BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Jimmy Hill And The Ballgirl

A colleague of mine here in scouseland has just asked me if I can remember the girl who threw the ball back in when we played Liverpool way back in the 80's in the FA Cup. The reason he is asking is that his mate is claiming to be seeing her now.

I remember the incident and Jimmy Hill's classic on MOD but I cannot remember her name. Can anyone help ?

A colleague of mine here in scouseland has just asked me if I can remember the girl who threw the ball back in when we played Liverpool way back in the 80's in the FA Cup. The reason he is asking is that his mate is claiming to be seeing her now.

I remember the incident and Jimmy Hill's classic on MOD but I cannot remember her name. Can anyone help ?

Just for us young 'uns (well, 24) can someone describe what happend?

In a nushell, she had the ball almost near the corner flag deep in stoppage time. She quickly gave it back to the Liverpool Player, and hey presto Super put through his own net.

On MOTD The Chin said it was the ball girls fault as she had thrown the ball back too quickly!

• Backroom

The chap who said the ball girl's name was Maynard is spot on - she was the daughter of late Selwyn Froggit/Greengrass actor Bill Maynard who lived in Helmshore

His real name was Walter Williams... So I very much doubt his daughter would have taken his 'stage name' ;)

Me too.

I think Steve McMahon got sent off at Anfield, Howard Gayle got him sent off and smirked irresistably. They were still too good for us with 10 men then - anyone who thinks Chelsea are a good side should've seen Liverppol from about 76 to 1991 they were the best domestic club side we've ever produced.

The chap who said the ball girl's name was Maynard is spot on - she was the daughter of late Selwyn Froggit/Greengrass actor Bill Maynard who lived in Helmshore

I think Bill Maynard is still alive actually

There's got to be a joke in here somewhere (with apologies in advance)....

Starter for 10...

Can't he tell whether it's her by how quick she grabs his balls? ;)

Me too.

I think Steve McMahon got sent off at Anfield, Howard Gayle got him sent off and smirked irresistably. They were still too good for us with 10 men then - anyone who thinks Chelsea are a good side should've seen Liverppol from about 76 to 1991 they were the best domestic club side we've ever produced.

You are quite correct when you say she is the daugther of Bill Maynard, but not the Heartbeat character of "Greengrass". Her Father is Bill Maynard, a local Blackburn guy who is a regular contributor to Touchline tales in the Lancashire Telegraph and a committee member of Blackburn Sunday Football League

she featured on the front cover of 4000 holes shortly afterwards. Her dad spoke to us in the aquaduct and was after the original photo as he was quite chuffed with it. I dont remember his name but i remember him telling me that he was involved in local league football or youth football at the time, so i would think John Howarth is right.

Guest fernhurstblue

i can confirm that the girl was called gillian maynard ..... she was in my year at school, and was a rovers fan before it was fashionable (take note other people who left witton park in 1991, ha ha). she got loads of grief, i wonder what ever happened to her :rover:

Im only 22 but I went to both games. Remember the first one coz my old man blamed Bobby Mimms more so than super atko or the ball girl! If anyone ever sees the goal again look out for how slow Mimms is trying to get across to it. Remember as well at anfield we had the whole of the end behind the goal for the replay. These days we'd struggle to take a 1000!

Im only 22 but I went to both games. Remember the first one coz my old man blamed Bobby Mimms more so than super atko or the ball girl! If anyone ever sees the goal again look out for how slow Mimms is trying to get across to it. Remember as well at anfield we had the whole of the end behind the goal for the replay. These days we'd struggle to take a 1000!

I don't think you can blame Mimms for being slow to get across. Why would he go across when Super Atko should clearly have had it well covered?

Super Atko - For all the good games he had after this, notably the Dalglish era ones, he's still stuck with that damn own goal! Poor chap!

I don't think you can blame Mimms for being slow to get across. Why would he go across when Super Atko should clearly have had it well covered?

Super Atko - For all the good games he had after this, notably the Dalglish era ones, he's still stuck with that damn own goal! Poor chap!

Super atko is also stuck with the accolade of cheesiest celebration ever. When he wins the second penalty in the play off final 92!

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.