BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes Demands Video Technology

Mr. E

So, Jack (and congrats on a post on the footy board ), video replays might not mean having hundreds of cameras as this shows.

Thanks. I haven't seen the Blackburn End angle, only the one from Jack Walker stand.

honest fairplay in the game?

When you can't even get fairplay at amateur level what chance do you have at the top. With players diving and staying down to stop the opposition attacking there has to be some kind of help for the ref.

This is a step in the right direction and then who knows in the future.

From BBC:

The sooner this gets introduced, the better. I was firmly against technology in football too before, but enough is enough. I don't care about "the flow of the game" anymore, and if it must work like the NFL where they take 10 mins to actually reach a decision, then so be it. That way they won't get to hide behind the excuse that "they didn't see it very well" and had to "make a tough decision on spot". For once, they'll have to actually do their real job and that is insure fairness, equality and consistency.

It won't happen immediately obviously, but maybe try it out for a while in the lower leagues, and if it really is successful it should go into play everywhere.

That would be a good system to follow - give each manager two 'challenges' (in American Football terms, that's a red flag that they throw onto the field). If they challenge say a red card and are deemed to be correct, then they retain said challenge. If they're deemed to be incorrect both times they challenge then they cannot challenge anymore.

Obviously though they'd have to limit what you could challenge - probably to dismissals (both a second yellow [and if the first one wasn't a bookable offence, then tough because the player should have controlled themselves], or a straight red), handballs and contentious goals. You'd probably have to add fouls in the penalty area to that too.

It would slow down the game, but at this point in time I'd be all for that as officiating is beyond a joke right now. As long as the correct decision is reached.

I am not in favour of replay technology at the match. What I am in favour of, and I think we need it big time, is video technology to punish these cheaters and floppers. Use the video and have a panel to reveiw incidents from games and start dishing out some HEFTY suspensions.

I think with this in place a lot of these "difficult" decisions will go away, quite frankly a lot of them are being generated by unsportsmanlike play from flopping players. Stomp that out first and then see where we sit.

I agree 100%. Refs are under unprecendented scrutiny, but also face unprecedented cheating in the modern game.

Let the games flow, but cane the Drogbas, Terrys, Ronaldos (and, to be frank, the McCarthys) afterwards. Diving would soon be up there with talking yourself into a red card for letting your team mates down. We'd stamp it out in a fortnight!

Simon

I agree 100%. Refs are under unprecendented scrutiny, but also face unprecedented cheating in the modern game.

Let the games flow, but cane the Drogbas, Terrys, Ronaldos (and, to be frank, the McCarthys) afterwards. Diving would soon be up there with talking yourself into a red card for letting your team mates down. We'd stamp it out in a fortnight!

Simon

Exactly. Why can't the FA retrospectively punish the divers and cheaters or more to the point, why don't they?

Exactly. Why can't the FA retrospectively punish the divers and cheaters or more to the point, why don't they?

IIRC its FIFA that is blocking it.

I don't agree with this, but here's my understanding of FIFA's reasons:

They oppose video reviews as the elite leagues in the 3rd world can't afford the kit. The Premiership (and other top European leagues) can afford it and the lower leagues can do without* but they won't sanction a system that's not affordable for, say, the Angolan top division.

* lots of precedent for this: squad numbers, transfer window, 4th official, cameras at every game all came into the lower leagues after the top division.

Simon :brfc:

i'm not a fan of all this video technology until it has been tried and tested, i think it could ruin the game and end up like american footy with stoppages and time outs and challenges on the decisions.

i can hear it now, theres a flag on the play, no it's not offside, illegal contact, 10 yard penalty!!!

wot ever happened to jumpers for goal posts, a kick about with mates in a the park and honest fairplay in the game?

Big money crept in and stole the peoples game, that's what happened. :ph34r:

Having been at the game and puzzled by the decisions of the referee Dowd at the time, his decision making was spot on having seen the TV replays. As soft a penalty as it was, and as inconclusive from the referees point of view Midos handball was, the laws of the game state that Tugay was the last man and his slight trip denied a goal scoring opportunity which meant nothing other than ....a red card.

Rather than Rovers and supporters complaining about the official who acted in accordance with the Laws of the game, he deserves credit for his perfomance, Rovers and everybody should ask for clarification on the laws of the game or seek for amendments to them if they have a problem with what they saw with the outcomes or the actions taken by the referee at the time.

I hold my hand up and say that Video technology in this game wasnt needed because the official got it right on the day. Full credit to Mr.Dowd if thats his name

Edited by JAL

* lots of precedent for this: squad numbers, transfer window, 4th official, cameras at every game all came into the lower leagues after the top division.

Simon :brfc:

Disagree that any of those have the status of being a precedent for such an important change to the game as this would be. None of them actually affect the game itself except for possibly the fourth official. The rest are all largely important outside the 90 minutes, if they have much import at all. This would be a huge step forward and can't be compared to any other changes before as it will be something fundamentally new to the game.

Yet although I understand the reasoning of FIFA I still can't see it makes too much sense. The Premiership or La Liga or The Champions League cannot held back because of some worries that poorer leagues cannot have it. They don't tend to be broadcast live around the world.

There are better reasons for both not introducing it or bringing it in gradually.

That would be a good system to follow - give each manager two 'challenges' (in American Football terms, that's a red flag that they throw onto the field). If they challenge say a red card and are deemed to be correct, then they retain said challenge. If they're deemed to be incorrect both times they challenge then they cannot challenge anymore.

Actually, if you win a challenge you are NOT charged a timeout and if you lose it you are. Being charged a timeout is bad, seing as timeouts are important in a strategic sense towards the end of halfs specially. In the NFL you can't challenge everything either, certain things are not eligable for challenges while other things are. I don't think a challenge system would work in our game but active video refereeing would.

In my opinion the game as we know it is almost completely ruined. There is so much playfaking, diving, fake injuries and general unsportsmanlike conduct going around...and that's just the players. Add to that, that the officials can not do their job in a competent manner and they are getting PAID for said job, watching football is rapidly becoming a waste of time. I can not understand the sentiment that people want "incidents" to talk about post game for the sake of it. Being constantly cheated during games leaves nothing but a bad taste in my mouth and I really don't want to discuss it after the game, I want to know why my club got screwed by a man who can not do his job. Anyway, video would not eliminate things to talk about, but you would at least be safe in the knowledge that whatever happened was as close to fair as you are going to get it.

I think that video should be used for goalline incidents, questionable disallowed goals (through offsides that are though to call), difficult penalty incidents and certain red cards. Some cards are clear cut, these do not need reviewing. Others are not, like Tugay's. There should be a booth system where a video referee can review the incident while being in contact with the official on the pitch. I would also LOVE for the main referee to have a mic on so he could convey to the crowd just exactly what is happening, NFL style. If a player is sent off, he should tell us why.

I see no reason why this would interfere with "the flow of the game". We already have cheaters who playfake that do that for us already. I have no trouble with breaks in the game for the sake of fairness. At least I would know that we are treated right on the night of the game.

I would also LOVE for the main referee to have a mic on so he could convey to the crowd just exactly what is happening

Dowd, over the tannoy following Mido's hand ball: "I couldn't see a thing to be honest, I was stood in the wrong place. The linesman was day dreaming, he didn't see the incident. It's Tottenham. No hand ball. Play on!"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.