BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Euro Bonus

I'm not technically minded enough to understand this stuff but my uneducated guess is that the technology that Rovers have isn't quite up to this (or if it is, the risk of mass malfunction on a matchday isn't worth taking).

People familiar with Transport for London's Oystercard may have seen something similar - if you top up your balance remotely (ie online), you can't go straight onto the transport network and use the new cash. You have to first nominate a location where you will physically go to a ticket machine and complete the top up.

Again a presumption - it's not practical to intsall every turnstile at Ewood (or in London, every tube access gate, tram and bus) with the technology which processes changes to the status of every single smartcard. The access points must just have basic "yes/no" functionality.

Functionality which changes the status of smartcards is probably hugely expensive relative to technology which simply reads them (perhaps like DVD players vs DVD recorders but on a bigger scale) - so it's not viable to change the readers which are currently on the turnstiles.

So I'm sure Rovers are correct to play safe with paper tickets for cup games for now.

Tris, when this new system was introduced it was hailed as exactly this, capable of simply being activated or deactivated for ST Holders.

The original plan was to trial it for "a period" and then to roll out the extra features. I had thought that the Saltzberg match was the start of the extra usage.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To date I haven't met a single person who knows about this promotion.

Was with someone at the reserves last night and he didnt know about any of the cheep ticket matches.

Cheeky sod now wants lift for himself, his mate and his lad.

Tris, when this new system was introduced it was hailed as exactly this, capable of simply being activated or deactivated for ST Holders.

The original plan was to trial it for "a period" and then to roll out the extra features. I had thought that the Saltzberg match was the start of the extra usage.

Thing is, Salzburg was free for all ST holders so no alteration was needed to any of the smartcards. The turnstiles simply allowed all ST holders in to the ground.

For the UEFA + league cup games it isn't that simple, because it's down to who has paid and who hasn't. Those who have paid would need to get their smartcards updated before going to the turnstiles ... ... (and then read previous post as to why that can't happen instantly at the gate).

Was with someone at the reserves last night and he didnt know about any of the cheep ticket matches.

Talking to an 'occasional Rover' today and he had no idea about the Bolton game being £15,his responce was still 'well the pubs will be showing it' :blink:

I also sadly agree that the ground will be far from full against Notlob.......the apathy is truly astounding.

To date I haven't met a single person who knows about this promotion. My next door but one neighbour is a part-time Bolton fan and always goes to the home and away games against Rovers. He doesn't even know the game is on Sunday!!

The Telegraph should have publicised this more as although the cheap Bolton tickets were mentioned on their website I don't think it has actually been in the paper. This should have been a big story and I'm suprised it hasn't been covered in the manner it deserves. If I was John Williams I'd be:

A. A lot richer than I am now

B. Have a strange new gray 'tache

and C. Be straight on the phone to the LET (or LT as it is now) demanding why the paper hasn't been shouting this from the rooftops.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

The Telegraph should have publicised this more as although the cheap Bolton tickets were mentioned on their website I don't think it has actually been in the paper. This should have been a big story and I'm suprised it hasn't been covered in the manner it deserves. If I was John Williams I'd be:

A. A lot richer than I am now

B. Have a strange new gray 'tache

and C. Be straight on the phone to the LET (or LT as it is now) demanding why the paper hasn't been shouting this from the rooftops.

Thank God for the internet or no one would know about it. I'm 99% sure that it hasn't been mentioned in the Telegraph at all until last night.

So two things: -

1. This was first announced on rovers.co.uk. on October 4th. October 16th: "Simon Williams (surely no relation to Chairman Williams?) Head of Sales and Marketing at Rovers" (I didn't even know we had a Head of Sales and Marketing to be honest, but then again I've not gone out of my way to look) announced in the paper that if anyone has the same full name as one of our players they can have two tickets for free. The article on the bottom of the back page goes on to mention that tickets are £15 for adults and £5 concessions.

2. Why hasn't the Telegraph bigged this up before now? Because it's a good news story? Because it goes against the tide of what other Premier League clubs are doing? Because it shows Rovers in a good light? This should have been on the front page way before now. "ROVERS SEIZE THE INITIATIVE", "ROVERS LISTEN TO THEIR FANS", "ROVERS BUCK THE TREND". The paper is quick enough to put us on the front page when it's a bad news story (e.g. TV is killing us) surely this warranted similar coverage?

Maybe a mass email to the LET newsdesk, letting them know what a shower of sh1te they are? :huh:

...Afterall, aren`t they "supposed" to be a local paper, addressing local issues? supporting local stuff? :huh:

Here`s the email addy for the newsdesk...

let_editorial@lancashire.newsquest.co.uk

Mail to LET

Dear, sir/madam

Following comments posted on the BRFCS website, I am writing to express my dissapointment that our local newspaper has not "shouted from the rooftops" the efforts BRFC have made to LISTEN to the fans. The is news and worthy news, as not often these days do the customers get to directly influence product pricing, by means other than choosing to buy or not.

Investigate this and SHOUT IT OUT!

Regards

"Simon Williams (surely no relation to Chairman Williams?) Head of Sales and Marketing at Rovers"

Surely not the one and same idiot who took over the distribution of the blues bar half time passes, which weren't sent out on time and had to be collected from the bar, which went up £10 from last season and dont even allow members priority to get in before the game!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.