BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

World Cup Moments

greggyk

Thought it would be interesting to hear peoples memories from previous world cup especially from you oldies.

I myself have only overseen 2 World Cups (being born in 1987 and not being old enough to remember the 1990 WC), but here are a few of mine.

1998-

- England beating Tunisia when in year 5 me and a few of my mates being the only ones in the year who were allowed to watch the match during lesson time with the year above.

-Sol Cambells run from his own box to the other end against Columbia

-Michael Owen scoring that fantastic goal against Argentina

- and being to nervous to watch the penalty shoot-out against them. Resulting in me sitting outside in the garden waiting to hear the cries of joy from inside.....................of course they never came :( awwww

-watching England with a bowl of cerial most of the time :angry:

-david beckhams scoring the penalty while at a mates house as we (as well as the builders outside listening to the game on the radio), danced around the street

- and losing to Brazil, watching in the school hall with all the plastic paddies cheering for Brazil. Wow- there was a lot of violence that day!

So, whats yours.............

Remember Italia 90 as I was in Italy on holiday while the WC was on and I watched the England Germany game in the hotel with a load of Germans.

I was in hospital for the 2002 WC

Can't remember the first couple games as I was out of it but I remember watching the England Argentina match from my hospital bed.

I had a deprived childhood. My father is a sports journalist and a big football fan and my brother and I railed against it to a certain degree. Up until the age of 10 I had no interest whatsoever in the game. I started following Rovers at the end of 1993/94 yet I had little concept of the World Cup. Consequently I remember almost nothing of that year's tournament save for Ireland's meagre participation and the final (which my dad, my brother and I stayed up late to watch while on holiday in France).

A lot can change in four years. By the time France 98 rolled round I was a fully fledged football geek-watching it, playing it, memorising it. I watched almost every game (minus for the couple that were on during school hours & the final group games that were played in tandem).

My memories of the 1998 World Cup:

-The opening game between Brazil and Scotland. It was actually rubbish but the hype and excitment was unbelievable. The hysteria surrounding Ronaldo will certainly effect a 14 year old and I was in awe of the guy (I still rate him).

-Mustapha Hadji's performance in the second game of the tournament; a 2-2 draw with the dreary Norwegians.

-The Brazilians' destruction of Morocco in Nantes. Ronaldo scored an absolute pearler. They looked as if they'd stroll the whole thing.

-The French opener against South Africa. I was struck by how bad the Frogs were.

-Anderton's belter and Beckham's free-kick, both against Columbia.

-The Morocco keeper (Benzekri) wearing trousers. And he was sh*t.

-Baggio redeeming himself against Chile and the brilliant perfomance of the much hyped Marcelo Salas in the same game.

-The Brazilians losing to Norway (somehow). The realisation that this Denilson chap was really rubbish.

-Chilavert taking freekicks :blink:.

-Spain beating Bulgaria 6-1 and still going home early.

-Bergkamp's masterpiece against the Argies.

-Ronaldo's second round dismantling of a quality Chilean side in Paris.

-The Croations blowing away the opposition.

-The abject crapness of the Germans.

-Owen's wonder goal against Argentina. Then England went out.

-France's semi-final against Croatia. Lilian Thuram scores two goals to put the French in the final.

-Brazil scraping through on penalties against the Dutch. Ronaldo and friends really weren't all they were cracked up to be.

-The awesome French triumph, spear-headed (pun intended) by the great Zizou.

By the time Japan and Korea 2002 started I was doing my A-Levels. I chose France-Senegal (the opening match) over a cosy seat in the deserted library with the only girl I ever really fancied in school (she broke my heart but that's a very long story :blink:). It was a good game and a huge shock, reminiscent of Cameroon's amazing victory over the dirty Argies at Italia 90.

My memories of this one:

-Just how bloody good the Senegalese team was.

-Rivaldo's theatrics after our very own Hakan Unsal kicked the ball at him.

-An outrageously talented Portugal team's determination to self-destruct (including a loss to country whose citizens call the sport 'soccer').

-Edmilson's spectacular over-head against a decent Costa Rican side in one of the best games of the tournament.

-The Saudis getting mauled 8-0 by Germany.

-The French. WTF!? :blink:

-Matt Holland's scorcher against Cameroon.

-Robbie Keane's last minute beauty against the Germans.

-Our thumping of Saudi Arabia.

-Our exit (gloriously Irish).

-England's exit (glorious)

-Ronaldinho's wonder goal in the same game.

-The South Koreans' march to the semis.

-Brazil restoring the rightful balance.

-Ronaldo being fat, unfit and still the best player in it.

Edited by Rovermatt

First world cup I remember watching avidly was italia 90 as a consequence I can only really remember the england games.....

England playing pretty rubbish in the group stages but still managing to qualify for the second round

David platts great winner in the last minute of extra time against Belgium in the second round

Cameroon outplaying England for most of the quarter final only for England to get a bit lucky with a dodgy penalty decision

Linekers equaliser against W Germany in the semi. We should have won that game!

gazzas tears in the same game

Pearce missing THAT penalty!

Just how the hell did the Argies get to the final again!

The italians being knocked out by Argentina in the other semi. Lucky ********!

The Argies showing their true colours in the final and having 2 men sent off

We would have won this tournament if England had reached the Final.

Apparantly there was a World Cup in 94 as well. The Brazilians won it. Moving on......

