BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Watford Preview

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only midfielder in the prem I can think of outside the top four who does the scholes/Lampard thing is tim cahill. And he has the luxery of being in a five man midfield. same goes for nolan at bolton.

Funny isn't it how those two rarely get linked with other teams? They have been top players for their 'little' clubs for a few years yet there is rarely any speculation about them leaving for greener pastures. Yet MGP puts a couple of months of form together and the press are full of it! Same for the likes of Benni, Nelsen, Bentley etc.

I expect a good game, very few fans (around 15,000 odd would be my guess)

First team to score wins, Rovers 3-1.

Close enough.

i think it will be a decent attendence

about 4 of my mates are going that dont usually go..

and i cant see much change from a defeat here

we are cursed

Scott, get a grip!

Funny isn't it how those two rarely get linked with other teams? They have been top players for their 'little' clubs for a few years yet there is rarely any speculation about them leaving for greener pastures. Yet MGP puts a couple of months of form together and the press are full of it! Same for the likes of Benni, Nelsen, Bentley etc.

Legacy of 1995. Still not forgiven.

I'm glad I can trust the Rovers to prove me wrong. They did well, although another couple of goals would have been welcome.

I was cursing Bentley's selfishness when Bert overlapped for the umpteenth time and within seconds lauding him for a superb cross for our third (Benni's) goal. :rolleyes:

Dunn played well. In fact no-one had a bad game.

Nice to see a referee that lets a game flow, has "words" with the players instead of flashing cards all the time a la Mike Riley. OK, there were a few elbows but on the whole it wasn't a dirty game.

And finally, talking about holes, that near the touchline on the riverside needs filling in before someone gets a serious injury. The Watford No2 had to be stretchered off after going down it and wrenching his knee/ankle. I think it's something to do with the pitch watering system.

dunny was brilliant against chelsea, and put in a shift against watford...

he offers us something different in midfield, that mokoena, tugay , savage and reid dont..he runs at players..takes players on..

he's working hard, and i for one am glad he came home..

Okay, I think I understand where JAL is coming from, not that I agree. JAL is looking for Dunny to be a creative force in the center of the field making the cutting inside passes the spring a forward down the center or running at the central defence and letting the strikers run and play off him. He did that in his first stint with us, and he's still shown flashes of it in his return, but nothing consistent and did nothing last night to that effect. Is that the basic concern JAL?

We have the axe and savage to fill the defensive role, and in reality Reidy is a combative midfielder who's not an atrist with his passing, but has that cannon of a shot. Other than the aging Tugay, we don't have a player in the central midfield that can cut apart an opposing defence, based on Dunny current form. But, I really don't mind, as long as we keep MGP and Bentley, we don't NEED that type of attacking central midfielder. Our wing play is among the best in the prem. I really can't think of a team in the prem that consistently runs out 2 wingers that play on the wings as much as our side, and in reality, we also have quite a few "reserves" that also like to stay out wide (peter, emo, gally). Because we attack along the wings so much, and because we stretch the field so wide, we need our midfielders to cover that space in the middle, and be more defensive, and let the attacks run though our 2 most creative players. If either or both is sold, I'll join in JALs doom and gloom, but for now, I'm content. I think a creative and attacking midfielder is a luxury that we can't afford financially, and I think might leave us too exposed in the center of the park.

A good solid professional performance from the lads!.....Samba and Roberts impressed tonight. :tu:

16,035........WTF! :(

Our lowest attendance in the Prem for god knows how many years.I can only reiterate that hopefully good season ticket sales and plenty of walk-on's next season will see an end to these ever decreasing and pitiful attendances like tonights.

where were the 6 thousand stayaways from sunday..surly there arnt 6 thousand night shift workers??

Okay, I think I understand where JAL is coming from, not that I agree. JAL is looking for Dunny to be a creative force in the center of the field making the cutting inside passes the spring a forward down the center or running at the central defence and letting the strikers run and play off him. He did that in his first stint with us, and he's still shown flashes of it in his return, but nothing consistent and did nothing last night to that effect. Is that the basic concern JAL?

I also understand what JAL is getting at.

It's just that his first comments after the game were 'How poor poor poor was David Dunn tonight against next seasons championship level team. 4/10 for tonights performance".

Which is cobblers.

We have the axe and savage to fill the defensive role, and in reality Reidy is a combative midfielder who's not an atrist with his passing, but has that cannon of a shot. Other than the aging Tugay, we don't have a player in the central midfield that can cut apart an opposing defence, based on Dunny current form. But, I really don't mind, as long as we keep MGP and Bentley, we don't NEED that type of attacking central midfielder. Our wing play is among the best in the prem. I really can't think of a team in the prem that consistently runs out 2 wingers that play on the wings as much as our side, and in reality, we also have quite a few "reserves" that also like to stay out wide (peter, emo, gally). Because we attack along the wings so much, and because we stretch the field so wide, we need our midfielders to cover that space in the middle, and be more defensive, and let the attacks run though our 2 most creative players. If either or both is sold, I'll join in JALs doom and gloom, but for now, I'm content. I think a creative and attacking midfielder is a luxury that we can't afford financially, and I think might leave us too exposed in the center of the park.

Yes, this is my basic concern USRoverME.

When your attacking you dont just limit your team to attack just on the wings,do Manu, no, you use every part of the pitch and centre is every bit as important as out wide.

Mozzer claims Dunny runs at people and takes them on, that is something i'm waiting to see happen i havent witnessed it yet, definitely not last night just a step over then pass back to Warnock and a lot of running just to stay in the game.

Mark Hughes and his staff arent stupid and i'm sure they'll be giving Dunny every opportunity to improve his game because what i'm saying is if he doesnt improve he'll be out the door and a new face for competition wouldnt hurt would it.

I'd argue that Manu and Chelsea both typically only play int eh center and on one wing, and then there are even teams like Bolton that typically only play down the center (and from set pieces).

I'm not saying we can't play down the center with our setup, but just that we prefer to play down the wings, and that set up creates so much space that running at the central defence is probably discouraged due to the concentration on defence that is required.

Archived