lawyers of those two clubs are preparing their cases as I write this.

Juve managed to attract a sub-1,000 crowd to an Italian cup match if I remember correctly. Will anybody miss them given the Agnelli family are distancing themselves quicker than a Ferrari?

I guess Serie D Nord beckons- at least the true club of Turin, Torino will be top dogs again in the Capital of Savoie. Even Juve only drop to Serie B, the financial hit is estimated at around £80m even if they win promotion and CL qualification in successive seasons.

Edited by philipl

Well now the season is infact over, and Juve has won the Scudetto. Or have they?

Fiorentina clinching that last CL spot after Luca Toni's 31th goal for the season, whilst Roma has to settle for 5th. We'll might see Roma in the Champions League next year anyway though, since they're one of the few top clubs NOT involved in this scandal.

Hard to predict what will happen now, it will be hard to punish teams with the corruption linking all the way into the Italian football association. Then there's the question, should the club Juventus be punished for the crimes of individuals? I think so yes, Moggi was after all the president, and TWO MONTHS of tapping his phone was enough to dig up all this - what Moggi has achieved the remaining twelve years as president of Juventus.. well, maybe we will know one day.

I have my thoughts on Giulliano and Berlusconi in AC Milan aswell, but obviously not a lot of proof to build my accusations on - so I'll let it go for now smile.gif

More Juve players in the betting investigation. Very quiet in Malta- last year when Juve won the scudetto, the Juve supporters were out in force car cading but this time it seems they know something's up.

That spotless politician/TV magnate/AC owner Berlusconi has just demanded the last two titles be returned to their rightful owner- AC Milan rolleyes.gif

Edited by philipl

All very fast moving. The Head of the AIA- the Italian Refs Federation has stepped down whilst Moggi is not only a member of the Juve board that resigned en bloc, he has said that tomorrow is his last day as GM of Juve. Cappello has said he'll stick by Juve.

Lazio fans demonstrated today their loyalty to the club by saying they will follow them in Serie B next season.

Inter's Mancini reckons its all been a fix since 2001.

Would absolutely love it if Juve were demoted AND their 2 last Scudettos withdrawn biggrin.gif

I bet they couldnt tap Berlusconis phone as he has been the prime minister of Italy as well. Would be a bit unlikely. Now that he isn't though, there should be every reason to investigate his dodgy persona. Hopefully get rid of the shabby red team as well.

Won't be as much pleasure in seeing the Scudettos withdrawn from Juve imo, as long as they're given out to the second best cheaters, Milan.

Will not surprise me if no one is demoted to Serie B/C/D tbh, there's just too many big clubs and too many big names involved. Would love to be wrong though, even if the most important thing here is setting a standard and removing these bad influences.

G14 aren't going to be happy with one or more of their top teams not even in the top division!! They'll be moaning about it soon.

I think they should just give the league to Inter Milan smile.gif

laugh.gif Hadn't thought about that- G14 membership is withdrawn if a club gets relegated if I remember correctly. Will there be any Italian members left?

The BBC World Service had a nice phrase in its report this morning: "This isn't match fixing, it's season fixing".

The Juve fans also expect to be demoted and were angry because they claimed they would have won anyway without the hand in the marmalade.

As for Berlusconi,the delay in his resignation as PM after electoral defeat was primarilly used to try to negotiate a deal with the prosecutors. Nobody but nobody sees AC as anything but utterly DC.

They might as well give the last ten Scudettos to Inter on the grounds that they are so incompetent.

I wonder where Collina was/is in all this? Would be a blow to football's image if he was involved but difficult to see how he could not be. Actually, he comes out of this account in The Times as completely clean>

"You are the Boss- you own Serie A."

Ten examples given of Moggi controlling Italian football. If just one were correct, Serie A is reduced to a sick joke.

Edited by philipl

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.