Bergkamps winner against The Argies

How awful were the Germans!

Owens wonder goal

Beckams sending off

Shearers elbow costing us a goal. Grrrrrrr!

France totally outplaying Brazil in the final

Blancs sending off against croatia meaning he missed the final. Bartez the clown still kissing his bonce in it.

Spain being true to form and going out early. Only to then go and win their next game 6-1. Bottlers!

Hoddle dropping Becks for the first 2 games and then he scores a great free kick against the Columbians

Ireland nearly Humiliating spain

South Korea robbing Spain in the quarter finals

France were awful

Beckham pulling out of that challenge against Brazil!

Ronaldihnos goal against England. I'll settle this now - he didn't mean it :P

Beckham scoring the penalty against the argies. For a split second the pub I was in had a cloud of beer!

The south Koreans fluking there way to the Semis

The turks were pretty good!

How the hell did the Germans reach the final. Luck gits!

Hakan Unsals "Sending off" against Brazil. Rivaldo showing what a cheating swine he was by collpasing holding his head when the ball hit his knee ffs!

By far the best games I have seen came in Spain 82. The Italy-Brazil quarter final and the France-Germany semi. Pure drama.

This was the best WC I can remember and the Italy-Brazil match the best game ever. Other classics were every Argentina game in 78, Maradona's goals v England in 86, England v Germany semi in 90 to name a few. England have been involved in plenty of good games in my memory but usually end up losing them unfortunately.

greggyk i am probably the same age as you and have the same memories, owens run and goal against argentina was brilliant which if i were a neutral would haave been a fantastic game to watch, so much drama never knowing who was going to score next.

Another memory would be last world cup when in the group stages germany absolutly thrashed arabia, with new boy klien (sp) getting a hat full, not a great match but just one that stands out because you couldn't believe how bad arabia was.

Finally that game in the morning against brazil, so many different emotions, from going one nil up against the most amazing team and then they started playing and we were slowly pushed out of the game by the class of the forwards and svens poor tactics, just felt so helpless to stop the might of brazil.

:tu: good memories :tu:

Edited by jobo380

1982 final between Italy and West Germany, Altobellis third with about ten minutes to go. It virtually sealed the win for the Azuri, and the image of Altobelli running towards the camera, shaking his hands/fists, screaming and tears flowing from his eyes. Still send shivers down my spine now as I type.

30th July 1966 sat in our living room with Mum, Dad and little sister. None of whom had any real interest in footie. Mum in HER chair in the corner, Dad in HIS chair by the door, me and sister on the floor. Telly in the corner by the French window (whoooo!!), sunshine on the lawn outside, grey and white sceeen. The best ever World Cup moment, I had just turned 12, I can still see the room now.

Grandad and Uncle may have been there, not sure if they had TV.

Dad visiting the Esso garage at the top of our road every day to get those medals. He had a deal with the bloke who served you, Yes filled your tank up; anyone who didn't want their medal we got them!!!! It was good, better than 2006 I can tell you.

It comes close to Shearer on VE Day, Anfield '95, Cardiff, Preston, FMC '87, close but not quite that close.

The whole Italia '90 was a revelation for me. Although for single best moment it has to be Norway beating Brazil in Marseille 1998. 1-0 down with about 15 minutes to go we came back and won 2-1 to go through to the second phase. A first for little ol' Norway. We were only just narrowly beaten by Spain too, in the next round.

Saw the game Brazil vs Bulgaria at Goodison Park 1966.

Brazil won 2-0 with goals from Pele and Garrincha. Just to be there and be able to say that I've seen Pele play in the world cup is brilliant.

That world cup saw Pele and the Brazilians pretty much literally "kicked out" of the comp. Referreeing standards were poor then.

Oh, and Bulgaria had a superb centre forward called Albert, I think.

1982 final between Italy and West Germany, Altobellis third with about ten minutes to go. It virtually sealed the win for the Azuri, and the image of Altobelli running towards the camera, shaking his hands/fists, screaming and tears flowing from his eyes. Still send shivers down my spine now as I type.

Sorry to be anal Ozzie, but it was Marco Tardelli :tu:

I don't know why, but I will forever remember Leonardo's stupid sending off against USA in the '94 WC. And he was bossing the game up until that point too.

And no-one has ever answered me on this, but when the Germans got that penalty in WC '90, although it was a rubbish penalty, in those disgraceful scenes by the Argentenian players. One of their players was definitely sent-off, but I specifically recall Maradonna being shown the red card. Was he or wasn't he sent off? Because it always seems to be glossed over... as if it was an incident to be erased from the portfolio of the "Beautiful game".

Edited by Shaddy

Our Tom who is having the time of his life and clearly feels all his Christmases have come at once. Wall to wall footie and no complaints from his parents about too much TV! Tom's supporting a variety of teams, in priority:

England

followed by, on the day, whoever is playing in

Blue

Red

Yellow

White

Though yesterday, which should have been Japan, he spotted Neil and Emerton and swiftly changed allegiance to Australia!

The whole Italia '90 was a revelation for me. Although for single best moment it has to be Norway beating Brazil in Marseille 1998. 1-0 down with about 15 minutes to go we came back and won 2-1 to go through to the second phase. A first for little ol' Norway. We were only just narrowly beaten by Spain too, in the next round.

Spain went out in the first round in 1998.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.