BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Family Days Out

just followed the advise off some scallies in liverpool who told me to take my kids to THE CROCKY TRAIL @ chester.....wow what a day weve had ,no health and safety just slides ,traps ,wonky bridges,mud,swings ,roundabouts that throw you off,water pistols.etc

what a day 7 quid each 10/10

get down there!!!!!!!!!!

For a cheap day out and the chance to act like a kid you might want to visit Brimham Rocks in North Yorkshire. The website doesn't do it justice. Anyway, I went there a few times as a kid and absolutely loved it. Last summer I was doing the dutiful uncle bit and took some of the younger members of the Sidders clan in the hope they would enjoy it as much as I did. I was a bit nervous as I was thinking that it might not have been as good as I'd remembered and these kids were raised on Play Stations and all that hi-tech nonsense. Anyway, they loved it and we spent several very happy hours clambering up huge natural rock formations with not a care for health and safety regulations.

The kids showed off their climbing skills (one of my nephews climbed one of the higher stacks that had everyone else stumped), while I enjoyed act like a 12 year old again. Then again, I act like that for a fair proportion of the time anyway...

It's a bit of a trek (near Harrogate) but all it costs is the price of petrol and a few quid for the pay and display car park. You can stay there as long as you like. Stump Cross Caverns is also round that way so it's easy to combine the two.

Edited by Cheeky Sidders

A lot depends on how old your kids are, but:

Trentham Gardens at Stoke is on our list for this summer, lots of people talking about how good the Monkey Walk is.

FREE - St Annes beach on the quiet section between Lytham and Pontins. Went about 10 days ago, picnic, beach cricket, frizbee, footie, paddling, kites. Beach almost empty, no hassle, no cokes and ice creams. Cost nothing but petrol and everyone had a great time.

FREE - Hardcastle Craggs, Hebden Bridge. Picnic, walks, rock scrambling. Cotton mill

Lancaster - Duke's Theatre in the Park, this year Tom Sawyer. Open air theater located all around the park. Bloody brilliant.

Castle Howard, Leeds adventure playground plus the usual historic stuff

Chatsworth, great adventure playground plus the usual

Harewood House - ditto

Delamere Forest - Go-ape - MUST book

Chester Zoo - £50 for 4, plan to go again this summer

Halifax - Eureka! Hands on museum, about £7, brilliant

Manchester - Imperial War Museum, The Museum of Science and Industry

York - the Minster, Jorvik Centre, ghost tour. Lived in York for five years, great city.

Fountains Abbey - Harrogate

and if all else fails put some lead in your pencil here :)

Kids love trains, so we're off to try the Settle-Carlisle route on Sunday. Train from Bamber Bridge direct; return costing £35.40 for 3 adults 2 children if you have a family railcard (£20). Cost of the trip would be £55 without railcard so worth buying the railcard then you've got it for further trips. There are lots of trains doing these trips, all go through Blackburn - mostly from Leeds - and on Sundays there are guided walks from the various stations along the line.

Keep a lookout for country shows and fairs etc. Went up to Trawden near Colne intending to go for a good healthy walk on Sunday, found they had a garden and scarecrow festival on. 91 displays in various parts of the village based this year on a musical theme. There's a country show up in Trawden this coming Sunday.

Edited by roversmum

There's a country show up in Trawden this coming Sunday.

............and if you happen to be in the area pop along to the Pendle Bike Fest On the Sunday you can laugh at me returning from this 160 km Dad's day out which starts and finishes at Pendle Leisure Centre, Colne. I'll be the sweaty one in blue.

Go to Formby and have a look at the red squirrels (don't start) at The National Trust site

here

Wonder at the little scousers as they feed the red squirrels bags of peanuts. Go soon before the poor sods are wiped out by disease transmitted by the grey variety. (That's the reds not the little scousers)

Malham's good too, gettable from Blackburn in a car within an hour.

here

Abbey

Try Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Can't remember the exact website, but if you book in advance you can get all day tickets for £15 and if you get about three you get the fourth one free, (I think)

Whereas if you go on the day, it costs about £30 for the all day ticket.

Decent day out on the rides anyway.

my eldest wont do big rides and my youngest would but is to small ....he goes mad when he fails to reach the height.....

took em to the sandcastle ..awsome new cride master blaster i ended up with my shorts round my ankles ..cue the p$$$$$ take :P

• 4 weeks later...

just followed the advise off some scallies in liverpool who told me to take my kids to THE CROCKY TRAIL @ chester.....wow what a day weve had ,no health and safety just slides ,traps ,wonky bridges,mud,swings ,roundabouts that throw you off,water pistols.etc

what a day 7 quid each 10/10

get down there!!!!!!!!!!

Been there today. Just don't put your kids in anything that you don't want to throw away. Muddy & messy & wonderful.

http://www.crockytrail.co.uk/

Been there today. Just don't put your kids in anything that you don't want to throw away. Muddy & messy & wonderful.

http://www.crockytrail.co.uk/

What age range is this aimed at? Would it be ok for a 4 and 2 year old?

We had a trip to Bolton Abbey yesterday to see Thomas the Tank Engine and friends. It would have been a good day out if the weather hadn't spoilt it.

What age range is this aimed at? Would it be ok for a 4 and 2 year old?

Probably OK for a four year old who likes to get completely muddy. A bit daunting for a two year old. Maybe with accompanying parental mudinesss it will be OK.

Don't wear anything that cannot be washed or thrown out. Take clean clothes to change into afterwards

I went round with my new waterproof/breathable £80 jacket and cringed all the way. (Oooh big girl's blouse)

Not surprised that Abbey recommended this place. It's an Abbey big splat, big fun, great for kids, mud, mud, more mud. Did I mention mud?

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Had a great afternoon at http://www.lakelandmaze.co.uk/ on Saturday. Kep the kids occupied for hours. Don't believe the "you should complete this in 2 hours" stuff!!!!

............and you can go here afterwards!!! Hmmmm

Excellent cheap day out, in the fresh air

Edited by Paul

The Blue Planet Aquarium at Ellesmere Port

here

It's a bit of a wallet-emptier as you go in (£20 for me and the daughter) but if you can take your time and get the kids to take it slow and read the stuff next the really well presented aquariums its well worth the money. If they just want to run past everything going "seen that, seen that" then you're on a loser.

The otters are really good.

If the kids are under about 8 years old the Aquarium Theatre presentation will be spot on.

As with all these places, avoid the burgers & nuggets & chips in the plastic cafe. Its the usual over-priced crap.

Just beware the Scouse granny going to the five year old when the former sees a clown fish "Oooh look Kylie - it's Doooooooooriiieee"

Kill maim destroy.

• 1 month later...

went to lightwater valley on saturday..fantastic value £58 for a family of four ticket,my eldest is timid but persuaded him on quite a few rides he screamed and called me but went on most a second time ..my youngest doesnt give a monkeys about anything went on every ride but the eagles claw frightened him....top day out not as much choice as alton towers but perfect for 9-11 years.

• 9 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.